C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

91 Delco Bose Gold repair hints?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 06:36 PM
frosted
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Default 91 Delco Bose Gold repair hints?

Hello

Maybe someone has worked with the same problem.. I have a 91 Delco Bose Gold system that quit working. I'm in Europe and shipping for repairs is too expensive - easier to buy a new system. However I quite like the original look and hoping I could get it working again.

CD has never worked but radio was fine. Over winter I changed the capacitors in the speaker amps ja checked the fet's etc. After I reinstalled everything, all was fine for a short while.

Without any warning symptoms, I lost all sound. Now:
- when I turn on ignition and switch the radio on, after a few seconds I get even, constant buzz from all speakers. There's no sound, even faint, and volume setting or changing stations doesn't have any effect.
- if I turn to 'accessory', there's nothing, not even the buzz. If I put my ear next the speakers I can hear a faint hiss.

I measured the voltage at the rear speaker input, there's a slowly increasing 0,5-0,6 V and when power is switched off, the voltage goes to zero very, very slowly.

Did I blow the tuner box or the head unit? Any ideas how I could test them? At some point I removed a lot of wires from center console that the previous owner had installed for aftermarket stereo, now I'm wondering if I caused a grounding problem.. of course I can't remember if the radio quit working at the same time. I don't actually use the radio that much, only on long drives.

Thanks!
Old 11-28-2015, 07:31 PM
pezter22
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm dealing with the same issue with my '91. It was working fine last year and this year I have low volume. It could be the amps, or the CDM.

I love the look of the stock system. My '84 was missing it's Bose system and when I purchased my '91, I was grateful that I had a really nice stock setup.

Now I am trying to figure out if I want to spend nearly $700 to repair the whole system. Or, I can have an updated system installed with USB, XM Radio and bluetooth for far less.

I'm probably going to update rather than fix the system.

Here's a site that may help you diagnose your setup.

http://www.carstereohelp.com/strcorvette.htm
Old 11-29-2015, 09:36 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

What are you willing to settle for? You wanna spend money to rebuild the system that was King in it;s day but nothing today just to keep the look or do you want to get a better system? I used stock NON-BOSE speaker brackets and put modern speakers in them. Of course, I did a rewire and have an aftermarket head unit. That is a compromise. The other end is to rebuild everything which is going to be spending money rebuild some old junk. The final way is to replace everything with whatever amps and speakers you want.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:18 PM
frosted
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm pretty much 50-50 if I should upgrade. Current features like bluetooth and navigation would be nice. It's also my understanding that the colors on modern equipment can be adjusted to match the original.

Had the Metro install kit been in stock here, I might already have upgraded But it isn't so I've pulled the CDM. What a job.. I have no idea how I'm supposed to put it back.

I tested the amps and speakers, all worked great. Head unit also seemed to work as expected (buttons. display, showed stereo reception on FM).

Inside the CDM at least one burned resistor and a couple of surface mount resistors freely floating around. Without a schematic this may require a little too much reverse engineering.. even if I could do it (probably, might take a couple of years .

Get notified of new replies

To 91 Delco Bose Gold repair hints?

Quick Reply: 91 Delco Bose Gold repair hints?