C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

DEI Titanium Exhaust Wrap - GROUP BUY INTEREST CHECK

Old 02-04-2016, 03:15 PM
0Massdrop
Former Vendor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16
Default DEI Titanium Exhaust Wrap - GROUP BUY INTEREST CHECK

Hey everyone,

You haven't seen me around these parts yet, but my name is Lukas and I'm the Buyer for Massdrop's new automotive community. Massdrop is a community of 1.5M people who discuss, vote for, and buy the best enthusiast products in groups.

We recently ran a very successful group buy in the C7 sub-forum for the Z06 rear quarter panel vents and had 45 people join in. Here's a link to that thread.

I've been working closely with DEI the past few weeks to work up a deal for you guys. We're very close to having a group buy for their Titanium Exhaust Wrap locked down, but I wanted to do an interest check to see how many of you guys would be interested in something like this.

Just reply to the thread below and I'll add your name to the interested list! I will personally message everyone who says they are interested if and when the group buy goes live.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:26 PM
383tpimachine
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Bought 2 50' rolls 3 weeks ago. Great stuff.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:34 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Does it create rust and rotting?
Old 02-05-2016, 05:38 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Ive always heard to never wrap exhaust if you want it to last. So Im curious too.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:36 PM
383tpimachine
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by pologreen1
Does it create rust and rotting?
You can prep a header to help it last. Biggest help is with underhood heat.

Originally Posted by crowz
Ive always heard to never wrap exhaust if you want it to last. So Im curious too.
Why else would an EXHAUST wrap exist? They serve their purpose to keep engine bay temps down. For us supercharger guys whose intake usually sits above the headers it is greatly worth it.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:36 PM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 215 Posts

it depends on what you use it on, stainless, chrome plated and coated steel is ok,
mild steel will rust with wrap on, this pic is after wrap was on for a short period of time,

but sometimes its a necessary evil, I have wrap on the 4 right hand side pipes as they go past the starter motor and the wiring looms, If I have to cut the pipes and fix them down the track so be it.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:49 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

My current exhaust is wrapped by the previous owner. Ive never used the stuff before as I always heard it will rust out the exhaust which is why I was curious.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:17 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

If it cuts under hood temps and is proven to not rot coated headers I may be interested.

Will the vendor please clear this up.

Last edited by pologreen1; 02-05-2016 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:13 AM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 371 Posts

years ago I wrapped a set of coated hooker headers for a street car which saw drag and auto-x use, it was a double edge sword. for the positive, the wrap greatly reduced under hood temperatures. I even dropped a bolt on the headers while it was running and just reached down and picked it up without burning my fingers. negative, it retained so much heat in the header that the structure of the metal was compromised: it got brittle. I also didn't start the wrap for 6 inches from the header flange, that is where most of the heat is that would deteriate the header. when I pulled the headers, they were nasty/rusty looking from getting wet then extreme heat.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:04 PM
0Massdrop
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '16

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the informative and civil discussion about the wrap's effects on the pipes.

Blackozvet and Sleazy Rider, were you guys using the old style wrap or the newer titanium (lava rock) stuff? I'm going to ask DEI if the titanium wrap is any different with respect to corrosion. I have a feeling that the material of the pipes has a much larger impact though.

-Lukas
Old 02-06-2016, 06:36 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by pologreen1
If it cuts under hood temps and is proven to not rot coated headers I may be interested.

Will the vendor please clear this up.
I ask in the other thread he sent me here. Looks like we will have to wait till next week.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 02-06-2016 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:55 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Massdrop
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the informative and civil discussion about the wrap's effects on the pipes.

Blackozvet and Sleazy Rider, were you guys using the old style wrap or the newer titanium (lava rock) stuff? I'm going to ask DEI if the titanium wrap is any different with respect to corrosion. I have a feeling that the material of the pipes has a much larger impact though.

-Lukas
I have used the common style wrap, Ive used it on karts, motorbikes, and cars, and yes the type of header material does make a difference. Stainless seems to be the most resilient to being wrapped.

A mate of mine has the titanium wrap on his coated headers on his Dodge racecar engine and has had no issues with it after 2 seasons.
Im pretty sure he used the spray sealer on it.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:14 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Massdrop
Blackozvet and Sleazy Rider, were you guys using the old style wrap or the newer titanium (lava rock) stuff?
I was using the old style wrap. back then all the write-ups were saying not to wrap all the way to the header flange because of all the heat retention in the first few inches of the tube caused cracks in the metal if using mild steel headers. stainless steel headers resisted heat fractures better.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:57 PM
0Massdrop
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '16

Hey guys,

A couple of you had questions about the wrap, I reached out to DEI and these were the answers I got.

1. How does water affect the wrap and pipes?

If the wrap gets wet it can hold water but typically it burns off when the engine is running. If the wrap is saturated or wet simply let the engine run a minute or two after parking to burn off any moisture in it.
2. What type of under-hood temperature reductions should users expect with the wrap?

There are several factors that can change the underhood temps. Typically you will see a 30-40% decrease in temperatures again depending on application.
3. How do the fiberglass and titanium wraps compare in terms of absorbency?

I don’t have any specific data on how much each wrap absorbs. I would think it will be the same or close to the same for glass vs basalt based materials. Customers can use our HT silicone spray to coat the wrap and help keep more heat in the pipes and keep less debris/chemicals from absorbing into the material.
They also said that stainless steel or coated headers will of course be more resistant to any corrosion or rust than mild steel or uncoated pipes.

Hope this helps.

-Lukas

Get notified of new replies

To DEI Titanium Exhaust Wrap - GROUP BUY INTEREST CHECK

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DEI Titanium Exhaust Wrap - GROUP BUY INTEREST CHECK