C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

94 - 4L60E Transmission Pan Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 03:09 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Default 94 - 4L60E Transmission Pan Leaking

Currently have the pan off for a leak. Last couple times I had it off it was torque correctly. Probably re-torque them couple times again to stop the leak toward the front with no success.

In doing some reading about pan problems is can see where the bolt holes might have been over torque maybe before I even got the car. So I have straightened and flattened the holes where they look good now.

However when I can the pan on a flat surface it does have some rock to it and can see where the high spots are (diagonal ends). Should the pans lay exactly flat or is there some leeway in it. I am not going to bend the pan or work it any more as I can make it worse, looks better now.

I have a new gasket but hesitant to try it as I don’t really know what I have done really helped. If it leaks again I guess I have to get a new pan.
Old 12-19-2015, 03:24 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

My factory pan was not leaking but I replaced my pan with one from Ebay that was zinc plated and has a drain plug for servicing. Before installing I put a straight edge on it on across both sides and each corner to check for flatness. I also put it on a piece of glass and it was flat with no rocking as was the factory pan. So I would be suspect of a pan that rocks and is no longer flat. That is probably causing the leak. I don't know if you can reliably re-flatten the pan.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:26 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Well after I wrote the initial post I went back to work on it. I lied, but got pissed off and figured what the hell I know it's not right.

So now it does not rock anymore using the glass kitchen table as a platform. I feel a lot better about it now and will try it tomorrow. We will see.

I saw all the nice & pretty pans on EBay also with the drain plug but don’t care about it because I use an oil extractor.

Last edited by pcolt94; 12-19-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:55 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Glad you were able to flatten it. If it was me, I would have made it worse and ended up flinging it across the garage definitely damaging something else.

I've used the Harbor Freight fluid transfer pump for trans fluid in the past. I got on sale for $3.xx a few years ago and it actually works very well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-u...ump-66418.html

But I got the pan so I can drain some of the trans fluid every year when I do an oil change as regular maintenance. I didn't want to drill the factory pan to add a drain bolt kit as I like to maintain any stock parts in case I ever want to put it back to original - I know I'm a little OCD.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:39 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

I got the thing from HF also but only use it for water related projects (POS). But check this out.

Been using this for years. AutoZone use to rent it in their free tool loan program and then it went away. At that time was hard to find but I ended up buying one and now you can get them everywhere including EBay (Google liquiVac). What a great tool this is but I mainly use it for transmissions. Great for boats where you can't readily drain the engine oil. It will suck any darn thing very powerful and quick with little effort.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FU8vgQodI0wDsg

Last edited by pcolt94; 12-19-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:46 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

I wish you hadn't shown that to me. Now, it's going on the list of "things to get". Every time I get that list whittled down to a few items, I find new things to add.

Thankfully, I have a very understanding wife who's an enabler of my addiction. Heck, she even feeds it sometimes. Recently she stopped at a local flea market and called me when she found some old tools - she read the name brands and sizes of wrenches and bought the ones I asked her to get.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:56 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Train wreck and big disappointment.

I have the exact same leak in the exact same place. No improvement zero, zilch.

I had major improvement in the pan it seemed very straight and flat.

I got to be missing something here, hard for me to believe a new pan is going to be better. All torque done correctly and done right as rain.

Guess I will start pulling the converter cover and look in there again but it looked OK the first time. Then maybe pull the pan again but I don’t know what I am looking for.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:24 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by pcolt94
Guess I will start pulling the converter cover and look in there again but it looked OK the first time. Then maybe pull the pan again but I don’t know what I am looking for.
The seal in the front of the pump leaks and the ATF runs down the front of the pump and drips out the bottom. There is a very poor seal at the junction of the torque converter cover and the pan (usually there is a gap there), so it appears to be dripping from the front of the pan.

Dana Wilkes of Pro-Built Automatics recommended Farpak pan gaskets to me. I have been using them for years with very good results. One time I put one on that was soaked with ATF and it still sealed.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:25 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Is is worse or better. If better then I would say you were on the right track with the pan being out of whack. If you pull the pan again check and see if any of area around the bolt holes are mushroomed up towards the trans. In the attached link they show damaged bolt holes being repaired using a hammer and socket towards the bottom of the page.
http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/361

Is it leaking in the front? I'd say pull the flywheel cover plate to see if there is any accumulation of trans fluid in there but IIRC I had to pull the starter to get that off which makes it a real PITA.

Good luck.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:23 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

I guess things are about the same.

When I removed the pan it was clear there was no sealer used the last time I had off back in 2013 for a filter and oil. I think it might have been leaking at that time.

Working on the corners with a vice with protection bending was only a slight amount in the 1/16" range. It was not a basket case just needed some TLC. I got it much better, near perfect and also did the ball peen hammer on all the holes. Used a straight edge across all the holes making sure all was uniform. I was pretty **** about this.

Currently have 3 bolts out of the convertor cover and the 4th bolt loose. Got the cover open, things cleaned up and watching it. Jack up to look, jack down to let things happen. Like watching paint dry and still not sure of anything. Convertor has no oil on it either does the center shaft from the trans. But the "O" ring for the front pump might be seeping oil and hard to tell so far. Have not dropped pan yet going slow.

I can see where if I take the 4th bolt near the starter it might be very hard to get back in so I have pulled it back with a spacer in it and I can see pretty well with a small mirror and good light. What a PIA, I might have to live with it is the "O" ring is bad.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:41 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Looks like Cliff is correct……….unfortunately.

The car wins this battle. Looks like the seal is leaking on the front plate of the transmission right on the bottom. I did re-torque the bolts as it did need it (100" lbs). I think it's a futile effort to pull the pan and do an inspection again as I was ready to do. I think I probably did a good job on the pan and all is OK with it.

At least I got one leak solved replacing the VSS sensor assembly if you happen to follow the thread I had going on it. So there are other things to do and battles to fight and will move on.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-leaking.html

Thanks for all the help and feedback.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:35 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Sorry to hear about the seal being the cause of the leak. However, it's better to know that your work was right and the leak was something else. Sometimes these cars are two steps forward, one back with regard to repairs/upgrades. I know I have had my share too.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:54 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

I had a front pump seal leaking for years and then is suddenly fixed itself.

There was a thread here a few years ago on junk front pump seals and how to tell if you have a good one. I looked but I couldn't find it. I know that's not much help. Sorry.

Get notified of new replies

To 94 - 4L60E Transmission Pan Leaking

Quick Reply: 94 - 4L60E Transmission Pan Leaking