C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Stereo unit always on/power to speakers

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 03:43 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Default Stereo unit always on/power to speakers

I have been working with a junkyard Declo head unit that was AM/FM only with a cassette delete. After some research, I was able to integrate an mp3 jack into the head unit, so all speakers play sound once the mp3 is plugged into the jack. The driver side has a high amount of noise which I'm guessing is a shielding issue. Even with the mp3 not plugged in, there is noticeable static from all speakers.

A problem I am experiencing now is power consistently routed to the speakers, even with the ignition off. Just plugging in the amp relay kicks in the speakers and I get the static. So to turn the speakers "off", I have to unplug the relay. I know it's something I've wired in wrong but after staring at the wiring diagrams, I'm not seeing it.

1) Power always on to radio and speakers. Even swapping relays, there is still power that keeps speakers on with static

2) Best way to add shielding to eliminate as much of the static as possible? Driver side speakers has lots of noise....sounds like the cliche 1950s radio being tuned into a radio station.

3) Speakers are popping/pulsing when the "tuning" **** is rotated left or right with the stereo "off" but when I have the stereo "on", they do not. What is going on?

As a disclaimer, there hasn't been a radio, speakers, or wires in this car for over a decade, so I've basically blown the dust off parts I've had and am trying to put it all back in, so I know 100% of this is most likely user error on wiring it all back in.

But hoping someone can help....
Old 11-23-2015, 06:26 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
I have been working with a junkyard Declo head unit that was AM/FM only with a cassette delete. After some research, I was able to integrate an mp3 jack into the head unit, so all speakers play sound once the mp3 is plugged into the jack. The driver side has a high amount of noise which I'm guessing is a shielding issue. Even with the mp3 not plugged in, there is noticeable static from all speakers.

A problem I am experiencing now is power consistently routed to the speakers, even with the ignition off. Just plugging in the amp relay kicks in the speakers and I get the static. So to turn the speakers "off", I have to unplug the relay. I know it's something I've wired in wrong but after staring at the wiring diagrams, I'm not seeing it.

1) Power always on to radio and speakers. Even swapping relays, there is still power that keeps speakers on with static

2) Best way to add shielding to eliminate as much of the static as possible? Driver side speakers has lots of noise....sounds like the cliche 1950s radio being tuned into a radio station.

3) Speakers are popping/pulsing when the "tuning" **** is rotated left or right with the stereo "off" but when I have the stereo "on", they do not. What is going on?

As a disclaimer, there hasn't been a radio, speakers, or wires in this car for over a decade, so I've basically blown the dust off parts I've had and am trying to put it all back in, so I know 100% of this is most likely user error on wiring it all back in.

But hoping someone can help....
you most likely have a non bose radio. Why are you wiring speakers to an amp relay?If you have a non bose radio, you need non bose speakers

Last edited by Cruisinfanatic; 11-23-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:29 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
you most likely have a non bose radio. Why are you wiring speakers to an amp relay?If you have a non bose radio, you need non bose speakers
Speakers aren't directly wired into amp relay, the relay is wired in as it is in the FSM. The head unit not being a bose is possible culprit as it only has Delco on the face plate. Looks like you may be right, as the back of the Delco Bose has one extra pink wire straying out which goes to the amp relay.

Edit: Yep, it's a non bose. Hmmmm.....guess this won't work will it? No big loss. I'll just have to pick up an actual Delco Bose unit and give it another go.

Last edited by 1985 Corvette; 11-23-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:10 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
Speakers aren't directly wired into amp relay, the relay is wired in as it is in the FSM. The head unit not being a bose is possible culprit as it only has Delco on the face plate. Looks like you may be right, as the back of the Delco Bose has one extra pink wire straying out which goes to the amp relay.

Edit: Yep, it's a non bose. Hmmmm.....guess this won't work will it? No big loss. I'll just have to pick up an actual Delco Bose unit and give it another go.
Right you are.

Get notified of new replies

To Stereo unit always on/power to speakers

Quick Reply: Stereo unit always on/power to speakers