C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

finding top dead center on cyl 1 while spark plugs are out

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 02:40 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by TimV SR
Can someone tell me if the pointer on my '85 L98 is adjustable?

I was having trouble timing it a couple of years ago and found that the zero mark was off by about an inch. I poked a nylon wire tie into the #1 spark plug hole to determine TDC.
Sometimes u can use bendology to make it right. Also sometimes u can loosen the timing cover and fudge the cover over a little in the right direction but maybe not if gaskets are sealing up the cover.

Sorry bub, the nylon wire tie aint gonna get u within 1 degree accuracy that most owner would like to have and tune with. Using a piston stop and enough dampner marks or even a degree wheel will get u there.

Yea, the thumb over the plug hole is used by plenty of aircraft mechanics but they have all the plugs removed and can swing a big prop for a lever arm to verify their results as many times as required. U aint gonna turn over an auto V8 enough by hand to use that.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:30 AM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mtwoolford
how can you trust anything a Ford guy says? just to avoid confusion, yes, that's #1 cylinder on a Ford, but its #2 piston on a Chevy.
You missed the whole point, here. #1 could be back at the rear differential for all I care.. the point here is you need to stop the #1 Piston before it can make it's full travel, in order to Validate the Harmonic Ballencer timing Marks..
Old 11-30-2015, 12:15 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
Sorry, but the timing chain has nothing to do with TDC checks. You could have the camshaft removed from the engine, and still confirm your TDC marks on your harmonic damper.

my bad. sorry
Old 11-30-2015, 12:18 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by desertmike1
You missed the whole point, here. #1 could be back at the rear differential for all I care.. the point here is you need to stop the #1 Piston before it can make it's full travel, in order to Validate the Harmonic Ballencer timing Marks..
Just don't get confused with number one / number two cylinders was my ONLY point

Quick Reply: finding top dead center on cyl 1 while spark plugs are out