C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1996 Corvette pulls slightly to the riight

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 01:41 PM
wcpurcell
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Corvette pulls slightly to the riight

My late model C4 pulls to the right slightly. I thought it could be just the crown in the road, but it seems to do it even on flat ground. I've had it aligned, but it stills pulls slightly. Could it be bad tires? I've made sure tire inflation is at spec. Could it be a bad rack & pinion?

I bought this car just two years ago with 25,000 miles on it. It now has 31,000. The right front wheel appears to have a little curb scrape on it. Now I'm wondering if the mark is indicative of some damage???
Old 10-09-2015, 02:01 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

if it pulls it's either the alignment or a tire. you can swap tires from side to side since tires a staggered. If all the same front to rear. to determine if it's a tire. Bad Steering gear is unlikely....worn out parts should be caught during pre alignment inspection. Correct prior to alignment. Internal steering gear leakage will either cause lack of assist or you will need to fight to keep wheel from turning. The modern computerized alignment machines today can pick up incorrect steering angles that could be missed in the "old days" indicating something is bent. Even so it's only as good as the operator. Take car to best alignment place you can find and get a 4 wheel alignment. As a rule 1/2 degree lead to left is put in for road crown.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:28 PM
wcpurcell
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kevova
if it pulls it's either the alignment or a tire. You can swap tires from side to side since tires a staggered. If all the same front to rear. To determine if it's a tire. Bad steering gear is unlikely....worn out parts should be caught during pre alignment inspection. Correct prior to alignment. Internal steering gear leakage will either cause lack of assist or you will need to fight to keep wheel from turning. The modern computerized alignment machines today can pick up incorrect steering angles that could be missed in the "old days" indicating something is bent. Even so it's only as good as the operator. Take car to best alignment place you can find and get a 4 wheel alignment. As a rule 1/2 degree lead to left is put in for road crown.
thank you so much for the information. It makes me feel better that it is probably not a bent steering gear.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:12 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

I've seen, after tire pressure and alignment, etc. was okay, that a tire had a 'set' that caused a slight pull.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:40 PM
grandspt
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 191 Posts

On my 1996 GrandSport I had the exact same thing happen the car would pull to the right going down a perfectly straight road. After going to three alignment shops the third one recommended swapping the left and right tires. The pull went away so
I installed a set of new Mickey Thompson Street Comp tires and now my car goes straight.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:11 PM
chevyman_ky
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I fixed many of leads on cars by switching tires one side to another. kind of hard to do with directional tires, if same size front to rear switch those.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:14 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

My car pulled to the left for many years. It went away when I bought new tires.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:00 AM
94c4seminole
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this problem after getting an alignment at Pep Boys. The pull was still there afterward, so I went and got my money back.

When I went to a true alignment shop, they told me it was because shops like Pep Boys only check for toe angle. This shop measured toe, caster, and camber. A small adjustment in the caster angle of the left front fixed the pull. It has been driving straight ever since.

Get notified of new replies

To 1996 Corvette pulls slightly to the riight

Quick Reply: 1996 Corvette pulls slightly to the riight