C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Ordered Corsa catback exhaust for my convertible. Any ideas whats included?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 08:54 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Default Ordered Corsa catback exhaust for my convertible. Any ideas whats included?

I ordered a catback corsa system for my 87 convertible today and it doesn't seem to come with new bolts at the cat to exhaust point. Suggestions on where to get new bolts?

I know when I installed the power effects exhaust on my 86 the bolts were in horrible shape so I'm betting I'm going to run into that again. So it would be really great to order new bolts so I'll have them for the install.

Anyone with the corsa kit have any suggestions or tips on installing this? Looks easy but who knows.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:47 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

installed a Corsa cat back on a 96, slightly different exhaust, but, hey it's just a bolt on exhaust. Did mine with the car on jackstands; put pieces in place but don't cinch anything down until everything is where you want it to be...a couple of little bottle jacks really helps getting and holding everything up in place.

Did your's come with the "TorquaClamps" or some other such name (possibly Italian) for big muffler clamp? They worked pretty well.

I put some anti seize on the pipes where they slipped together; also on all the threaded fasteners. Really nothing to it.

Oh, now would be a good time to get some new exhaust hangers, or at least the rubber parts thereof.

On my car I love the sound...NO DRONE at cruise...nice growl during acceleration...the sound at idle is a look at me, I'm special kinda sound, not an obnoxious "give me a ticket, I know I have it coming" kinda sound; yeah we all know what that is.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:31 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

The Corsa I installed on my '94 LT1 car came with everything I needed. I think I did re-use the bolts at the cat, but if yours are in bad shape, I'd suggest you measure them and get replacements while you're waiting for the Corsa system to arrive. Any decent auto parts store should be able to hook you up with what you need, or possibly even the hardware section at Lowe's or HD, if you know what sizes you need. Consider buying stainless steel bolts for corrosion resistance. As mtwoolford recommended, slather all bolts and clamps with anti-sieze, and you'll thank yourself for it years later.

It's not a difficult installation. Just take your time, be patient, and do a good job. It's mostly common sense, but do read the installation instructions that come with it. They're pretty well written.

Live well,

SJW
Old 09-30-2015, 12:18 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by crowz
I ordered a catback corsa system for my 87 convertible today and it doesn't seem to come with new bolts at the cat to exhaust point. Suggestions on where to get new bolts?

I know when I installed the power effects exhaust on my 86 the bolts were in horrible shape so I'm betting I'm going to run into that again. So it would be really great to order new bolts so I'll have them for the install.

Anyone with the corsa kit have any suggestions or tips on installing this? Looks easy but who knows.
I've installed a couple corsa cat-back systems on L98 cars. overall, fairly simple. as for the hardware needed to connect to the main cat, plain old hardware store nuts/bolts will do. the size needed is M10-1.5 x 50 - you may opt for stainless. I always use anti-seize on exhaust hardware, especially with stainless. one thing to give a good inspection is the forward hanger (just aft of the main cat) - inspect the rubberized dogbone, and replace if necessary. i'm thinking the hanger is still available from GM, or as reproduction - about $12-$15. my corsa systems fit extremely well, although you will need to fiddle around for the perfect fit and alignment. the band clamps are quality, and torque specs are called out in the installation instructions - 35# i'm thinking. if you are in doubt on any of the rubber hangers - front and rear, bite the bullet and replace. on my last 90, the "pipe to differential" clearance ended up at .5-.75 inch.

Amazon.com: Walker 35241 Exhaust Insulator: Automotive Amazon.com: Walker 35241 Exhaust Insulator: Automotive

Amazon.com: Walker 35248 Hardware Hanger: Automotive Amazon.com: Walker 35248 Hardware Hanger: Automotive

Amazon.com: Permatex 77134 Nickel Anti-Seize Lubricant, .5 oz Tube: Automotive Amazon.com: Permatex 77134 Nickel Anti-Seize Lubricant, .5 oz Tube: Automotive

overall corsa is a top shelf product - well made with quality fit and finish. you WILL be a happy camper with this system! BTW, i'm retrofitting the 86-91 corsa, cat back system to my 85. this will be system #5. i'm replacing the entire system from exhaust manifolds to the mufflers, and every nut/bolt and hanger in the system. the front y-pipe is walker stainless - catless - 2.5 mandrel bent, with a magnaflow super high flow main cat, and the corsa catback.

anyway, good luck with the installation. post a couple pics when done, and let us know how everything worked out -

Last edited by Joe C; 09-30-2015 at 12:52 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:29 AM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Will do on the picture posting. They didn't ship yesterday when I ordered so hopefully they will ship out today. Once I get the tracking number I'll have an idea how long I have to gather stuff up.

I wanted to put the power effects kit like I had on my 86 on the 87 convertible but they are pretty much out of business is the opinion I got talking to them. Since no droning was a must the corsa was my only real option.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:00 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mtwoolford
installed a Corsa cat back on a 96, slightly different exhaust, but, hey it's just a bolt on exhaust. Did mine with the car on jackstands; put pieces in place but don't cinch anything down until everything is where you want it to be...a couple of little bottle jacks really helps getting and holding everything up in place.

Did your's come with the "TorquaClamps" or some other such name (possibly Italian) for big muffler clamp? They worked pretty well.

I put some anti seize on the pipes where they slipped together; also on all the threaded fasteners. Really nothing to it.

Oh, now would be a good time to get some new exhaust hangers, or at least the rubber parts thereof.

On my car I love the sound...NO DRONE at cruise...nice growl during acceleration...the sound at idle is a look at me, I'm special kinda sound, not an obnoxious "give me a ticket, I know I have it coming" kinda sound; yeah we all know what that is.
ASAP I want to get too a corsa catback for mine 1995.

Did you said you used jackstand to install exhaust, how many 4 or just 2 to raise just front end??
Old 09-30-2015, 07:35 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Thread hijack:

But I really wish corsa made a bigger pipe lightweight titanium exhaust (like they do for other cars) for the c4.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:53 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
Thread hijack:

But I really wish corsa made a bigger pipe lightweight titanium exhaust (like they do for other cars) for the c4.
Everything including "development" requires potential sales profitability and I certainly don't see potential sales driving the required development. Requires way to much tooling.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:57 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

Take a look at the Corsa Installation instructions. They cover it pretty well.

http://www.corsaperformance.com/medi...ll/INS5043.pdf

I used this info when I did a catback on my '88. Pretty easy. I reused the bolts to the cat. It might help to try spraying them with WD40/PB blaster/or your favorite for a few days prior to trying to take them off.

I put a Corsa catback on my '95 this year and it went pretty well too, but completely different from the L98 systems. The L98 systems are just the rear y pipe and mufflers.

Good luck with your project, it should look and sound a lot better.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:01 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Christi@n

Did you said you used jackstand to install exhaust, how many 4 or just 2 to raise just front end??
I actually ran the front wheels up some generic plastic wheel ramps; I used jackstands in the back; I'm no means petite, and I was able to slide under the car with sufficient clearance to accomplish what needed to be done.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:52 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

I actually ran the front wheels up some generic plastic wheel ramps; I used jackstands in the back; I'm no means petite, and I was able to slide under the car with sufficient clearance to accomplish what needed to be done.
I use ramps too, just i'm not so practical to get rear end on jack stand after front end is ramped.

Do you lift with floor jack on rear diff?

Last edited by Christi@n; 09-30-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:01 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Do you lift with floor jack on rear diff?
well I guess you could but the exhaust system is in the way

Assuming the front is already on a jackstand or ramp, I usually put my jack underneath the bottom of a rear shock mount and jack up one wheel at the time.

One thing, when placing a jack stand or jack underneath the car, remember there are brake and fuel lines in the same general area...be careful, ... don't pinch anything.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:28 AM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Well this is getting annoying fast. I ordered the corsa exhaust from zip-corvette Tuesday. But it was late in the day so I figured heck they just didn't get it out that day. Site showed "In Stock". Also the receipt email said I would receive an email when it shipped.

I called today to find out if it had shipped. Nope. Was told that I would receive an email when it shipped. Well its 11:30 tonight so I guess it didn't go out today either.

I'll call tomorrow and see what the deal is. They better not pull the "its out of stock" crap. I know it seems a bit early to get ill but Ive had crappy luck with everything Ive ordered for my vette lately with 99% being the website shows in stock but it wasn't.

I host store sites for a living so I know just how easy it is for a company to keep that accurate if they would bother.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:06 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by crowz
Well this is getting annoying fast. I ordered the corsa exhaust from zip-corvette Tuesday. But it was late in the day so I figured heck they just didn't get it out that day. Site showed "In Stock". Also the receipt email said I would receive an email when it shipped.

I called today to find out if it had shipped. Nope. Was told that I would receive an email when it shipped. Well its 11:30 tonight so I guess it didn't go out today either.

I'll call tomorrow and see what the deal is. They better not pull the "its out of stock" crap. I know it seems a bit early to get ill but Ive had crappy luck with everything Ive ordered for my vette lately with 99% being the website shows in stock but it wasn't.

I host store sites for a living so I know just how easy it is for a company to keep that accurate if they would bother.
most places don't stock some of these big ticket items, but are just the middle man in the process. i'd bet zip just has the exhaust system drop shipped directly from corsa. hang in there - I've dealt with zip in the past, and directly with corsa - both are stand-up companies. if you should cancel the order, PM me before you re-order elsewhere -
Old 10-01-2015, 08:37 AM
Tom@Zip
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crowz,
Feel free to contact me directly, at 800-962-9632 ext 240 so I can look into this on your behalf.
Kind Regards,
Tom @ Zip
Corvette Tech Articles | Corvette Parts Blog
Old 10-01-2015, 08:56 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

well I guess you could but the exhaust system is in the way

Assuming the front is already on a jackstand or ramp, I usually put my jack underneath the bottom of a rear shock mount and jack up one wheel at the time.

One thing, when placing a jack stand or jack underneath the car, remember there are brake and fuel lines in the same general area...be careful, ... don't pinch anything.
I've heard that a frame twist can happen this way, we wont to twist vette
Old 10-01-2015, 08:58 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom@Zip
Crowz,
Feel free to contact me directly, at 800-962-9632 ext 240 so I can look into this on your behalf.
Kind Regards,
Tom @ Zip
Have you got a quote for mine 1995? Cat back

Get notified of new replies

To Ordered Corsa catback exhaust for my convertible. Any ideas whats included?

Old 10-01-2015, 09:26 AM
Tom@Zip
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Christian,
Here is a link to the different Corsa systems available for the C4 Corvette.
The 95' LT1 cars would use EX-591,
I hope this helps,
Tom @ Zip
Old 10-01-2015, 09:55 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

I've heard that a frame twist can happen this way, we wont to twist vette
better safe than sorry
Old 10-01-2015, 11:32 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom@Zip
Christian,
Here is a link to the different Corsa systems available for the C4 Corvette.
The 95' LT1 cars would use EX-591,
I hope this helps,
Tom @ Zip
How about shipping cost??

Sent me a PM if you want

Quick Reply: Ordered Corsa catback exhaust for my convertible. Any ideas whats included?