C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Brake hose failure - does this mean bigger issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 05:02 PM
BucfanTitan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Brake hose failure - does this mean bigger issues?

When driving home yesterday in my 95 the brake pressure light came on the brake pedal would fall right to the floor boards when pressed. After investigating today I noticed that the fluid is leaking on the rear passenger side.

I have a few concerns

1. I am pretty certain that the 20 year old hose is bad even though I see more fluid on the brake line and nut by the hose connection.

2. With this being the first hose to actually fail on me should I be concerned about bigger issues causing the hose to brake. Like damaged caliper or a hub that is near the end of life? if so symptoms to be looking for?

The car only has 30,000 miles if that matters.

Thank you everyone for you help. Just grateful that this broke close to home not when I was away.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:58 PM
1994DelawareCoup
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=BucfanTitan;1590622640

The car only has 30,000 miles if that matters.

Thank you everyone for you help. Just grateful that this broke close to home not when I was away.[/QUOTE]

it's the age of the rubber and possibly a bungee Jump (caliper not supported and falling) or two when bake work was being done.

Replace all four lines
Old 10-03-2015, 06:20 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I would certainly replace all 4 of the rubber brake lines. Many people here replace the lines with stainless flex lines. I have used Earl's lines and never had any problems with them. My '87 is used primarily for autocross and track use so the brakes get a workout. Another good flex line is Goodridge; you can get them from Tire Rack.

It would be a good idea to do a complete brake fluid flush and refill with a good quality DOT3 fluid. Castrol LMA or the Ford HD Motorsports fluid would do the job.

You should use some brake parts cleaner to clean off the are on the line that is leaking. Once clean, have somebody start the engine and apply the brakes. That should allow you to see just where the leak is coming from. Even if the fitting is just loose, replacing the 4 lines is still a good idea.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:56 PM
Matatk
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree with what was posted above. Replace the lines on all four calipers and bleed the brakes. You'll probably be surprised by how much better the braking feels
Old 10-09-2015, 09:30 PM
BucfanTitan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok the parts have arrived now the fun part of the project the replacement.

Thanks for the advice
Old 10-10-2015, 05:29 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by BucfanTitan
Ok the parts have arrived now the fun part of the project the replacement.

Thanks for the advice

Were there 8 copper washers supplied with your hoses? If not you'll need them before starting. Before tearing into it I'd compare whatever product you bought to what's on the car regarding length and that it has what appear to be appropriate fittings on each end. Banjo bolt fittings on caliper side and female for "bubble" on the chassis end.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:32 AM
Mtn Billy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I would certainly replace all 4 of the rubber brake lines. Many people here replace the lines with stainless flex lines. I have used Earl's lines and never had any problems with them. My '87 is used primarily for autocross and track use so the brakes get a workout. Another good flex line is Goodridge; you can get them from Tire Rack.

It would be a good idea to do a complete brake fluid flush and refill with a good quality DOT3 fluid. Castrol LMA or the Ford HD Motorsports fluid would do the job.

You should use some brake parts cleaner to clean off the are on the line that is leaking. Once clean, have somebody start the engine and apply the brakes. That should allow you to see just where the leak is coming from. Even if the fitting is just loose, replacing the 4 lines is still a good idea.
Yup what he said..

Get notified of new replies

To Brake hose failure - does this mean bigger issues?

Quick Reply: Brake hose failure - does this mean bigger issues?