C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Flasher / turn signal

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 05:58 AM
Frank-in-San-Diego
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Flasher / turn signal

Flasher turn signal

I have a 1987, basically stock. The turn signals seem burdened. Sometimes they work, but often I just get a solid light. Both the right and the left are the same. All bulbs light. It seems to be really bad in the cold, but as the car warms up the flasher seems to work. The frequency is slow and sometimes it flashes for a while and goes solid. Sometimes it is solid and starts to flash too. Sometimes I get nothing and then it lights and flashes. It seems to work, but very poorly. I guess I am thinking if it was the flasher, it would just die and not fight, but what else could it be?

I am thinking flasher can. Where is the flasher can and any other ideas? (like electronic upgrade or heavy duty ?) Any other ideas???
Old 11-10-2015, 06:07 AM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

I switched to an electronic flasher on mine and works great. The old flash was working fine though.

I have had flashers go out on cars and also start going out with the symptoms your describing. I got my electronic flasher from corvettemods I think but all the major vendors on here carry them. I would recommend the electronic one since they are designed to work with led lights in case you want to switch out some of your turn signal bulbs later to led you will already have the conversion done.

The flasher is under the dash in the passenger side foot well area close to the center of the car. Pretty far up in there so not easy to get to.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:04 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank-in-San-Diego
Flasher turn signal

I have a 1987, basically stock. The turn signals seem burdened. Sometimes they work, but often I just get a solid light. Both the right and the left are the same. All bulbs light. It seems to be really bad in the cold, but as the car warms up the flasher seems to work. The frequency is slow and sometimes it flashes for a while and goes solid. Sometimes it is solid and starts to flash too. Sometimes I get nothing and then it lights and flashes. It seems to work, but very poorly. I guess I am thinking if it was the flasher, it would just die and not fight, but what else could it be?

I am thinking flasher can. Where is the flasher can and any other ideas? (like electronic upgrade or heavy duty ?) Any other ideas???
do 4 ways work?
Old 11-11-2015, 11:09 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
do 4 ways work?
on my 85, hazards did work. right rear turn signal did not.

we replaced the flasher relay, which was behind the bread box, and its fixed. for some reason, the flasher relay was much louder click click...click click....click click...than the oem was.

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 11-11-2015 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:33 PM
Frank-in-San-Diego
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I have found

I did find the flasher to the left of the ECM. It was not visible from the bottom. The dash pad does come out, 5 screws on the lower lip, 3 above the instrument cluster and 2 more above the center vents plus the 2 on the defroster vent, you pull up and out and the dash is removed. The flasher was easy to see from the top, but the wires are not long enough to pull it out from the top. I could force it down through the bottom.

Really strange to put a replaceable part in a place this inaccessible
Attached Images      
Old 11-29-2015, 10:57 PM
jose7740
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I had my interior disassembled to do the repair on the lcd cluster and working on the radio, dash was off and saw the two flashers and decided to install electronic ones even the original flashers were working. A little bit of preventive medicine.

Get notified of new replies

To Flasher / turn signal

Quick Reply: Flasher / turn signal