C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

96 LT1 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 12:48 AM
kevinpepsimech
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 LT1 wont start

I have a new LT1 with 3000k miles on it- I replaced the opti spark but with a cheaper one because I was going to sell the car but had second thoughts- any way I was driving about 75 and lost all power like I ran out of gas and will not start at all, cold or hot- I put about 300 miles on the opti- If I hook up a reader will it still throw a code even though it wont start? Also anyone have experiences with the MSD opti? Any hints or suggestions would be great. Thank You.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:56 AM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

You can check for codes with a reader with key on/engine off. I had problems twice with the opti. The first time it threw a code and the second time no code. I currently have the MSD unit. The prior owner installed one and after I owned the car for a year, it started stalling and threw the opti code. I pulled it and sent for a rebuild by MSD. That involved a new bearing and sensor system. That rebuild started giving me trouble after a few months. If I floored it, the engine stumbled and surged. No codes. I finally figured it had to be the opti. Pulled it and the bearing was growling when I spun it. Sent it back and they rebuilt it for free. And the tech called me and explained that the opti I had was an early one. Since then they updated the housing, bearing and sensor system. So he built me a new one with all the updates. And it has worked fine for the last year. So at this time I think you'll be alright with MSD for an opti - if the opti turns out to be the problem.

Also check the operation of the opti vent system with a vacuum tester like a Mityvac. The restrictor orifice in the filter can clog. The filter is the larger white/blue disk in the vacuum line going to the drivers side of the intake manifold. Keeping the fresh air vent system working properly will add the longevity.

Good luck with the diagnosis.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:55 AM
kevinpepsimech
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reply

I will try that. It's funny that you said when you floor it it sputtered. Mine was doing that right after installing the new one so maybe it was bad from new. I found an oem delphi for 400 on ebay and the msd is about the same, would you do am oem or try the msd? Thanks for your help
Old 10-13-2015, 11:31 AM
Silver96ce
Drifting

If the Delphi is new old stock, I would buy it immediately. Unfortunately from what I have seen, they are all rebuilt. If it is a rebuilt, I would pick the MSD over it.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:11 PM
bow tie guy
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinpepsimech
I have a new LT1 with 3000k miles on it- I replaced the opti spark but with a cheaper one because I was going to sell the car but had second thoughts- any way I was driving about 75 and lost all power like I ran out of gas and will not start at all, cold or hot- I put about 300 miles on the opti- If I hook up a reader will it still throw a code even though it wont start? Also anyone have experiences with the MSD opti? Any hints or suggestions would be great. Thank You.
Do you have fuel pressure ?
Old 08-04-2017, 04:25 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver96ce
If the Delphi is new old stock, I would buy it immediately. Unfortunately from what I have seen, they are all rebuilt. If it is a rebuilt, I would pick the MSD over it.

many people have problems with the msd.

the msd is guaranteered to not have a mitsubishi opticAl sensor whereas a rebuilt unit 'might' have a used mitsubishi sensor

i would rather have a used genuine mitsubishi optical sensor in it vs a new chinese optical sensor
Old 08-04-2017, 10:19 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
many people have problems with the msd.

the msd is guaranteered to not have a mitsubishi opticAl sensor whereas a rebuilt unit 'might' have a used mitsubishi sensor

i would rather have a used genuine mitsubishi optical sensor in it vs a new chinese optical sensor
After 1 and a 1/2 years, I hope he figured it out for himself. Otherwise he has a dandy 3300 lb. doorstop.

Oh and I would rather have a new Delphi, but that ain't going to happen, is it.

Last edited by Silver96ce; 08-04-2017 at 10:21 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 96 LT1 wont start

Quick Reply: 96 LT1 wont start