C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1989 C4 A/C delete question

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 11:23 PM
TurboHobbit
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 C4 A/C delete question

Ok guys, I have a dilemma. I'm helping my dad with his 89 C4 and he's stranded about 180 miles away from me. I need to go to him and fix his car. I have to put a water pump on it which is no big deal. The other problem is that his A/C clutch is smoked. He doesn't have the cash for a new compressor right now (it's locked up) and wants to just delete it for now. I've been searching on here but the threads are old and I'm not sure info is still accurate. Is there anywhere to get an A/C delete pulley for an 89 L98 Vette? I see the TPIS is for up to 87, so I'm assuming that won't work for his. Is there another one someone KNOWS works? I see people deleting it without the A/C delete pulley also but most everyone is talking about moving the alternator and all that. I need something I can just bolt on rather quickly and get him going since the car is stranded in a parking lot. Also, is there any way to just get a shorter belt and run it that way if I remove the compressor? Just asking for any option I can use. I saw on a post from 2010 that Napa sold the proper A/C delete pulley for these...anyone know if they still do? Does anyone have part numbers for any belts or delete pulleys I need? Thank you in advance!!!
Old 01-15-2016, 11:26 PM
TurboHobbit
3rd Gear

Also, another question...is there another A/C compressor off another GM that will work on the Corvette? My local scrapyard has a huge GM section but no Vettes. This isn't a permanent solution, this is an emergency situation to get him going again for now so it can make the near-200 mile trip to my shop.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:38 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

When the A/C is turned off, the clutch is not engaged with the pulley, and the pulley should spin freely. Is the pulley also jammed?
Old 01-16-2016, 12:55 AM
TurboHobbit
3rd Gear

Yes, he has been relying on the clutch, as the compressor is locked up. Now the clutch has gone out and is coming apart.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:36 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 216 Posts

summit sell a range of them, I have a Dorman on mine,
you may have to check with them re the 89 application

http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...evrolet&page=2
Old 01-16-2016, 10:22 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

According to the Dorman website, they do not have an A/C delete kit for '88 and later L98 Corvettes.

I think the best thing you can do is to either find a complete junkyard compressor with a pulley that spins, or get a remanufactured compressor. Chances are the compressor is going to be Corvette-specific. Either way, he will probably want the A/C system working at some point. Might as well get that part installed so he can drive it home. Get a new serp belt too!!

Good luck!
Old 01-18-2016, 10:53 AM
canuck buick
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine is deleted without the a/c delete bracket , was done before I purchased it, I assume they just used a smaller belt
Old 01-19-2016, 06:20 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I have seen them just use shorter belts, but I myself do not know which length belt to use.

I'm not aware of any deletion kits for sale anywhere specific to the later L98s.

The Compressor itself is a Nippondenso if memory serves, and it is specific to the car. Best bet is a reman.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:53 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

If the L98 is the same in an 86 is the same as the one in your 89, RockAuto carries a Dorman delete kit for the 86. Might be at least worth a look.

Last edited by hcbph; 01-21-2016 at 05:54 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:46 PM
wilcar
Burning Brakes

Received 181 Likes on 161 Posts

Dorman 34224 says 85-87 models only.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:06 AM
drag racer 9
Advanced

Default Guys are right Dooorman E-bay lot cheeper

Originally Posted by TurboHobbit
Ok guys, I have a dilemma. I'm helping my dad with his 89 C4 and he's stranded about 180 miles away from me. I need to go to him and fix his car. I have to put a water pump on it which is no big deal. The other problem is that his A/C clutch is smoked. He doesn't have the cash for a new compressor right now (it's locked up) and wants to just delete it for now. I've been searching on here but the threads are old and I'm not sure info is still accurate. Is there anywhere to get an A/C delete pulley for an 89 L98 Vette? I see the TPIS is for up to 87, so I'm assuming that won't work for his. Is there another one someone KNOWS works? I see people deleting it without the A/C delete pulley also but most everyone is talking about moving the alternator and all that. I need something I can just bolt on rather quickly and get him going since the car is stranded in a parking lot. Also, is there any way to just get a shorter belt and run it that way if I remove the compressor? Just asking for any option I can use. I saw on a post from 2010 that Napa sold the proper A/C delete pulley for these...anyone know if they still do? Does anyone have part numbers for any belts or delete pulleys I need? Thank you in advance!!!
The Guys are right Doorman go on E-Bay save you money plus free shipping. Hope this helps you.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:04 AM
Schieby
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have deleted A/C, A.I.R. and the belt tensioner at the same time. Very simple job. You need to fabricate a D.I.Y. alternator bracket with a long slot and built up belt tension the pretty old fashioned way. Belt´s are available at any size you need. You measure the needed length with a rope...that´s all. You don´t need another water pump or something....and yes, my water pumps runs backwards......I don´t care, eiter is the L98 or the temp gauge on german autobahn´s
Old 01-24-2016, 08:08 AM
drag racer 9
Advanced

Originally Posted by Schieby
I have deleted A/C, A.I.R. and the belt tensioner at the same time. Very simple job. You need to fabricate a D.I.Y. alternator bracket with a long slot and built up belt tension the pretty old fashioned way. Belt´s are available at any size you need. You measure the needed length with a rope...that´s all. You don´t need another water pump or something....and yes, my water pumps runs backwards......I don´t care, eiter is the L98 or the temp gauge on german autobahn´s
Nice Buddy I'll keep that in mind Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To 1989 C4 A/C delete question

Quick Reply: 1989 C4 A/C delete question