C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Starter Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 10:08 AM
spro2395
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Starter Help

Howdy All,
I put a set of headers on my 85 and the stock starter was to big so I bought a knock off Tilton mini starter from a local speed shop. Well know I have the dreaded heat soak problem were it wont start when its hot so I'm done with that thing! Ive seen where you can use a factory LT1 (I think) mini gear reduction starter but I need to know which one to buy.
Any help would be appreciated!!!
Old 10-21-2015, 12:56 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by spro2395
Howdy All,
I put a set of headers on my 85 and the stock starter was to big so I bought a knock off Tilton mini starter from a local speed shop. Well know I have the dreaded heat soak problem were it wont start when its hot so I'm done with that thing! Ive seen where you can use a factory LT1 (I think) mini gear reduction starter but I need to know which one to buy.
Any help would be appreciated!!!
The problem is not with the starter but the heat from the headers. Hopefully, yours are ceramic coated. If not, you can wrap them, as I had done (with the associated paint). Some claimed it would crystalize the metal, but I did not find that to be the case, perhaps due to thet paint, which can be hard to find, keeping moisture out. I've seen very few use it.

Having had the same issue, I will tell you NOT to try a starter blanket but a shield may solve the problem. Agreeing with HR Roy, from our convo two days ago, you want air to reach and cool the starter; distance is your friend.

The other heat-related issue is the much higher underhood temperature from headers, especially not thermally treated in some manner. It is very hard on all those plastic parts, read: electrical connectors.

I'd go so far as to highly recommend R&R of the headers for ceramic coating, for those reasons, possible SOTP performance increase from the improved thermal efficiency (I felt some), plus corrosion elimination with possible better long-term appearance.

Last edited by whalepirot; 10-21-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:06 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Could it be the starter? My starter is a Chevy one and I had a Triton one in my car before it was wrecked. So all my cars had headers and no heat soak.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:13 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by aklim
Could it be the starter? My starter is a Chevy one and I had a Triton one in my car before it was wrecked. So all my cars had headers and no heat soak.
His starter, or the solenoid, is quite likely damaged from the heat. Either way it may need repair/replacement. Tilton has a good rep, as does my IMI.

Headers are shaped differently and some, like my TPIS, are darn close to the starter.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:15 PM
spro2395
Racer

Originally Posted by whalepirot
The problem is not with the starter but the heat from the headers. Hopefully, yours are ceramic coated. If not, you can wrap them, as I had done (with the associated paint). Some claimed it would crystalize the metal, but I did not find that to be the case, perhaps due to thet paint, which can be hard to find, keeping moisture out. I've seen very few use it.

Having had the same issue, I will tell you NOT to try a starter blanket but a shield may solve the problem. Agreeing with HR Roy, from our convo two days ago, you want air to reach and cool the starter; distance is your friend.

The other heat-related issue is the much higher underhood temperature from headers, especially not thermally treated in some manner. It is very hard on all those plastic parts, read: electrical connectors.

I'd go so far as to highly recommend R&R of the headers for ceramic coating, for those reasons, possible SOTP performance increase from the improved thermal efficiency (I felt some), plus corrosion elimination with possible better long-term appearance.
My headers are ceramic coated and I believe whatever is going on happened the first time i autocrossed the car as I had problems as soon as it got hot. I did unfortunetly buy a blanket !
Old 10-21-2015, 01:17 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

I did unfortunetly buy a blanket !
So, I won't offer you mine!
Old 10-21-2015, 01:20 PM
aklim
Team Owner

His starter, or the solenoid, is quite likely damaged from the heat. Either way it may need repair/replacement. Tilton has a good rep, as does my IMI.

Headers are shaped differently and some, like my TPIS, are darn close to the starter.
I DO have TPIS and they are very close which is why I am not sure it isn't the starter.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:21 PM
spro2395
Racer

Mine is not a Tilton but it does look like one!!! I can't remember the brand (Ill post it later ). One of the guys I race with put an LT1 starter in his but he couldn't remember the year.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:22 PM
spro2395
Racer

I DO have TPIS and they are very close which is why I am not sure it isn't the starter.
Mine are Headmans and they are also very close. The stock big starter would never have fit.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:29 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Mine are Headmans and they are also very close. The stock big starter would never have fit.
Which is why I went to the mini starter but like I said, I didn't have those heat soak issues which makes me question the starter you got.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:30 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Mine is not a Tilton but it does look like one!!! I can't remember the brand (Ill post it later ). One of the guys I race with put an LT1 starter in his but he couldn't remember the year.
Oh, right... you said knock-off (mea culpa), so I suppose warranty is just a wish. Very, very little Chinese or Mexican stuff works for long, IMO.

I'd still get a shield that fits with whatever starter you choose. Unlike the warmth-retaining blanket, the shield will deflect some heat, while allowing cooling air in.

Was the engine modified?

Now, what do we do with these blankets? Years ago, folks put foil wrapped foodstuffs on their engines for hot lunches during trips.. maybe....
Old 10-21-2015, 01:38 PM
spro2395
Racer

Is it the big old style or the new gear reduction type?
Old 10-21-2015, 01:39 PM
spro2395
Racer

Oh, right... you said knock-off (mea culpa), so I suppose warranty is just a wish. Very, very little Chinese or Mexican stuff works for long, IMO.

I'd still get a shield that fits with whatever starter you choose. Unlike the warmth-retaining blanket, the shield will deflect some heat, while allowing cooling air in.

Was the engine modified?

Now, what do we do with these blankets? Years ago, folks put foil wrapped foodstuffs on their engines for hot lunches during trips.. maybe....
What did you end up with?
Old 10-21-2015, 01:40 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Is it the big old style or the new gear reduction type?
Gear reduction. Both in my Firebird with Ceremic coated Tri-Y headers and later Headman while I was planning something else. Then it got wrecked and the engine and trans got put into the Vette. This time with a Chevy starter that was gear reduction also.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:59 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Was the engine modified?

what do mean I still do that I go trail rideing with my jeep a cooler full of drinks and foil wraped meat and potatoes dinner and a show.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:27 PM
spro2395
Racer

Gear reduction. Both in my Firebird with Ceremic coated Tri-Y headers and later Headman while I was planning something else. Then it got wrecked and the engine and trans got put into the Vette. This time with a Chevy starter that was gear reduction also.
Is yours an L98 if so what year starter did you get ?
Old 10-21-2015, 02:41 PM
spro2395
Racer

Was the engine modified?

So far other than the headers the engine is stock. From the same guy I bought the headers from I got a SLP manifold and ported base.

Get notified of new replies

To Starter Help

Old 10-21-2015, 03:16 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I am using the stock 86 starter with Hedman Elite headers and no issues with the starter's size or starting problems. 9 years and counting.
Maybe go back to stock starter
Old 10-21-2015, 03:22 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Is yours an L98 if so what year starter did you get ?
My 91 Firebird had a Tilton54-40001Tilton54-40001. When it got wrecked, I tossed the starter and got a Chevy branded one. I did not use any year LT1. Just a mini starter that fit a Gen 1 SBC Chevy
Old 10-23-2015, 11:36 AM
spro2395
Racer

I installed a 92-96 LT1 mini starter from Advance auto and it bolted up just fine. But the solenoid is back and higher up so all the cables are a couple of inches to short. Does anyone know what the positive battery cable connects to besides the starter solinoid ? Its so tight I can't see, Iwas thinking of buying a longer cable and rerouting it.

Quick Reply: Starter Help