C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Intake swap now code 44 lean

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 05:55 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

86 early iron head stock except for 23lb injectors.

I replaced my stock intake with an edelbrock 3860 manifold and edelbrock runners. Both fairly ported. Car ran perfect prior to swapping intakes. Now the engine runs poorly. Surges, occasionally pops in the plenum, and comes close to stalling or stalls out. This is at or near idle. Engine runs good at higher rpm's. I have followed the flow chart in the FSM and am at the point where I believe the problem is an inside leak.
Here's a list of component condition and what I've done.

Set timing per FSM
Checked for vacuum leaks with propane. I checked every mating surface I could on the plenum, runners and manifold, nothing found. No vacuum or exhaust leaks heard.
Egr checked (holds vacuum). Egr is clean and a couple years old. Pintle seats properly and seals.
IAC is new and working.
TPS is set to .54. TPS reads ok going up and down, no jumps or crazy numbers.
Coolant temperature sensor is new and reads correctly and within range of the dash reading.
Manifold air temp is normal.
MAF is newer.
O2 newer and checked out fine.
Fuel pressure is a solid 40 static and running. Fuel filter was replaced last summer(500 miles).
Plug wires are new and triple checked for correct placement. Also the distributor coil is new.

I have a snap on scanner and the O2 nose dives down to 0 or close to it and the integrator and block learn values both jump up. Usually will not stay in closed loop for long and gives a code 44 lean.

Trying to make a last ditch effort before pulling the intake I decided to replace the egr, O2 sensor and ecm. I'm not a parts changer so I hated doing that but I really was hoping it would be one of those. When I changed the O2 sensor there was no sign of coolant residue on the old one. No smoke coming from the exhaust either. I'm attaching a video of the scanner. It is uploading now.

My question is: if there's something I'm overlooking or in your opinion is it a leak inside and just pull the intake?? Beyond frustrated.

Last edited by Dt86; 09-19-2015 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:57 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

I know it sounds like a leak in the video but that is just the microphone.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:48 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

get some spray or smoke, find the leak. I think it's there.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:13 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Originally Posted by pologreen1
get some spray or smoke, find the leak. I think it's there.
Smoke is a great idea thanks.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:44 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Went to the gas station and got a "Dutch". Felt like a teenage pot head and the clerk looked at me like I was one. Anyway put a rubber glove over the throttle body and used the brake booster hose to blow smoke into. Had some coming from the front of the intake.
When I installed it edelbrock called for 25ft lbs torque on the bolts. I used that and I think that is the problem as the FSM calls for 35ft lbs. going to try re-torquing them and see what happens.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:02 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Dt86
Went to the gas station and got a "Dutch". Felt like a teenage pot head and the clerk looked at me like I was one. Anyway put a rubber glove over the throttle body and used the brake booster hose to blow smoke into. Had some coming from the front of the intake.
When I installed it edelbrock called for 25ft lbs torque on the bolts. I used that and I think that is the problem as the FSM calls for 35ft lbs. going to try re-torquing them and see what happens.
Hopefully that is all. Suck to take it all apart again.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:18 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Originally Posted by pologreen1
Hopefully that is all. Suck to take it all apart again.
Yes it sure does. But now I can remove and replace a throttle body, plenum and runners in 20 min lol.

Get notified of new replies

To Intake swap now code 44 lean

Quick Reply: Intake swap now code 44 lean