C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

finding top dead center on cyl 1 while spark plugs are out

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 07:17 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Default finding top dead center on cyl 1 while spark plugs are out

hi all. did a compression test today as part of lengthy diagnosis of a crap idle.

anway, i have my plugs out for the next few hours.

i would like to find true top dead center centre tdc for my number 1 cylinder.

should i just crank engine till i feel compression on my finger which is plugging the hole, then stick a soft tipped item in the hole (thinking wood dowel i have here) and as soon as it starts to go back in, i've just passed tdc?

i'd like to verify that my timing mark for #1 cylinder is in the correct position!

cheers. VT.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:37 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

May help (?):

Old 11-23-2015, 07:40 PM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 150 Posts

You could loosen the rockers on #4 & add compressed air to that cylinder. It'll go to bottom dead center there by putting #1 at TDC.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:25 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

That Summit procedure may find #1 TDC, but don't presume that's the #1 cylinder firing position! That procedure is just as likely to put you at the top of the exhaust stroke, rather than the top of the compression stroke! If so, you'll be 180 degrees out, and the engine won't start!

Old 11-23-2015, 09:37 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

That is true, but not important if all you're trying to do is confirm or calibrate your TDC mark...you can get to TDC compression anytime later.

The Summit method works, but your can also do it the "poor mans way" by taking a coat hangar (or equivalent) bend into a sharp "J" so the "J" end fits through the plug hole. Slip through the hole, then "hook" it up under/inside the combustion chamber. Hold or secure it there, then rotate, mark, rotate backward, mark, measure and mark just like in the vid. Cheap, quick, easy.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:24 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
That is true, but not important if all you're trying to do is confirm or calibrate your TDC mark...you can get to TDC compression anytime later.

The Summit method works, but your can also do it the "poor mans way" by taking a coat hangar (or equivalent) bend into a sharp "J" so the "J" end fits through the plug hole. Slip through the hole, then "hook" it up under/inside the combustion chamber. Hold or secure it there, then rotate, mark, rotate backward, mark, measure and mark just like in the vid. Cheap, quick, easy.
i like this. thanks.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:57 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

That is true, but not important if all you're trying to do is . . . calibrate your TDC mark.
If you're trying to calibrate your harmonic damper for an accurate TDC, you'd better be extremely accurate with your technique! In the video, the guy uses a felt tip marker, then centers his pointer by eye to the APPROXIMATE center of the fat ink marks. I doubt his procedure would be even as good as +/- 2 degrees of true TDC. Setting your timing to +/- 2 degrees isn't very good!

Hopefully, all he was trying to do was to demonstrate that the timing marks on his damper hadn't shifted due to a damaged damper! (He didn't say that.) The marks on the harmonic damper should be much more accurate than his technique, unless its rubber bond is broken. His big bucks engine had an expensive Fluidampr, so he certainly didn't need to do this for his engine! I think that to promote his procedure as a good way to identify the accurate TDC is just sloppy!

Old 11-24-2015, 02:52 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

i have been told to just adjust timing by 1 degree and go up to 14 advanced base timing and just choose what works best.l and if before 14 you ping back off.

is this outer space or is this valid?
Old 11-24-2015, 04:35 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You can confirm TDC compression by watching the #1 rockers. Both will be down and not moving.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:48 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
In the video, the guy uses a felt tip marker, then centers his pointer by eye to the APPROXIMATE center of the fat ink marks. I doubt his procedure would be even as good as +/- 2 degrees of true TDC. Setting your timing to +/- 2 degrees isn't very good!

Hopefully, all he was trying to do was to demonstrate that the timing marks on his damper hadn't shifted due to a damaged damper! (He didn't say that.) The marks on the harmonic damper should be much more accurate than his technique, unless its rubber bond is broken. His big bucks engine had an expensive Fluidampr, so he certainly didn't need to do this for his engine! I think that to promote his procedure as a good way to identify the accurate TDC is just sloppy!
I'd guess that he was showing how it's done....and doing it quick/dirty in the interest of keeping the video short.

You're right that greater care in accuracy, marking and measuring is called for, than that demonstrated in the video.

EDIT: I just watched the vid again, and you're right; even the dialogue was vague. He didn't specifically say to measure between the two. And the sharpie was hokie.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 11-24-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:20 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

i do not understand why u cant just hold your finger over the #1 spark plug hole till you feel compression, this confirms upstroke no? then once u know you are on the way upstroke, take a piece of wood dowel and put it in the spark plug hole and when the dowel is at maximum "height" that is too dead center.

i get that im wrong but what am i missing?

I'd guess that he was showing how it's done....and doing it quick/dirty in the interest of keeping the video short.

You're right that greater care in accuracy, marking and measuring is called for, than that demonstrated in the video.

EDIT: I just watched the vid again, and you're right; even the dialogue was vague. He didn't specifically say to measure between the two. And the sharpie was hokie.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:45 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
i do not understand why u cant just hold your finger over the #1 spark plug hole till you feel compression, this confirms upstroke no? then once u know you are on the way upstroke, take a piece of wood dowel and put it in the spark plug hole and when the dowel is at maximum "height" that is too dead center.

i get that im wrong but what am i missing?
For timing, you're right, hold a finger over the hole, turn it until you get pressure, then you know your on compression stroke. You can use a device (like a wooden dowel) to approximate TDC, but there are several degrees of crank rotation across TDC where the piston doesn't move a meaningful amount -you won't be able to determin precise TDC that way.

If all you're doing is timing the motor, find compression like you said, bring it up top, then use your timing marks to TDC it.

If you're trying to confirm that the timing marks are accurate or create accurate TDC timing marks, you'll need to use a technique such as the one in the Summit vid (albeit, with more precision).
Old 11-24-2015, 12:54 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

i would like to find true top dead center centre tdc for my number 1 cylinder.

should i just crank engine till i feel compression on my finger which is plugging the hole, then stick a soft tipped item in the hole (thinking wood dowel i have here) and as soon as it starts to go back in, i've just passed tdc?

i'd like to verify that my timing mark for #1 cylinder is in the correct position!

cheers. VT.
that's valid; just make sure that when you verify TDC you're turning the engine in it's normal rotation; if you verify it turning it in the opposite direction, the inevitable slop in the timing chain (could be a little, could be a lot) will throw you off.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:32 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

The only true means in order to verify the Harmonic Balancer TDC/Timing mark's, is to; use a "Piston stop" There are plenty od VID's on this subject, I just found one that's not too bad..

Old 11-24-2015, 10:48 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by desertmike1
The only true means in order to verify the Harmonic Balancer TDC/Timing mark's, is to; use a "Piston stop" There are plenty od VID's on this subject, I just found one that's not too bad..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD0ZRc7Dy28
how can you trust anything a Ford guy says? just to avoid confusion, yes, that's #1 cylinder on a Ford, but its #2 piston on a Chevy.

Last edited by mtwoolford; 11-24-2015 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:12 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

I would like to find true top dead center centre tdc for my number 1 cylinder.

I'd like to verify that my timing mark for #1 cylinder is in the correct position!
The guy in the Summit video had apparently just assembled his engine, and was trying to calibrate his moveable ignition timing pointer. That's not what VikingTrad3r was asking (and that's not what the Summit guy said he was doing). To accurately adjust the pointer, he should have done this before he installed his LH head! Pistons 3 & 5 will be EXACTLY equal distance from the top of the block at #1 TDC (piston #1 up, of course).

VikingTrad3r, your procedure is just fine for verifying that your harmonic damper is good! If the rubber bond is broken, the 0 degree mark on your damper will be shifted.

Old 11-25-2015, 03:19 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mtwoolford
when you verify TDC you're turning the engine in it's normal rotation; if you verify it turning it in the opposite direction, the inevitable slop in the timing chain (could be a little, could be a lot) will throw you off.
Sorry, but the timing chain has nothing to do with TDC checks. You could have the camshaft removed from the engine, and still confirm your TDC marks on your harmonic damper.

Get notified of new replies

To finding top dead center on cyl 1 while spark plugs are out

Old 11-26-2015, 04:58 PM
TimV SR
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Can someone tell me if the pointer on my '85 L98 is adjustable?

I was having trouble timing it a couple of years ago and found that the zero mark was off by about an inch. I poked a nylon wire tie into the #1 spark plug hole to determine TDC.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:11 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TimV SR
Can someone tell me if the pointer on my '85 L98 is adjustable?

I was having trouble timing it a couple of years ago and found that the zero mark was off by about an inch. I poked a nylon wire tie into the #1 spark plug hole to determine TDC.
On my 85 its not adjustable. the jagged tooth tab is like welded onto the block.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:07 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

It's not adjustable on any stock Chevy. If it was off by 1", then it's likely that your DAMPER (it's not a "balancer") had slipped. Or your TDC locating technique was faulty.

Quick Reply: finding top dead center on cyl 1 while spark plugs are out