C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rear tires look bowed on 1996

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 06:22 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by LCPLPunk
So none of my ball joints front/upper, front/lower are good, would this affect being able to get correct caster?
They are worn out? Why did they even bother with the alignment. First step is to verify you don't have loose or worn out components on the suspension. Its absolutely worthless to do an alignment on a car with loose components?

How do you know they are not any good?

Yes, it affects the repair because it won't HOLD alignment if they are loose.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:28 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
in the factory they run it over a bunch of speed bumps to settle things. once it is set you want to bounce it around to see if it changes.
This will also tell you if you have worn out parts and it should not have been alind.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:02 AM
LCPLPunk
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, I need all new ball joints, both upper and lower, and I probably should have the bushings redone as well.

The back could probably use the same treatment. :P

It's an ongoing project. I got the alignment because I had new tires and all new outer tie rods put on and it was way off.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:44 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Yep, I need all new ball joints, both upper and lower, and I probably should have the bushings redone as well.

It's an ongoing project. I got the alignment because I had new tires and all new outer tie rods put on and it was way off.
Best to fix all that is needed or the new parts will just wear out faster.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:27 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

They should not have aligned it and notified of their findings as mentioned in the above posts
Old 02-05-2016, 03:25 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

If the car "looks" like the rear end have neg camber - I would suggest the following ... Borrow a digital level (Sears has them, and most home improvement stores have them.) Verify the digital level is calibrated by making sure it reads a home door jam equally when the level is vertical and when it's upside down.

Now, with the car parked on level ground, measure the (vertical) angle of the two rear tires by placing the level against the flat of the wheel or by using equal width spacers on the "wheel lip" (the flat that the tire bead seals against) - what you have to do depends on how long your level is. Each side should be about 90 degrees. A slight amount (say 0.3 degrees) off - with the top of the tires closer to each other is acceptable. If not right - get the car re-aligned. If it is right - and you still think the cars tires are leaning - see an optometrist.

Doing any alignment with worn suspension parts is a waste of time - the readings won't be accurate, and the work will need to be redone. I get redoing toe-in after replacing a tie rod end - but doing a 4 wheel alignment at that time was probably not in your best interest.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:59 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

You can get a free app for your phone and a stick.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:08 PM
Gas Junkie
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another thing to check is if the Spindle Rod Adjustment Nut has backed off. The torque spec on it is 187 ft-lbs which is stout. If it backs off, you will lose camber control.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:24 PM
LCPLPunk
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys. I have so much to do with this car and it's taking awhile.

Here's whats on my list:

fuel filter
pcv valve
ball joints
stainless brake lines
bushings
find oil leaks
fix tranny leak near driveshaft
remove radiator shroud and clean radiator debris
install tranny cooler

I have two little ones that demand a lot of my time and so I have to do things little by little. :P

Last edited by LCPLPunk; 02-05-2016 at 07:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear tires look bowed on 1996