C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 Corvette does not start after stall (manual trans)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 11:29 PM
jdubdeck
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 Corvette does not start after stall (manual trans)

Hello Everyone!

It seems the old corvette has been experiencing some issues when stalling. There are quite a few hills where I live and recently I am embarrassed to say I stalled. When I tried to start it up again it did absolutely nothing. It dinged and all the lights came on including the "Service Engine Soon" light. I had to run home grab my other car and jump it. The jump started it right up. It has a brand new battery, plugs and wires and this happened after about 5 minutes of idle and 1 minute of driving. After it was jumped and running the "Service Engine Soon" light was off.

I know the old starters have issues with heat but why does it start right up after a jump? Does stalling out trigger some fail safe of some sort? Perhaps the ignition is going? I am doing some work on this car for my dad and he says this is not the first time this has happened.

Please Help!!
Old 12-11-2015, 11:47 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by seabright
Check for codes? http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2011...trouble-codes/

Ensure battery cables/posts are clean and tight.
both end and the cable is good.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:58 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by jdubdeck
Hello Everyone!

It seems the old corvette has been experiencing some issues when stalling. There are quite a few hills where I live and recently I am embarrassed to say I stalled. When I tried to start it up again it did absolutely nothing. It dinged and all the lights came on including the "Service Engine Soon" light. I had to run home grab my other car and jump it. The jump started it right up. It has a brand new battery, plugs and wires and this happened after about 5 minutes of idle and 1 minute of driving. After it was jumped and running the "Service Engine Soon" light was off.

I know the old starters have issues with heat but why does it start right up after a jump? Does stalling out trigger some fail safe of some sort? Perhaps the ignition is going? I am doing some work on this car for my dad and he says this is not the first time this has happened.

Please Help!!
Just throwing this out there when your starter is going bad when you jump it it will get much more power than your regular battery thus it will turn. They are not too much if you think it is in question have it tested. They build up a varnish inside that corrodes the terminals.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:13 PM
jdubdeck
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for he info! Something really weird happened today. I was able to drive it around just fine. I stopped and turned the car off once and then started and stopped again probably 30 minutes later each time the car started up great. The last time I tried to start it it wouldn't kick over. It has a really strong crank but just does not want to turn over. So it went from not wanting to crank to just cranking and not starting. It sounds like the fuel pump went but do you think the two situations are related?
Old 12-11-2015, 11:22 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

The starter solenoid is grounded through the starter windings. If they get loose and lose their ground (which happens when the starter gets hot) then the solenoid won't pull in and no start. The solution is to replace the starter (NOT the solenoid).

The starter cools off after a few minutes of you trying to figure out what is going on and will then work OK. Lift the hood for faster cooling.

Last edited by Cliff Harris; 12-11-2015 at 11:23 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 Corvette does not start after stall (manual trans)

Quick Reply: 1985 Corvette does not start after stall (manual trans)