C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Trying to Find rims for 1984 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 07:17 PM
Brxndon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to Find rims for 1984 Corvette

Hey guys so recently I've been looking for help on finding rims for my 1984 corvette.I know that the rims and tires for that year were specially made but I really want to change the rims on the car. I heard something about an adapter but I don't have a lot of knowledge on that. I'm 17 years old and so I'm still learning. Please help thanks guys.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:30 PM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 150 Posts

84-87 can use the same rims. Go to a 17" rim, selection for them & tires is greater.
The adaptors allow you to run the rims off of 88 up vettes.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:44 PM
Brxndon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ex-x-fire
84-87 can use the same rims. Go to a 17" rim, selection for them & tires is greater.
The adaptors allow you to run the rims off of 88 up vettes.
Do I get the adapters with a 1 inch thickness?
Old 11-12-2015, 07:59 PM
pezter22
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

For my '84 I bought some spacers on ebay. I purchased 1.25" thick spacers.

You can find them at the usual Corvette sellers like Ecklers. They're about $200, but you can find them cheaper on ebay. Just search for 1984 Corvette wheel spacer.

Don't buy adapters, but spacers.

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1984-1988.html

Last edited by pezter22; 11-12-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:20 PM
LongBeachC4
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Probably the best looking rims on a C4 are the ZR-1 rims. Go look at AFS. They have the correct off set for your your car in 17" rims. I run the stagger set and also have a pair of 9.5". The fit is perfect, even with the 11's on the rear. Best of all, no spacers.
http://shop.afswheels.com/ZR1-Wheels_c15.htm

Last edited by LongBeachC4; 11-12-2015 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:07 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Brxndon
Do I get the adapters with a 1 inch thickness?
The thickness of the spacer/adapter will depend greatly on your choice of wheels. Are you wanting used or considering purchasing after-market?

Don't buy anything adapter/spacer until you've made a wheel decision.

There's some very good information here on "all OE C4" wheel/tire configurations.

http://www.joby.se/corvette/div/corvette_wheels/

Familiarize yourself with "how to measure wheel offset and back-spacing and you can maybe do your own adapter/spacer calculations BUT learn the math, don't rely on calculators only. You want spacers that are configured as adapters when you make a buy.

For quick comparisons the CF has reliable wheel calculator. You could ignore the tire information and just concern yourself with wheel width/offset comparisons.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...calculator.php

Can't emphasize enough though - learn the math

I'd maybe shop 9" if I were looking for new as well as 9 1/2 that you'll see most frequently when shopping C4 replicas.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 11-13-2015 at 07:14 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:10 AM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 150 Posts

Just to make it clear, you need longer wheel studs when you use spacers. I'd get direct bolt on wheels, less stuff to go wrong.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:16 PM
project C4
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Default spacers vs adapters

spacers will need longer studs. wheel adapters do not need longer studs.
with a wheel spacer I wouldn't go more that 1/2" and it will require longer studs to be installed.
wheel adapters can be as thick as 3 inches and do not require longer studs
Old 11-13-2015, 08:25 PM
project C4
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

any of the 88-96 , 17x9.5" wheels with a 1" adapter "not spacer" is a good combo for that car.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:44 PM
MrRenoman
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

My personal preference is the 1990 wheel. The 1990 ZR1s are pricey but a stock set look beautiful polished. It does require adapters but they are reasonable. There are a lot of opinions about running adapters but I've run them on a couple of my cars with no problem.

I'll try to post a pic.

Art

Last edited by MrRenoman; 11-13-2015 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:55 PM
softwarejanitor
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey guys so recently I've been looking for help on finding rims for my 1984 corvette.I know that the rims and tires for that year were specially made but I really want to change the rims on the car. I heard something about an adapter but I don't have a lot of knowledge on that. I'm 17 years old and so I'm still learning. Please help thanks guys.
I had a set of C5 Z06 wheels on the 1984 I used to have. They are 17x9.5 54mm offset in front and 18x10.5 58mm offset in back. Your mileage may vary but they worked well for me. One thing to keep in mind is that the rear wheels will put you up out of stock into a modified class in NCCC sanctioned autocross because they are more than 1" larger than stock. If you don't plan to autocross that is a non-issue.

In my opinion the ZR1 style and the Z06 style are amongst the nicest looking wheels that will fit on a 1984 without spacers or adapters.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:14 PM
Bugly87
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

Check out the wheels and tires I just posted. They are from my 1987 Vette.

Kevin
Old 11-17-2015, 02:55 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Brxndon, I think its awesome you got an 84. They are sooooo cheap right now. Personally, I think updating the wheels on the c4's bring them into the 21century and they look bada$$. I get tonnnnnes of people asking about my vette now with the newer rims on them.

you need "adapters". These are in effect, "spacers" that bolt onto your existing studs, and simply have their own studs for you to then bolt your wheel onto. It works just fine. I followed corvettedan22 's thread on installing c6 rims on my 87 (your 84 and my 87 have the same wheel offset, +40mm, so if you like the way the car looks, you could just follow my thread, which was a very slightly modified version of corvettedan22's thread.).

you get these adapters very affordably, especially if you live in the usa and you qualify for many free shipping deals in the lower 48. I paid $100 for all 4 adapters on ebay. very cheap, and now i run c6 rims on my 87 and it looks incredible. The c6 rims i got on kijiji, which is our version of craigslist and ebay up here in canada. paid next to nothing for them.

If you don't like the c6 rims, you could get a set of the c5 "wagon wheels" for next to nothing. Personally I think they look pretty good.

Course, you may want to put another style of rim on the car. And to do that you will need to compare your stock wheels "offset" with the "offset" of the new rim. This will tell you the right size (thickness) of adapter to buy. Here is an easy place to input your offset, and then the new offset of the new wheel you are considering, and you can see how it will change the look (tuck the wheel into the car, which looks bad...or...push the wheel out of the car, which looks good, to a point)
This link below will show you what your 84 "offset" is, and also what other corvette wheel offsets are for comparison. And at the top, you can put in the current and new offsets of other rims you are considering. the difference is what you will to make up with a set of adapters of the right thickness. you will need to do some basic math on that. be sure to check out my thread below it has some links to adapters on ebay i used.

http://www.corvettecentral.com/wheel-offset/

Good luck you ! When I was 17 I wish i had bought a vette!! I waited until I was 37 last year.

Be safe, do your maintainence, the cars are old and simple things like brake bleeding, coolant flushes, and oil changes need to be done. Don't want to get broken down on the side of the road with a girl in the passenger seat.

Oh, and one other thing you might want if you have not already upgraded to an bluetooth stereo, if you want to stick with the stock look, you can get a cable to plug your phone into the stereo to play mp3's through your stereo. I've done that and its awesome. They are available from ebay. I beleive that the guy who sells them is actually a member on the forum. This will get you setup with good tunes, nice wheels, and all you need is gas and the girl.

Also, one last comment, when you install these wheels, even without adapters, because our wheels are lugcentric, meaning, they are centered around the hub bore by the conical shape of the lugs, you shouldn't lower the car to the ground while you torque them up. To make sure that you get a perfect balance on the tire, so you can drive fast with no wobble created from a slightly (and by slightly, i mean slightly) off centered wheel, have your friend put the brakes on the car with teh wheels in the air and then tighten the lugnutz to torque spec (i use 100 lbsft) (use a torque wrench) and going opposite each other each lugnut, like not in a circle pattern but a star pattern. once the wheel is torqued, you can lower the weight of the car onto that wheel.

i would plan to take the rims you get into a balance place and have them do a really good job balancing the tire.

between getting the wheels balanced before putting them on the car, and then doing the right torque spec procedure, you should have no wheel shimmy. if you do, its probably some other issue in which case, post here and we can help. don't forget after a hundred or so miles, come back and check the lugnuts to ensure they are all tight still.

anyway, probably way more info that you cared to get but there yah go!

Cheers! Post pics of the car!

VikingTrad3r

have a look at my thread, is shows you with pics what you need to do.
here is my thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ck-87-z52.html

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 11-17-2015 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:52 AM
C4-85RedZ51
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by LongBeachC4
Probably the best looking rims on a C4 are the ZR-1 rims. Go look at AFS. They have the correct off set for your your car in 17" rims. I run the stagger set and also have a pair of 9.5". The fit is perfect, even with the 11's on the rear. Best of all, no spacers.
http://shop.afswheels.com/ZR1-Wheels_c15.htm
Thanks for the link! Looking into these http://shop.afswheels.com/AFS-fits-8...-1-Set-S8B.htm for my 85 Z51. Need tires, so thought about getting new rims as well. Anyone have any thoughts on the tires they match these up with? http://shop.afswheels.com/17-Vredest...-Tires-V17.htm
Old 12-01-2015, 12:57 AM
MrRenoman
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

This used to be my car before I bought a C5. I installed polished 1990 Corvette wheels with adapters at least 10-12 years ago and they still look good. Interesting, that it's been passed on twice after I sold it and still looks good. It's the best I can do for pics now. Now it's for sale again. I painted it in my garage and made the tail lights flush. I did every mod on it a long time ago. Too bad he doesn't show the engine. I kind of miss it.

https://reno.craigslist.org/cto/5337339099.html

Art

Last edited by MrRenoman; 12-01-2015 at 01:01 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Trying to Find rims for 1984 Corvette

Quick Reply: Trying to Find rims for 1984 Corvette