C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LSA Swapped 86 Vert (in progress)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 12:02 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

Definitely would be nice to get to drive the car again. Be a whole bunch more fun with the LSA under the hood.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:07 AM
Yakuza_Stingray
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm taking interest in doing a swap like this but with the LS9 supercharger lid in place of the ZL1 lid. How high up does the blower sit and will you be cutting the hood in case it doesn't fit? I won't mind cutting mine.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:17 AM
StarleX86Vert
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Yakuza_Stingray
I'm taking interest in doing a swap like this but with the LS9 supercharger lid in place of the ZL1 lid. How high up does the blower sit and will you be cutting the hood in case it doesn't fit? I won't mind cutting mine.
Are you talking about using the ls9 blower? thats the tvs 2300 its dimensions are different than the lsa tvs 1900 that i am using i dont know how different, of the two lid choices for the lsa tvs1900 that i am using i chose the taller one zl1 lid i will definitely be cutting the hood to clear even with the shorter caddy lid it wouldnt clear from the looks of things with the zl1 lid its about 1 inch above the weather stripping on the cowl, i also have my motor lower than any aftermarket or stock oil pan will allow by about 1/2' inch i had a custom pan made to allow this placement ,im gonna be going with a cowl raise similar to the toledo pro 2 3/4"
Old 04-10-2016, 06:36 PM
Yakuza_Stingray
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by StarleX86Vert
Are you talking about using the ls9 blower? thats the tvs 2300 its dimensions are different than the lsa tvs 1900 that i am using i dont know how different, of the two lid choices for the lsa tvs1900 that i am using i chose the taller one zl1 lid i will definitely be cutting the hood to clear even with the shorter caddy lid it wouldnt clear from the looks of things with the zl1 lid its about 1 inch above the weather stripping on the cowl, i also have my motor lower than any aftermarket or stock oil pan will allow by about 1/2' inch i had a custom pan made to allow this placement ,im gonna be going with a cowl raise similar to the toledo pro 2 3/4"
Oh no, there is a build that I am following on another forum where a guy has put an LSA blower on this LS3 swapped IROC-Z Camaro and he swapped the top intercooler lid with the lid from the LS9 supercharger. If I can find the link, I will post it up for you to see.

As far as the hood goes, I wouldn't mind cutting because I have an idea for a shaker style hood scoop cover myself or an L88 scoop. But I also want to say that your build looks great so far and I look forward to following along as your build is influential and I wish you the best with your build. Subscribed.

Last edited by Yakuza_Stingray; 04-10-2016 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:57 AM
StarleX86Vert
Intermediate

Oh no, there is a build that I am following on another forum where a guy has put an LSA blower on this LS3 swapped IROC-Z Camaro and he swapped the top intercooler lid with the lid from the LS9 supercharger. If I can find the link, I will post it up for you to see.

As far as the hood goes, I wouldn't mind cutting because I have an idea for a shaker style hood scoop cover myself or an L88 scoop. But I also want to say that your build looks great so far and I look forward to following along as your build is influential and I wish you the best with your build. Subscribed.

Thats interesting, i found the iroc z on ls1 tech ,haha learn something new everyday still dont think itll clear the stock hood but im interested and ill do some measuring
Thats a great idea with the hood i had originally thought of a shaker hood cant wait to see photos if you go that route
Old 04-13-2016, 12:33 AM
Yakuza_Stingray
3rd Gear

Thats interesting, i found the iroc z on ls1 tech ,haha learn something new everyday still dont think itll clear the stock hood but im interested and ill do some measuring
Thats a great idea with the hood i had originally thought of a shaker hood cant wait to see photos if you go that route
You'll be the first to know once I get started. Until then, I'm gonna sit back and learn from the master at work. Respect.
The following users liked this post:
StarleX86Vert (04-14-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 11:19 AM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Wow buddy look at you go. Just realized that you have a convertible car. wow, those seats look awesome, now I want a set for my car. wow Nice car buddy.

Dumb question for ya, on the stock truck oil pan there is no way that it will fit with the front frame support of the car? I'm doing a repair on my rack and pinion right now. The c-clamp on the passenger side is a real bear to get out. If I where you I would weld in the nuts in the underneath position below so it would make the easy repair down the road. The way GM has it right now and with the engine in, its almost impossible to get at. Plus you have to get an one wrench underneath to remove the nut. And the bolt is metric.

Last edited by Mike Holmen; 05-23-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:26 PM
StarleX86Vert
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Wow buddy look at you go. Just realized that you have a convertible car. wow, those seats look awesome, now I want a set for my car. wow Nice car buddy.

Dumb question for ya, on the stock truck oil pan there is no way that it will fit with the front frame support of the car? I'm doing a repair on my rack and pinion right now. The c-clamp on the passenger side is a real bear to get out. If I where you I would weld in the nuts in the underneath position below so it would make the easy repair down the road. The way GM has it right now and with the engine in, its almost impossible to get at. Plus you have to get an one wrench underneath to remove the nut. And the bolt is metric.
Thanks man its coming along yup stupid PITA rack bolts i welded the bolts in place you betcha

dont think your getting that truck pan in there its too tall mine is 4.5" ish and its even with the lowest point of the subframe. its hard to say at the front what clearance youll have if your keeping your engine position as my engine is forward 1" but probably not enough.

cheers
Old 05-25-2016, 05:50 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Are you guys in the calgary area? Id love to see the swap in progress or finished. Ive been looking for an old c4 to swap an lq9 into for the upcoming tracks that in the approval processes around calgary and would sure like to see how you guys are getting along with yours!

Thanks man its coming along yup stupid PITA rack bolts i welded the bolts in place you betcha

dont think your getting that truck pan in there its too tall mine is 4.5" ish and its even with the lowest point of the subframe. its hard to say at the front what clearance youll have if your keeping your engine position as my engine is forward 1" but probably not enough.

cheers
Old 05-25-2016, 07:30 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Are you guys in the calgary area? Id love to see the swap in progress or finished. Ive been looking for an old c4 to swap an lq9 into for the upcoming tracks that in the approval processes around calgary and would sure like to see how you guys are getting along with yours!

cheers
Old 05-26-2016, 11:12 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

I put in a sport rack and pinion in my car (2 turns vs the stock 2 1/2 turns). I just can't believe the difference between the two racks/pinions, but my original rack was nearly worn out. Almost feels like a different car

Alex, what you going to use for brakes? Thanks again for all your help buddy. Cheers.

I live in Airdrie

Last edited by Mike Holmen; 05-26-2016 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:41 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Very Cool Mike. Im down in bridlewood in calgary. if u are open to sharing what you have done i would love to see and hear about and would bring the tims!

cheers.

I put in a sport rack and pinion in my car (2 turns vs the stock 2 1/2 turns). I just can't believe the difference between the two racks/pinions, but my original rack was nearly worn out. Almost feels like a different car

Alex, what you going to use for brakes? Thanks again for all your help buddy. Cheers.

I live in Airdrie

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 05-27-2016 at 01:41 AM.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:59 AM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
Very Cool Mike. Im down in bridlewood in calgary. if u are open to sharing what you have done i would love to see and hear about and would bring the tims!

cheers.
Gladly, any time. I just don't have much to show. I'm still waiting on pieces to put the motor in. I'm waiting on a flex plate to show up. My car is a 85 base car.

My brother and I are going to drive our cars to Vegas on a road trip. He has a brand new 2015 ZL-1 camaro. I think that my old smokey 85 350tpi will spank his butt. His car gets 15mpg driving normally, imagine how thirsty 100-120mph will be.

Last edited by Mike Holmen; 05-28-2016 at 01:00 AM.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:48 AM
StarleX86Vert
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
Yes ive heard about the new track possibility very exciting!, ive been making steady progress as there is a slalom meet next sunday in red deer which i want to attend i live in braeside pm me your number we can meet up for coffee u can check out what ive been upto.

Old 05-28-2016, 02:52 AM
StarleX86Vert
Intermediate

I live in Airdrie
hey mike i too changed my rack to sport a year ago i quite like the quick turn setup, i was going to convert to c5 z06 brakes but since have decided to go with wilwood front setup once i get it rollin i will do the upgrade twice the price but twice the brakes and i think im gonna need em
Old 05-28-2016, 02:59 AM
StarleX86Vert
Intermediate

You'll be the first to know once I get started. Until then, I'm gonna sit back and learn from the master at work. Respect.
Finally got the hood on removed the lid and i have 75mm at the front of the blower to the hood and 90mm at the back of the blower to the hood basically even from side to side 30mm from the fuel rail right hand side of the engine the the support rib in the hood

from the looks of things the ls9 lid would most def clear the hood it is just so damned expensive and offers far less airflow

i have now changed my hood design plan i will be going shaker cutting a big ole hole for the blower!
Old 05-30-2016, 11:59 AM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

My new sport rack developed am oil leak this weekend. I spent all sunday leak proofing the rebuilt unit. Found that if you tweak the nut you can increase/decrease the road feel on rack. Now I've been tweaking mine for what I prefer.

Let me know what kit of brakes you end up purchasing and how it works. I was thinking Wilwood as well. They make a nice kit. I want to run the C6 or C7 wheels at some point (I see a few vendors that sell the 38mm offset rims for the 85 cars). Would nice to complete out the modernization correctly with the bigger wheels.

Ryan, aka VikingTrad3r, give me a call this week. Would be sweet to go see the race.

I like the fact that we actually do our own work on our rides and not farm it out, Cheers guys.

Get notified of new replies

To LSA Swapped 86 Vert (in progress)

Old 05-30-2016, 12:04 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Got your PM ill give u a call and we can hook up ill bring the tims.

i do enjoy the wrenching, its like yoga, but ive come to reaize that for me to get too much more involved i need a lift. looking at the max jax because it will fit in my shop and i can use a stool underneath.

Talk Soon, VT.

My new sport rack developed am oil leak this weekend. I spent all sunday leak proofing the rebuilt unit. Found that if you tweak the nut you can increase/decrease the road feel on rack. Now I've been tweaking mine for what I prefer.

Let me know what kit of brakes you end up purchasing and how it works. I was thinking Wilwood as well. They make a nice kit. I want to run the C6 or C7 wheels at some point (I see a few vendors that sell the 38mm offset rims for the 85 cars). Would nice to complete out the modernization correctly with the bigger wheels.

Ryan, aka VikingTrad3r, give me a call this week. Would be sweet to go see the race.

I like the fact that we actually do our own work on our rides and not farm it out, Cheers guys.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:41 AM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Wow Alex your making some pretty decent progress. How does the griffen rad fit? Looks different than the stocker.

Can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:04 AM
StarleX86Vert
Intermediate

Wow Alex your making some pretty decent progress. How does the griffen rad fit? Looks different than the stocker.

Can't wait to see the finished product.
Thanks mike , i just started the hood modification yesterday heres some starting photos , the griffin rad was a uni fit one its shorter and not as long but much thicker , i am still waiting on the machine shop tho..

Last edited by StarleX86Vert; 07-04-2016 at 11:05 AM.

Quick Reply: LSA Swapped 86 Vert (in progress)