C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Which wire is the coolent fan switch on 85?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 12:19 AM
81 Sport Coupe
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which wire is the coolent fan switch on 85?

On the passenger side engine of my 85 their is the coolant fan temp switch, and the knock sensor. The problem I am having is both wires were cut by previous owner. What color wire is suppose to go to the temp switch and what color to the knock sensor? so far I can only find a green wire coming out of the starter harness. I also went on chevythunder and looked at the ecm pinouts to try to trace the wires but it's not specific as to what the goes where. also does anyone know what EST and CST are?
Old 02-05-2016, 05:08 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

EST - electronic spark timing - CST is central standard time , however, CTS is coolant temperature sensor. (from my 85) - the coolant temp sensor is a green wire, and the best I can tell, the knock sensor is blue.

BTW, FWIW, and FYI, in the front of the FSM is a list of abbreviations used within that manual.

Last edited by Joe C; 02-05-2016 at 06:27 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:06 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Joe's correct on the colors but on an '85 the "knock sensor" isn't pinned directly to the ECM. The blue wire is to the ESCM (Electronic Spark Control Module) that's mounted on the blower housing, easily seen with hood up. The ESCM is pinned to the ECM.

OP - I didn't check the chevythunder but maybe I'd look for B7 to the ECM from the ESC. Maybe your EST is a "typo" and you intended ESC? Don't know. The cooling fan switch you mention isn't pinned to the ECM either so there's little to be learned I guess from the ECM pin-outs.

Do you have an FSM?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 02-05-2016 at 08:24 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Which wire is the coolent fan switch on 85?

Quick Reply: Which wire is the coolent fan switch on 85?