C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Looking at a 6AL. Who's using it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 11:05 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
MSD ignition boxes can run wider spark plug gaps because it is a capacitive discharge ignition.
Say WHAT? The ignition BOX, is not an ignition COIL. A "CD Ignition" is referring to the coil....not the box.

Funny. I didn't notice a difference either.

The selling point is the rev limiter.
The benefit of the thing is rev control. Other than that, it's simply a grounding device for what ever ignition coil you're using, just like a stock ignition module is...and similar, in function, to what points are. An "on/off relay", if you will.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 02-06-2016 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:41 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Say WHAT? The ignition BOX, is not an ignition COIL. A "CD Ignition" is referring to the coil....not the box.
Don't take it up with me. Take it up with MSD, first page.

https://www.msdignition.com/uploaded...structions.pdf
Old 02-07-2016, 12:06 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

That first paragraph is either:
1. dead assed wrong/lying
or
2. VERY cleverly worded so it's not legally false advertising.
I can't determine which is going on there, but it is functionally wrong.

With a Capacitive Discharge Ignition, the Capacitor IS the coil....not the ignition module (which is what the MSD box is -an ignition module).

Anyone of us here, with a modicum of ignition system knowledge can realize that wording by MSD is bogus by this statement alone:
With the CD design, the voltage sent to the coil is always at full power even at high rpm.
Well....the "voltage sent to the coil" in ANY car is "always at full power even at high rpm." ....it's battery voltage from the ignition circuit!

Here is some READING.
From the first paragraph;
"The capacitive-discharge ignition uses capacitor discharge current output to fire the spark plugs."

What "fires the spark plugs"? The coil.

What fires the spark plugs in your car w/an MSD box? The MSD box? No. Your stock (or stock replacement) Inductive Discharge Ignition coil is what fires the plugs.

SO...How can a stock coil being triggered by an MSD box be a "CDI ignition" when the coil is an inductive coil?

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 02-07-2016 at 12:28 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:47 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

That first paragraph is either:
1. dead assed wrong/lying
or
2. VERY cleverly worded so it's not legally false advertising.
I can't determine which is going on there, but it is functionally wrong.

With a Capacitive Discharge Ignition, the Capacitor IS the coil....not the ignition module (which is what the MSD box is -an ignition module).

Anyone of us here, with a modicum of ignition system knowledge can realize that wording by MSD is bogus by this statement alone:
With the CD design, the voltage sent to the coil is always at full power even at high rpm.
Well....the "voltage sent to the coil" in ANY car is "always at full power even at high rpm." ....it's battery voltage from the ignition circuit!

Here is some READING.
From the first paragraph;
"The capacitive-discharge ignition uses capacitor discharge current output to fire the spark plugs."

What "fires the spark plugs"? The coil.

What fires the spark plugs in your car w/an MSD box? The MSD box? No. Your stock (or stock replacement) Inductive Discharge Ignition coil is what fires the plugs.

SO...How can a stock coil being triggered by an MSD box be a "CDI ignition" when the coil is an inductive coil?
MSD explains their side of the story further in this article:

https://www.msdignition.com/uploaded...tb_top_ten.pdf

"1. What’s the differences between a Capacitive Discharge (CD) ignition
like an MSD and my stock ignition system?

The biggest difference is that the majority of stock ignitions
are inductive ignitions. Inductive ignition systems are used
due to their simplicity and inexpensive production. For stock
applications these ignitions are adequate, but when it comes
to gaining performance, factory inductive ignitions fall short.
The primary weak link of a stock ignition is because the coil
serves double duty. The coil must act as a step-up transformer
to create a higher voltage spark, plus it needs to store this
power until the ignition is triggered. As engine rpm increases
there isn’t enough time to completely step-up the voltage
before the ignition is triggered resulting in a weaker spark.
This low voltage spark may not be enough to light the fuel
mixture in the cylinder which will result in a misfire and loss
of power.
A CD ignition, like an MSD 6 Series, is capable of producing
full power sparks throughout the entire rpm range. It draws
its energy directly from the battery where a custom wound
transformer steps it up to over 460 volts. This voltage is then
stored in a capacitor until the ignition is triggered. At this point,
all of the voltage is dumped into the coil where it is transformed
into even more voltage, anywhere from 30,000 - 45,000 volts
depending on the coil, which is sent to the distributor and
finally to the plugs.
The ability to produce high power sparks throughout the
entire rpm range of your engine is why you need a CD ignition. The payoff is complete combustion of the fuel mixture
which results in more power, increased throttle response, a smooth idle, quick starts, improved economy and
reduced plug fouling.
All engines will benefit from a CD ignition but when you’re planning on engine modifications, the need for an MSD
Ignition increases. In particular, if you’re planning these types of engine modifications, you should be installing a CD
ignition:
•  Improving air flow into the engine or richening the fuel mixture (rejetting or larger injectors)
•  Adding a super/turbocharger or a nitrous oxide system
•  Increasing the compression ratio and consistent high rpm operation"
Old 02-07-2016, 02:09 AM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by cardo0
High voltage and high power is for the high compression and high rpm motors, also the power adders.

For mild rpm, compression and power stay w/HEI. It has a nice long spark. Just use a smaller 0.030" gap if going above 5,000rpm. U will want a performance unit also as the stock HEI has some short comings.
11:1 compression, I know there's wilder out there but compared to the old L98 ratio in the 9s, it seems like a significant bump. The occasional trip past 6,000 rpm is expected...just wanted to make sure everything was able to keep up.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:17 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

I think the MSD box would be helpful at 11:1 and defiantly above 6,000rpm. Let me say this i expect the MSD box to be a help with that combination but if driven daily u will need more frequent cap/rotor/plug changes.

And the rev limiter makes it worth it by itself i think. My GEN II optispark really doesnt need any help making spark. But not only having rev control but w/2,000rpm "chip" i have a valet control also. To me that may save not only the drive line from abuse during servicing but the whole car from a joy ride crash. To its worth it to me as all the work that goes into my car cannot be replaced.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:37 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

MSD explains their side of the story further in this article:

https://www.msdignition.com/uploaded...tb_top_ten.pdf

"1. What’s the differences between a Capacitive Discharge (CD) ignition
like an MSD and my stock ignition system?

The biggest difference is that the majority of stock ignitions
are inductive ignitions. Inductive ignition systems are used
due to their simplicity and inexpensive production. For stock
applications these ignitions are adequate, but when it comes
to gaining performance, factory inductive ignitions fall short.
The primary weak link of a stock ignition is because the coil
serves double duty. The coil must act as a step-up transformer
to create a higher voltage spark, plus it needs to store this
power until the ignition is triggered. As engine rpm increases
there isn’t enough time to completely step-up the voltage
before the ignition is triggered resulting in a weaker spark.
This low voltage spark may not be enough to light the fuel
mixture in the cylinder which will result in a misfire and loss
of power.
A CD ignition, like an MSD 6 Series, is capable of producing
full power sparks throughout the entire rpm range. It draws
its energy directly from the battery where a custom wound
transformer steps it up to over 460 volts. This voltage is then
stored in a capacitor until the ignition is triggered. At this point,
all of the voltage is dumped into the coil where it is transformed
into even more voltage, anywhere from 30,000 - 45,000 volts
depending on the coil, which is sent to the distributor and
finally to the plugs.
The ability to produce high power sparks throughout the
entire rpm range of your engine is why you need a CD ignition. The payoff is complete combustion of the fuel mixture
which results in more power, increased throttle response, a smooth idle, quick starts, improved economy and
reduced plug fouling.
All engines will benefit from a CD ignition but when you’re planning on engine modifications, the need for an MSD
Ignition increases. In particular, if you’re planning these types of engine modifications, you should be installing a CD
ignition:
•  Improving air flow into the engine or richening the fuel mixture (rejetting or larger injectors)
•  Adding a super/turbocharger or a nitrous oxide system
•  Increasing the compression ratio and consistent high rpm operation"
What a bunch of malarkey. Gobbledygook, to confuse and dupe the consumer.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:38 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,044 Posts

I've noticed that Nascar cars have a MSD box or two mounted on the transmission tunnel. A good number of NHRA cars use the thing too (including mine, haha).
Old 02-07-2016, 02:03 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 1,964 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
I've noticed that Nascar cars have a MSD box or two mounted on the transmission tunnel. A good number of NHRA cars use the thing too (including mine, haha).
And if I were running NASCAR or NHRA, it might be a consideration. Question is whether it helps out a street car significantly or not.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:05 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by aklim
And if I were running NASCAR or NHRA, it might be a consideration. Question is whether it helps out a street car significantly or not.
If you need a rev limiter, then yes it does.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:10 PM
aklim
Team Owner

True but besides that, does the multiple spark discharge properties really help?
Old 02-07-2016, 02:14 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Exactly. But in the propaganda that you posted, there is not only an implication but an outright claim of increased powr. Where is that power? No one that I am aware of who puts an MSD box into their car has gained any meaningful power.

The coil is ultimately what determines the power to the spark plug. You're using the same inductive ignition coil whether you use the MSD box, or the stock ignition module.

Daniel, you've got an MSD box, go measure the voltage at the coil with it running. Tell us what you see? You putting 480-volts into your stock coil, like the MSD propaganda says you should be? Let's go on a little fact finding mission.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:48 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Exactly. But in the propaganda that you posted, there is not only an implication but an outright claim of increased powr. Where is that power? No one that I am aware of who puts an MSD box into their car has gained any meaningful power.

The coil is ultimately what determines the power to the spark plug. You're using the same inductive ignition coil whether you use the MSD box, or the stock ignition module.

Daniel, you've got an MSD box, go measure the voltage at the coil with it running. Tell us what you see? You putting 480-volts into your stock coil, like the MSD propaganda says you should be? Let's go on a little fact finding mission.
Hey, don't shoot the messenger.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:02 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Hey, don't shoot the messenger.
I don't believe that there is any shooting going on. What I've done, is ask you to run a test.. can you do that? If I had an MSD box, I would be happy to run that test.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:31 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

I don't believe that there is any shooting going on. What I've done, is ask you to run a test.. can you do that? If I had an MSD box, I would be happy to run that test.
I could. However, possibly at the expense of my meter. Lol. I will see if I can use a meter safe enough to find out without damaging the meter.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:10 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

I could. However, possibly at the expense of my meter. Lol. I will see if I can use a meter safe enough to find out without damaging the meter.
Cool. THanks and let us know what you see. Not that it makes any diff in real world results, but I'm definitely curious to learn more about how the box works. If it's really putting 480v into a stock coil...that is something.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:16 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Lots of great input. Sounds like my build is still mild enough to take advantage of the stock HEI. Now I'm curious as to "enhancements" like the Flamethrower, ACCEL and other's versiosn of the coils and modules. Wonder if these are worth the while.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking at a 6AL. Who's using it?

Old 02-07-2016, 08:10 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
Lots of great input. Sounds like my build is still mild enough to take advantage of the stock HEI. Now I'm curious as to "enhancements" like the Flamethrower, ACCEL and other's versiosn of the coils and modules. Wonder if these are worth the while.
Here is MY take, based on our knowledge of the fundamentals on how ignition systems work:

Modules: An ignition module is a relay, in function. The coil is powered by 12v ignition and the relay grounds the circuit to charge the coil. The relay opens the circuit, to collapse the field and the coil throws a spark. SO, as long as the module is capable of doing this job up to the top of your RPM range, then I can't see how any other "relay" can do a better job of opening and closing a circuit, than the stock "relay". Even one with the name "flame thrower" on it.

Coil: I know that a coil with more windings will make more peak voltage and potentially throw a bigger spark than a cheaper coil. BUT no coil, no matter how "bad assed" will throw more peak voltage than your combo (plug gap, compression, etc) needs. If you've got a 8:1 compression engine with a .020" plug gap, you probably only need ~8000v to start the spark. That is what your coil will produce, even if it's a "60,000 volt "Flame Thrower" coil. So, does your combo need more coil? Only if it's breaking up on top, due to lack of spark energy or saturation time....which is often easily fixed by simply closing the plug gap.

Every aftermarket coil I've ever put on a car took a dump w/in a year. I've never had a stock coil fail...personal or fleet/work (though I know they can and do fail).

My conclusion: I won't change out stock ignition parts until I run into a tangible limitation from them.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:25 PM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
If you want to improve the HEI system the Mallory HEI (in cap) coil is a good improvement, Im not sure Mallory are still making them since MSD took them over, but you can get the Accel GM HEI version.
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/acc-140003r

Use a quality cap, such as the MSD and one big tip, dont use a cheap rotor ! the stock GM part is actually a good rotor.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:35 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Every aftermarket coil I've ever put on a car took a dump w/in a year. I've never had a stock coil fail...personal or fleet/work (though I know they can and do fail).

My conclusion: I won't change out stock ignition parts until I run into a tangible limitation from them.
I'd have to disagree with you on that. I have had the same MSD coil that I changed out only because I banged the post off by accident. It has been 10 years. Previously, on my F-body, I can't remember what happened but the coil was tight where it was so we moved it away. F-body had a divorced coil, Vette had to be changed because it could only use the small cap.

Quick Reply: Looking at a 6AL. Who's using it?