C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

4+3 Corvette as a first car

Old 01-15-2016, 04:19 PM
Wannabevetteguy
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going back to one of my original questions would it be possible to disconnect the overdrive completely and solve the issues it could end up having? Theoretically it would be rendered useless and leave you with the super t10 wouldn't it? If it doesn't function it can't break can it?
Old 01-15-2016, 04:25 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

You could always save a bit longer and pick up a later ZF6 car.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:00 PM
84Z51J
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Wannabevetteguy
Going back to one of my original questions would it be possible to disconnect the overdrive completely and solve the issues it could end up having? Theoretically it would be rendered useless and leave you with the super t10 wouldn't it? If it doesn't function it can't break can it?

Idk if disconnecting your O/D qualifies as solving your issues and your highway RPMs will be uncomfortably high without it. You should be able to avoid any immediate problems by doing your due diligence as a buyer - make sure it engages, and listen for unwanted noises with and without O/D. If you do hear something, take note of what sort of noise it is (grinding, chirping, clunking, etc.), approximately where you think it's coming from, and when it does that (@ a particular MPH, RPM, temp, etc.). All of these will help narrow down whatever may be going on internally. Ultimately it's your car/your call, but these things don't operate on rocket science...if something does go south, you've got a forum's worth of help, and there are full rebuild instructions just a Google away if you feel up to the challenge.

That, or do a tranny swap, but I'd save those $$$ for more useful/fun mods (and unexpected repairs)! Whatever your decision, I wouldn't recommend daily driving any car without a fully functioning transmission.

Last edited by 84Z51J; 01-15-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:02 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 525 Likes on 475 Posts

One more thing to check. I have serious reservations that you will be able to get the car titled in your name or get car insurance in your name. As a 16 year old, you're a minor. Depending on the state rules you live under, I suspect you will have to be at least 18 before you can accomplish either on your own. You may be able to get your name on it but I'll bet it at a minimum will have to have one adult on the title and insurance.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:14 AM
Wannabevetteguy
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by larry_c4
Cant say much for the 4+3, but at 17 I bought a 1992 LT1. Its a fun car, just respect the power. Just try to get a clean one that was well maintained. Remember, its a pretty old car and can be expensive to maintain at times. Its the little stuff that gets you, sensors...ecm...digital dash..bose... etc
im 99% responsible when it comes to my belongings, and if i got a corvette i guarantee i would be 100% with it not wanting to wreck and all. as for stuff breaking down, its a 30ish yr old corvette... i expect it to happen, and as long as electrical issues dont get too terribly bad, i'm usually mechanically inclined, so i wouldnt mind fixing stuff. its the price i pay to not drive a rice burner

as for some earlier posts, when i was on 3rdgen.org, they recommended for whatever sportier car i get, be it a vette, f/g body, elky, mx5, that i insure it under one of my parents, and insure me under one of their cars (15 grand caravan, 06 v6 sonata). this sounds like a good plan, but idk if my mom will go through with it.

another thing my dad said i could do is get a cheapo smaller truck(s10 c10 or f150) or a cheap japanese car(mx5 or similar), and get a project car. with a c3(68) being my favorite car ever, this sounds tempting, but at the same time, so does building up a 3rd gen or making a 50s belair gasser... theres no denying it for my family, even my sister(who hates cars) said the blasphemi was a cool looking car. i still have some some time to make p my mind, and in all actuality its really whether or not my parents veto it lol

Last edited by Wannabevetteguy; 02-04-2016 at 12:22 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4+3 Corvette as a first car