C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

OPTIspark"again" p1371

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 07:19 PM
frank632
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OPTIspark"again" p1371

WELL first of all thanks to all of you that has helped me before maybe i can help one day i have a 1996 lt4 and i replaced the opti spark on 09/03/15 have drove it flawless for 1800 miles took it out yesterday after about 10 minutes warming up, pulled out of the drive to the stop sign and headed to go wash it after a trip from florida
pull out first gear and rolled it into second and it died,would crank but no fire {start} after that 24 hours later it started right back up like nothing happened,
my question is could it be a opti spark again i replaced it with a GM it has been less than 90 days on it and the trouble code is p1371
GM came with a new harness,
Old 11-08-2015, 07:28 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

could be but would check connections on it and the icm and coil and have the icm and coil tested.
The following users liked this post:
frank632 (11-08-2015)
Old 11-08-2015, 09:28 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it sure sounds likely the optical sensor electronics have crapped out.

What brand optispark did you buy?

I have been part of the 'just installed an optispark and it runs great for a few minutes and then dies, and need to tear it all back down again' club. It stinks.

That said, Id rule out the ICM module before going back in there.

Last edited by dizwiz24; 11-09-2015 at 09:22 AM.
frank632 (11-09-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 11:00 AM
frank632
Heel & Toe

I bought a GM OPTI for just this reason, but i,m ruling out the icm as we speak thanks for all your help
Old 11-09-2015, 11:20 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by frank632
I bought a GM OPTI for just this reason, but i,m ruling out the icm as we speak thanks for all your help
make sure you use the proper thermal grease on it.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:30 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
make sure you use the proper thermal grease on it.
I had an issue with a GM 'rest assured' ac delco remanufactured optispark (it had some little paper with it boasting about how well it was rebuilt).

Apparently they do a great job replacing seals/bearings , but do nothing to the opticAl sensor. In fact, i could see they spraypaintd over the optical sensor body to make it look shiny and new (kind of like how i hear they spraypaint bananas and apples in china to make them look more appetizing).

In my case it would run for a few minutes then shutdown (once it got hot) and would not restart.

If you let it cool for 6 hours you could start it again before the same thing.

The only thing that fixed it was i found a new old stock oem optispark And installed that. Thats what i am running.

In my experience, on gen 2 95-96 optisparks, i would only use these 3:

oem optispark
Delphi optispark (check and make sure it has misubishi optical sensor)
Ac delco remanufacted optispark (check and make sure it has mitsubishi optical sensor)

However, note my bad exprience with ac delco remanufactured. The only reason i have it on the list is because everything else was built well on it. Seems like a crapshoot.

What happened to your original equipment optispark?
I noticed you have a 96, those are gen 2 optisparks which dont normally fail (unless vent system bcomes inoperative). The only thingg you need to do to them is eventually replace cap/rotor.
frank632 (11-10-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 01:34 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Hope it's not the opti, too many of these replacements are just junk. My last one lasted 2 years but less than 1k on it. I run it at high rpm's autoxing but I thought these were meant to run hard.
frank632 (11-10-2015)
Old 11-10-2015, 01:38 PM
frank632
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
I had an issue with a GM 'rest assured' ac delco remanufactured optispark (it had some little paper with it boasting about how well it was rebuilt).

Apparently they do a great job replacing seals/bearings , but do nothing to the opticAl sensor. In fact, i could see they spraypaintd over the optical sensor body to make it look shiny and new (kind of like how i hear they spraypaint bananas and apples in china to make them look more appetizing).

In my case it would run for a few minutes then shutdown (once it got hot) and would not restart.

If you let it cool for 6 hours you could start it again before the same thing.

The only thing that fixed it was i found a new old stock oem optispark And installed that. Thats what i am running.

In my experience, on gen 2 95-96 optisparks, i would only use these 3:

oem optispark
Delphi optispark (check and make sure it has misubishi optical sensor)
Ac delco remanufacted optispark (check and make sure it has mitsubishi optical sensor)

However, note my bad exprience with ac delco remanufactured. The only reason i have it on the list is because everything else was built well on it. Seems like a crapshoot.

What happened to your original equipment optispark?
I noticed you have a 96, those are gen 2 optisparks which dont normally fail (unless vent system bcomes inoperative). The only thingg you need to do to them is eventually replace cap/rotor.
WELL DIZWIZ24 , i bought the car used and it had a after market one on it
Old 11-16-2015, 12:20 PM
frank632
Heel & Toe

Hey y'all
Thanks for all the help, I replaced the ICM and the Coil, so far so good, i always like to recreate the problem so i can make sure i fix it but it has started every time since that happen,so i replaced the the parts, they were GM, so i,m assuming they were OEM ........ i,m still wondering about p1371 code that popped up.

Last edited by frank632; 11-16-2015 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:33 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by frank632
Hey y'all
Thanks for all the help, I replaced the ICM and the Coil, so far so good, i always like to recreate the problem so i can make sure i fix it but it has started every time since that happen,so i replaced the the parts, they were GM, so i,m assuming they were OEM ........ i,m still wondering about p1371 code that popped up.
take your old icm and coil in to a parts store and have them tested.
frank632 (11-17-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To OPTIspark"again" p1371

Quick Reply: OPTIspark"again" p1371