C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Convertible Hardtop Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 04:17 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Convertible Hardtop Questions

My 1996 CE convertible came to me with a GM hardtop, I'm the second owner. The first owner was GM North American Operations in Pontiac, MI. When I ordered a window sticker and build sheet, there was no mention of the hardtop on either document.

The question then is: can anyone having a C4 convertible with the hardtop and a window sticker/build sheet tell me how the hardtop option is identified as an option and where on the build sheet the hardtop is listed? I guess anything could happen on a GM Company car because it appears this one got built with a hardtop but it was not charged to the car. I have the special wrenches and the rear deck carpet that goes with the top, all appears to be factory original .
Old 10-15-2015, 04:52 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The factory hardtop was RPO CC2 and the cost was something like $1995.00 On the build sheet, the RPO codes should be in alphabetical order. On the windws sticker, there should be a line item for the hardtop and will show the price.

It could be that a previous owner bought a hardtop and the seller included all of the original pieces like the wrenches, the decklid protector, the brackets and maybe even the instruction sheet.

Is there any indication of the hardtop being painted? When a 'vert was ordered with the factory hardtop, after the car was assembled, it was transported to American Sunroof Company (IIRC, they were also in Bowling Green) where the hardtop was installed and the door glass was adjusted for both the hard and soft top. When the car was returned to the Assembly Plant, it was shipped to the selling dealer.

I think that the hardtop could also be ordered as a dealer-installed option. That might be the case with your car. There would have not been any listing of a factory-installed hardtop on either the build sheet or the window sticker.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:33 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
The factory hardtop was RPO CC2 and the cost was something like $1995.00 On the build sheet, the RPO codes should be in alphabetical order. On the windws sticker, there should be a line item for the hardtop and will show the price.
I didn't know the top could be a dealer installed option. It is painted Sebring Silver, as is the car, and it matches well. something that is hard to do with the silvers so I suspect it is factory, not body shop paint. No sign of RPO CC2 on the build sheet so it must have been an add-on after it left the line. Would there be any of the numbered blocks on the build sheet showing information, like block 37 shows "TOP" and "BLK" for the black soft top on CE convertibles? It has only had two owners, NAO and me so they must have added a top package. Is there a VIN number on the original equipment tops?
Old 10-16-2015, 07:36 PM
tr.dirks
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Below are snippets of my SPID label and window sticker. I highlighted the hardtop code and option. I have not looked for the VIN on the hardtop yet but I do plan to. Does anyone know where I should start looking?

Let me know if your interested in anything else.

Timothy
Old 10-18-2015, 07:13 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Originally Posted by tr.dirks
Below are snippets of my SPID label and window sticker. I highlighted the hardtop code and option. I have not looked for the VIN on the hardtop yet but I do plan to. Does anyone know where I should start looking?

Let me know if your interested in anything else.

Timothy
Thanks for the picture. My sticker and build sheet have no mention of the hardtop so, it must have been an add-on after production. Anyone know about the VIN being on the hardtop?
Old 10-19-2015, 10:10 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Some years ago when I had my '92 'vert, I bought a hardtop from a friend that came with his car when new (factory ordered). I don't recall ever seeing a VIN number stamped anywhere on the hardtop. But IIRC, there is very little metal showing on the hardtop itself. About the only place it may be would be on the metal receiver brackets, maybe up inside them??

You didn't say if you got the GM Installation Guide, but here's some pics of the pages:

Last edited by c4cruiser; 10-19-2015 at 10:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
1984Z51auto (10-21-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 01:50 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Didn't get the guide but I have an FSM with the instructions. I'll print up the pages you sent also.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:28 AM
tr.dirks
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally got around to taking a close look at my hardtop and the below is what I found. The sticker was located inside the drivers side pillar and was barely holding on. I was able to easily remove it and have since reattached it with rubber cement. As you can see there was a mixup in the car assignment with the initial serial crossed out. The second serial matches the last part of my cars vin.

The following users liked this post:
1984Z51auto (07-20-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 12:24 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Thanks for the additional information. I didn't know about a sticker for these hardtops.

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible Hardtop Questions

Quick Reply: Convertible Hardtop Questions