C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Service engine soon...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 03:28 PM
Hive
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Service engine soon...

Hi,

I've been having issues with my vette... mainly a rattle from the transmission, i've done a pan drop and filter/fluid change and it's still there. (95% fcertain this is not a cat shield, heat shield or anything)

It's a 1993 LT1 w/ 700R4 4spd auto

I'm not sure how well the fluid level of the tranny is, but i added 5 quarts to fill and drove it after throwing a new filter, pan gasket on. I drove it for about 5 miles and then let it idle in park for 3 minutes, checked level and it was maybe 1/4 inch over the hot level. This GM dipstick has a mind of it's own for measuring the level,,,

Now when i drive over approx 70KM/h (about 40mph) the service engine light will come on after a few minutes. This happened at night and when it did the lights and dash display dimmed for a very brief few seconds, the lights stopped dimming and the service engine light came on. Since there is a rattle, is it a good bet there is something up with this transmission? Once you slow down to 30-35 the light goes away...

I cant pull codes reliably i believe, can only get it to code while driving over 40mph, i believe this would put it in 4th gear..

any ideas? i'm calling around for a mechanic but would rather go into it knowing possibilities from other vette owners

Last edited by Hive; 11-15-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:02 PM
LCPLPunk
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you tried the paperclip method to retrieve the codes?

http://www.neilkline.com/Tech%20Tips/obdcodes.htm
Old 11-16-2015, 12:06 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Hive
I cant pull codes reliably i believe, can only get it to code while driving over 40mph, i believe this would put it in 4th gear.
The transmission will only be in 4th gear if you have the shifter in the OD position.

Get notified of new replies

To Service engine soon...

Quick Reply: Service engine soon...