C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Tpi cranks no sign of starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 03:58 PM
ddonaldson
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tpi cranks no sign of starting

Recently tore my carb setup off my 86 vette to go back stock with tpi setup. Motor all together I get good spark everything seems fine, motor spins but I'm not even getting a putter out of it with spraying ether. The tpi is off a 87 iroc 305 is this part of my problem?
Old 01-07-2016, 04:11 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Did you check fuel pressure yet? What about putting a noid light and see if the injectors are pulsing?
Old 01-07-2016, 04:28 PM
ddonaldson
Intermediate

Used noid light injectors are pulsing but I don't know about actually putting fuel out.new fuel pump an pressure is up
Old 01-07-2016, 04:41 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

If it wont hit on ether I would recheck static timing or make sure rotor is pointing on #1 when balancer is at 0 TDC. Possibly distributor is 180 out. recheck firing order. If it has spark and timing is close it should hit or possibly run until spray is gone. After that point you need to verify fuel injection component operation. If you changed out in tank fuel pump (5-9 psi)when you went to carb. Fuel pump won't develop the 30+ psi for injectors to operate correctly and engine to start.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:54 PM
ddonaldson
Intermediate

I used a Holley regulator to bring psi down. Removed it when I replaced the intake. The fuel pump is in the tank. Also I tried dropping distributor 180 out an still no fire. I will recheck my plug wires. What sensors might stop me from firing?
Old 01-07-2016, 05:01 PM
Vic'89
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ddonaldson
What sensors might stop me from firing?
Make sure you have pressure at the rail.

The TPS can stop the injectors from firing.

The injectors could also be all gummed up.

Vic
Old 01-07-2016, 05:06 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

I get good spark everything seems fine, motor spins but I'm not even getting a putter out of it with spraying ether.
If you've got spark and fuel (ether), and it doesn't even "putter", your ignition timing is wrong. That's first!!

Old 01-07-2016, 05:26 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

If you have spark ... pick up coil and ignition coil should be good. When you spray flammable fluid if the is spark at the right time and compression, it should hit with out sensors. Sensors that effect starting coolant, MAF, MAP main ones. Does amber check engine light work? Need to check fuel pressure over 36 psi. Injectors should have 12v to them and if you have "noid" light should blink as engine is cranked. check all of them. There are fuses that feed injectors. There is also a "cold start injector" only works when engine is cold not after it warms up. You can use test light to test for injector pulse. Attach clamp to battery positive and probe to ground side of injector connector. There is a purple wire in 4 wire connector for ecm-distributor connector. If you touch test light (clamp on positive battery post) to the purple wire terminal on ecm side of connector you should hear injectors cycle. If not you may have bad or missing ecm. I believe the 305 injectors are "smaller" than the 350s so you still may have drivability issues. Did you change it to carb or was it car when you got it. You really Need a Factory Service Manual to sort this out. Pages would be better PC require a lot of walking.

Last edited by Kevova; 01-07-2016 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:40 PM
ddonaldson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kevova
If you have spark ... pick up coil and ignition coil should be good. When you spray flammable fluid if the is spark at the right time and compression, it should hit with out sensors. Sensors that effect starting coolant, MAF, MAP main ones. Does amber check engine light work? Need to check fuel pressure over 36 psi. Injectors should have 12v to them and if you have "noid" light should blink as engine is cranked. check all of them. There are fuses that feed injectors. There is also a "cold start injector" only works when engine is cold not after it warms up. You can use test light to test for injector pulse. Attach clamp to battery positive and probe to ground side of injector connector. There is a purple wire in 4 wire connector for ecm-distributor connector. If you touch test light (clamp on positive battery post) to the purple wire terminal on ecm side of connector you should hear injectors cycle. If not you may have bad or missing ecm. I believe the 305 injectors are "smaller" than the 350s so you still may have drivability issues. Did you change it to carb or was it car when you got it. You really Need a Factory Service Manual to sort this out. Pages would be better PC require a lot of walking.
Thanks for the info I will try these an let you know. I do have a manual an at points I don't exactly understand some things due to dyslexia. I know I'm going to have problems with injectors already making plans to buy new ones. The iroc intake has the cold start but the vette wiring seems to have an extra injector plug I'm unsure where it goes. Is there 2 injectors on vette?Was hoping to get the car to start first. Car came with carb setup I swapped intake an carb to make it run, then decided I wanted it to be easier an economical to drive.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:06 PM
ddonaldson
Intermediate

Old 01-07-2016, 06:35 PM
ddonaldson
Intermediate

Power to all injectors even cold start, power to dist. I used this dist when I ran the carb setup but I rechecked it anyway. Hadn't checked for tdc again but I'll have to wait an check it later. Wife said I gotta stop for tonight. Lol tnx so far to all is there anything else I might be missing? I do have another tpi setup from a 350 with no cold start an has a map sensor. How can I check the injectors to see if there gummed up? Might swap them in
Old 01-07-2016, 07:38 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I used a Holley regulator to bring psi down. Removed it when I replaced the intake. The fuel pump is in the tank. Also I tried dropping distributor 180 out an still no fire. I will recheck my plug wires. What sensors might stop me from firing?
Down from what? What is it at now? Will it hold pressure and for how long?
Old 01-08-2016, 08:52 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

You have quite a mess. I wouldn't be in a hurry. Just follow the flow charts and realize you may have some incorrect parts. You need to go to dealer and get a few terminals that fit ecm connectors so you can "Pin Test" circuits. Using paper clips and stabbing wires can lead to other problems. You do need to make sure you have the correct distributor. Most carb conversions will include installing a mechanical/vacuum advance distributor. The computer distributor has no advance because the ecm provides it. Good Luck
Old 01-08-2016, 05:24 PM
ddonaldson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kevova
You have quite a mess. I wouldn't be in a hurry. Just follow the flow charts and realize you may have some incorrect parts. You need to go to dealer and get a few terminals that fit ecm connectors so you can "Pin Test" circuits. Using paper clips and stabbing wires can lead to other problems. You do need to make sure you have the correct distributor. Most carb conversions will include installing a mechanical/vacuum advance distributor. The computer distributor has no advance because the ecm provides it. Good Luck
Tnx when I got the car the motor was just sitting in there unhooked I hooked it up an used the ECM for the most part an tucked the rest of the wires drove it around the block an decided to go back tpi. I don't think I'm having problems with wires or ECM I think it's in this old set ups 20 yrs old.I'm gonna venture to geuss I need to buy new injectors an sensors
Old 01-09-2016, 02:17 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

I'm gonna venture to geuss I need to buy new injectors an sensors
I'd gue$$ you're about to gue$$ away a lot of money, unle$$ you figure out what'$ wrong, fir$t! Do you have the FSM for your car? Absolute necessity!

I do have a manual an at points I don't exactly understand some things
Is your manual the GM FSM, or a worthless Chilton or Haynes?

Last edited by Hot Rod Roy; 01-09-2016 at 02:22 AM.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:15 PM
ddonaldson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
I'd gue$$ you're about to gue$$ away a lot of money, unle$$ you figure out what'$ wrong, fir$t! Do you have the FSM for your car? Absolute necessity!

I've got a chiltons. I think I'm at a stale mate right the moment, I've gotta get some money together to buy a fuel pressure tester mine broke. Well the motor I tore the intake off supposedly had 60,000 on it an sat for 15 yrs

Last edited by ddonaldson; 01-09-2016 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:51 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Tnx when I got the car the motor was just sitting in there unhooked I hooked it up an used the ECM for the most part an tucked the rest of the wires drove it around the block an decided to go back tpi. I don't think I'm having problems with wires or ECM I think it's in this old set ups 20 yrs old.I'm gonna venture to geuss I need to buy new injectors an sensors
Call Jon at FIC to see if you have Multec injectors. If it were mine, they go into the trash. If not, I send them out for cleaning and testing. After all these years, it could stand to be cleaned and balance.

Until you know what is wrong and thus which sensor, all you are doing is compounding the problem.

You need a scanner and an FSM. In a pinch, you might be able to borrow one from an Autozone along with tools like a fuel pressure tester, compression tester, etc, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To Tpi cranks no sign of starting

Old 01-09-2016, 11:52 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
Hey now. Chilton or Haynes are not worthless. The pages make good kindling.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:54 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I've got a chiltons. I think I'm at a stale mate right the moment, I've gotta get some money together to buy a fuel pressure tester mine broke. Well the motor I tore the intake off supposedly had 60,000 on it an sat for 15 yrs
See if your local Autozone can lend you a fuel pressure tester.

The injectors probably have varnish and would need to be cleaned. My ATVs, Jetskis and Vette injectors are sent off every 3 years for cleaning and testing. Daily drivers are sent off every 100K since it doesn't sit as long. Never had the injectors come back with a perfect "before" and similar "after".
Old 01-13-2016, 07:31 PM
ddonaldson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by aklim
See if your local Autozone can lend you a fuel pressure tester.

The injectors probably have varnish and would need to be cleaned. My ATVs, Jetskis and Vette injectors are sent off every 3 years for cleaning and testing. Daily drivers are sent off every 100K since it doesn't sit as long. Never had the injectors come back with a perfect "before" and similar "after".
I'm waiting till Friday I'm just gonna buy a testor, as often as I work on cars it should pay for itself. What size injectors should I pick up? I'm just gonna buy new, thinking about going bigger. This motor has a cam I don't know how big an the heads are a 70 style 194 64cc.

Quick Reply: Tpi cranks no sign of starting