C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 B&M Hammer rachet shifter

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 10:23 AM
heinzeroth
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default C4 B&M Hammer rachet shifter

Anyone have pics or knowledge of putting B&M Hammer shifter in for 700R4 trans. I saw another post that claims it works and is listed on B&M site for 88 Vettes. They claim it uses the top plate on top of console for install and from research the Hammer shifter is shorter in height than Quicksilver shifter.

My question is that my 88 Vette shows a 4th gear overdrive lockup switch on shifter under console. What mod has to be done to get this working on B&M Hammer shifter to control lockup of torque convertor?
Old 07-16-2016, 12:52 PM
heinzeroth
Intermediate

See this post:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1592640908
Old 07-16-2016, 04:24 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Okay...

1. I assume the tc switch is after market? (you can have the computer run the tc)
2. Yes people have put these in their c4's in the past. there are several threads out there from 05-07 IIRC
3. If you are saying you want the button on the shifter to control tc lock up, there is a wire harness you buy that connects the trans to the switch. I think mine was $45 or so.

I may still have it since the guy that built my car made the computer still run everything instead even though I went carb.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:22 PM
heinzeroth
Intermediate

Default Corvette OD Switch on Shifter

Originally Posted by pologreen1
Okay...

1. I assume the tc switch is after market? (you can have the computer run the tc)
2. Yes people have put these in their c4's in the past. there are several threads out there from 05-07 IIRC
3. If you are saying you want the button on the shifter to control tc lock up, there is a wire harness you buy that connects the trans to the switch. I think mine was $45 or so.

I may still have it since the guy that built my car made the computer still run everything instead even though I went carb.
No, the stock shifter switch sends signal to ecm that it has been shifted into OD position, allowing for the ecm to lockup converter.

I suppose you could close the circuit, but then when downshifting the car would be locked up, and if you set TPS parameters different for kickdown it is OK, but for manually shifting down for accelerated braking assistance you may run into problems.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:25 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,946 Posts

I put this in my F-body. You set it to 1 and just bang it forward. 1, 2, D, OD, N, R, P. Not sure what your question is. Didn't find it helpful so I switched back. It worked well for drag racing to bang the gears into place but I let it ride and let the trans control it by modifying the governor, IIRC.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:03 PM
_ski_dwn_it
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by heinzeroth
Anyone have pics or knowledge of putting B&M Hammer shifter in for 700R4 trans. I saw another post that claims it works and is listed on B&M site for 88 Vettes. They claim it uses the top plate on top of console for install and from research the Hammer shifter is shorter in height than Quicksilver shifter.

My question is that my 88 Vette shows a 4th gear overdrive lockup switch on shifter under console. What mod has to be done to get this working on B&M Hammer shifter to control lockup of torque convertor?
Have one and used it for years if your interested. Would sell it for 200

Get notified of new replies

To C4 B&M Hammer rachet shifter

Quick Reply: C4 B&M Hammer rachet shifter