C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

700r4 trans question: scratched up input drum

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 05:53 PM
psychodiagnostik
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 700r4 trans question: scratched up input drum

So I've strarted my winter project of rebuilding my transmission in my 93 C4. The problems were governor valve sticking, and bright metallic sheen in the fluid even after a couple of fluid and filter changes. Also after cleaning the valve body, valves, governor etc I lost reverse but aftrer digging in, I think I had valve body gaskets for wrong year and a hole was covered up. Anyway, the first thing I've noticed is how scratched the input drum is. I'm using the forum threads, youtubes, astg manual etc and I've seen one other drum that looks like this. Is this from bushing fauilre or other problem that allows for too much play in the shaft? Can the drum even be used?
Old 11-28-2015, 10:12 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

It should be fine. Wear patterns such as this are not uncommon. This picture I just took is of a disassembled one I have in my garage from my garbage truck. Check the inside of the drum where the seals ride. Check for cracks(especially where the shaft mates with the drum).
Old 11-28-2015, 02:58 PM
psychodiagnostik
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by arbee

It should be fine. Wear patterns such as this are not uncommon. This picture I just took is of a disassembled one I have in my garage from my garbage truck. Check the inside of the drum where the seals ride. Check for cracks(especially where the shaft mates with the drum).
Cool thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To 700r4 trans question: scratched up input drum

Quick Reply: 700r4 trans question: scratched up input drum