C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1986 l98 heads

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 05:48 PM
jacksdaddy
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 l98 heads

Hey,
Have not been on forum since i did 6 speed conversion in 2008.
Have alluminum heads,they need remachining,slight warp and loose
Spark plug.I plan on useing the heads,but want to fit roller rockers.
Would like recommendations for. Roller rockers
Lifters,springs
Fuel injectors,plugs and leads
Head gaskets etc.
Thanks.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:14 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 805 Likes on 553 Posts

I will chime in with the roller rocker question. Theere are 2 types of rollers, non aligned and self aligned. The self aligned rocker arms have 2 ridges on the tips to keep them aligned over the pushrod. You do not need guide plates for those. The non aligned have no ridges, that makes them want to wander around so you need GUIDE PLATES to keep the pushrods in place. If you use non aligned, you will need hardened studs and guideplates to go along with the hardened ( heat treated) pushrods. Your '86 flat tappet aluminum heads( that's what I have) should have guideplates in them. Most of the GM guideplates are not hardened and are only used for production ease, HOWEVER ( here is where the computer will blow up with people saying nay) if your guideplates have the letter P and the number 05 on one side, and the other side says DOWN you have the same hardened guideplates that GMParts Direct sells. This was the hardest part of my changeover since I kept having issues with spacing aftermarket hardened guideplates not fitting properly. I then came across a thread that led me to research this more. They are hardened, try running a file across them. One more note, guideplates should not be used with self aligning rockers. If you need more info on these plates PM me.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:41 PM
jacksdaddy
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for reply,appreciate it.

Get notified of new replies

To 1986 l98 heads

Quick Reply: 1986 l98 heads