C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

video: sound from under the car when i put in fwd or rev.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 03:41 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Default video: sound from under the car when i put in fwd or rev.

1985. makes the sound when i put it in fwd or reverse

its like a tin rattle. loose bellhousing?

i will get under car later tonight but wondered if anybody has heard this.

i get a creaking sound when i go over large "swells". not jarring bumps but when the whole car flexes over a compression or something i hear a noise. i am guessing this is connected to it. just started. probably something loose and now, combined with being cold outside now, its even rattling.

its wet cause i just washed it getting rdy for car cover storage.

cheers all. VT

Old 11-23-2015, 04:14 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r

i get a creaking sound when i go over large "swells". not jarring bumps but when the whole car flexes over a compression or something i hear a noise. i am guessing this is connected to it. just started. probably something loose and now, combined with being cold outside now, its even rattling.

cheers all. VT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIXRIJB67cg

I truly hope I am wrong for your sake but i think your front pump of your trans. may be on it's way out, I would recommend looking for nasty Trans. Fluid and filings in the Trans. pan

Last edited by s carter; 11-23-2015 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:57 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by s carter
I truly hope I am wrong for your sake but i think your front pump of your trans. may be on it's way out, I would recommend looking for nasty Trans. Fluid and filings in the Trans. pan

pulled the stick, nothing abnormal with tranny fluid, nor with shifting behavior of tranny.

If said pumps craps out, does it happen gradually or does it happen like bang its dead no warning.

i will pull the trans pn if i find no other loose rattling bolts.

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 11-23-2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:42 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

pulled the stick, nothing abnormal with tranny fluid, nor with shifting behavior of tranny.

If said pumps craps out, does it happen gradually or does it happen like bang its dead no warning.

i will pull the trans pn if i find no other loose rattling bolts.

the problem is when the pumps go they normally self destruct and throw junk though out, But one other thing a bit obscure but some 84s and 85s the Exhaust Y Pipes the Inner walls would separate from outer wall and make a rattle more pronounced when in gear. and what's great it's easy to find and easy to fix.

Get the car up high enough to get at Exhaust do like you did in the video get it to make the noise. take a large set of Channel Locks and give a little squeeze in different places if the noise goes away you found the spot. than take ball peen hammer and put a little dimple at that spot to close the gap, or I have heard of people putting a Machine screw in the spot.

Check all heat shields give the Converter cover a good look, rule out all you can.
But in the end I'm hearing rotating part noise Either something in or near the converter/Pump or something within Trans.

Last edited by s carter; 11-23-2015 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:32 PM
MrRenoman
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

I just posted about a rattling '85 motor this past week. Found out it was the exhaust manifold bolts that were loose. Drove me crazy trying to find it. It wasn't until I pulled the valve covers off that I noticed the rear two bolts holding the exhaust manifold to the head were backed out a little. It would rattle when revving up and down in idle. I'm sure it did it while driving too.

Art

Last edited by MrRenoman; 11-23-2015 at 11:33 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:01 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

The pump works as long as the engine is turning. It doesn't matter what gear the trans is in. I doubt the pump is your problem.

I suggest getting the car up in the air and giving it a close listen.

It wouldn't hurt to pull the pan and change the ATF and filter. You might find something interesting when the pan is off.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:58 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

excellent advice from all 3 of you! Cliff thanks for clarifying that. kinda puts my gut at ease. I have done so much to this car, rear ext housing gasket/oring, tranny pan gasket and 3 (!!!!!) permacoil tranny bolt repairs, governor cover, and servo cover...that is only the tranny...it would be a pity to have to drop it....getting so close to being "done".

thanks guys. will report back in a few days with findings from under carriage.

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 11-24-2015 at 02:59 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:17 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

cheers all. VT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIXRIJB67cg

The creaking noise your referring to is it a popping creek kind of like opening a rusted shut door, and you can make it happen by bouncing the car up and down.

If so most likely it's your sway bar bushings at Frame mounting points are dry, some people may prefer to pull out the bushings Lube them up with a Silicone grease or spray which I guess is OK as long as they are not to worn, but for about $20.00 And up you can replace them while you have them out in hand.

Last edited by s carter; 11-24-2015 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:31 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default unfortunatly, this noise has now started while in park and neutral

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
The pump works as long as the engine is turning. It doesn't matter what gear the trans is in. I doubt the pump is your problem.

I suggest getting the car up in the air and giving it a close listen.

It wouldn't hurt to pull the pan and change the ATF and filter. You might find something interesting when the pan is off.

it sure sounds like an exhaust leak but my plan is to get under the car with my stethoscope and dial it in. i will remove the tin inpsection cover.

i have researched it and i am guessing that it is either a bad exhaust leak, toasted torque converter, cracked flywheel, loose flywheel bolts, loose crankshaft bolts, or....something in the tranny like the pump.

the only positive is that only started happening after the temperature really dipped down. like well below freezing. exhaust???? we shall see.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:59 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Ive heard a cracked flexplate cause a noise similar to that.

Bolt falling out of the flexplate to torque converter and sitting in the cover and hitting can do that too.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:03 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Just remember another noise I fixed a year ago on a truck of mine that did that exact noise. But it cant be the problem your having but it will give an idea how flexing that occurs going from drive to reverse can effect things. A dodge truck I had used a pickup sensor that went into the bell housing.

If I remember right neutral knocked sometimes. Drive was silent and reverse buzzed like the noise your having.

The point is it can easily be something loose or out of alignment (flex plate cracked or loose) that's causing that.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:19 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

well. its either the torque convertor, or the flex plate.

how do i determine which? i am torqueing bolts from flex plate to tc now.

for a while know, i have been driving down teh road and i go over like a "swale" in the road, and i hear something flexing or moving beneath me as i went over the bumps. i wonder if this is what it was. i assumed it was cbeam creak.

there is no play between the tc and the flexplate/flywheel. those are the same right?

i'll google how to determine between them but if you guys have experience here please any advice would be great.

edit: one thing i will say is that i disabled the tcc solenoid in this tranny because the tc was locking up too early in this car. too low of rpms. so i disabled it knowing full well it would reduce the mileage a bit. not sure if that would affect anything.

VT.

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 11-25-2015 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:30 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Bypassing the lockup wouldn't hurt it any.

To test if its the flex plate pry between the motor and the flex plate. If there is any movement there its cracked.

Prying the other direction might work too but the motor side usually seems to work best finding it.

Don't pry between the converter and the flex plate. Nothing there will give between them.

Also check the ring that has the teeth in it that runs around the outside of the flex plate aka the teeth the starter engages in. Ive seen welds break on that part and cause noises too but not as often as the plate itself breaking in a circle around where the bolts go thru to the crankshaft holding the flex plate to the motor.

One of the best methods Ive found to find the problem really requires a lift to safely check it. Raising it on a lift and watching the flex plate edge while someone puts it in drive and then reverse usually finds the issue instantly. Again a lift is ideal for this. Yes you can do it other ways but the only really safe method is a lift.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:39 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

thanks Crowz. I assume you mean pry while the tc and the flexplate are still bolted together? i will do that and report back.

Originally Posted by crowz
Bypassing the lockup wouldn't hurt it any.

To test if its the flex plate pry between the motor and the flex plate. If there is any movement there its cracked.

Prying the other direction might work too but the motor side usually seems to work best finding it.

Don't pry between the converter and the flex plate. Nothing there will give between them.

Also check the ring that has the teeth in it that runs around the outside of the flex plate aka the teeth the starter engages in. Ive seen welds break on that part and cause noises too but not as often as the plate itself breaking in a circle around where the bolts go thru to the crankshaft holding the flex plate to the motor.

One of the best methods Ive found to find the problem really requires a lift to safely check it. Raising it on a lift and watching the flex plate edge while someone puts it in drive and then reverse usually finds the issue instantly. Again a lift is ideal for this. Yes you can do it other ways but the only really safe method is a lift.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:45 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

thanks Crowz. I assume you mean pry while the tc and the flexplate are still bolted together? i will do that and report back.
i friggin hope this aint the issue.

this poor guy thought it was his flex plate and it ended up being a spun bearing!!

http://youtu.be/zCtuXx1pVxM
Old 11-25-2015, 10:45 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Yep while bolted together. Unbolted works even better but I'm not sure how much clearance you can get but its really easy to move it if you can get the converter to slide back into the trans. But that's iffy if it will cooperate. Some slide back nicely when unbolted from the flexplate. Some don't.

That's why I usually just try with the converter attached.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:48 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

i friggin hope this aint the issue.

this poor guy thought it was his flex plate and it ended up being a spun bearing!!

http://youtu.be/zCtuXx1pVxM
Actually reading that guys stuff wasn't it just the bolts loose holding the flex plate on in that link you posted?

Get notified of new replies

To video: sound from under the car when i put in fwd or rev.

Old 11-26-2015, 01:13 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Actually reading that guys stuff wasn't it just the bolts loose holding the flex plate on in that link you posted?

just checked flex plate/ flywheel for any flex and none. 3 bolts are tight.

i noticed this weight on the tc. possible a weight came off?

spun bearing just seems so unlikely with 45 psi at idle and 159-162 compression on all cyl.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:21 AM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Your sound seems more like a card in a bicycle wheel than a knock of any kind. Try shooting some more vids for us from different areas. It may give us more clues.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:41 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Your sound seems more like a card in a bicycle wheel than a knock of any kind. Try shooting some more vids for us from different areas. It may give us more clues.

yah you are right it doesnt have a "knock" sound. i'll take more vids and film it from underneath while starting it from a few different angles.

read up on a few other threads.......
i am not convinced that i will be able to tell if the flexplate is broken until i seperate the 3 bolts and push the tc back into the trans and see if it is broken. if its not broken, i can start car and see if it goes away....if yes then i'll get a new flex plate and tc and drop the trans to replace.

Also, i will check bolts on the belhousing.

Quick Reply: video: sound from under the car when i put in fwd or rev.