C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How does the Reluctor Ring work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 04:30 PM
lead_foot
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How does the Reluctor Ring work?

On those engines with the crank position sensor, how does the reluctor ring work? I know that the ring is keyed so that it only goes on the crank one way. The question is "Is there a specific position on the reluctor ring that indicates #1 tdc?". I'm trying to understand if the position of the reluctor ring determines how the cam should be installed. i.e. with gear marks aligned or both at 12 o'clock.
:)
Old 08-28-2002, 05:12 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: How does the Reluctor Ring work? (lead_foot)

Actually we came up with the solution that it doesn't matter. If the reluctor is installed properly on the crank and the cam is in time with the crank, it's the opti that determines which cylinder to fire. So it doesn't matter if you have 12 o'clock on the cam and 12 o'clock on the crank or 6 o'clock on the cam and 12 o'clock on the crank.

The crankshaft sensor has no way of knowing the difference, it just knows 1 & 6 are at TDC, if the cam is timed so that 6 is on the compression stroke then it will fire # 6 because the opti only goes on one way. If #1 is on the comrpession stroke it will fire.

As such I would put it on with the cam at 6 o'clock because it's easier to make sure it's lined up properly.
Old 08-28-2002, 07:23 PM
lead_foot
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: How does the Reluctor Ring work? (Nathan Plemons)

Cool. I thought I understood the relationships of the other pieces. It was the reluctor that I wasn't sure about. So it sounds like the reluctor doesn't have any affect on the cam installation.
So if you line up the dots on the cam gear and the crank gear and install everything else properly you can't go wrong. Good information.
:)

Get notified of new replies

To How does the Reluctor Ring work?

Quick Reply: How does the Reluctor Ring work?