C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 12:46 AM
jose7740
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Antenna

:crazy2I was toying with the idea of cutting my antenna with a tubing cutter to a desired height and then put a rubber cap on the end, has anybody done that before? Will the antenna retract all the way down and raise again? It is a 1984 model by the way
Old 02-05-2016, 07:38 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

I would just fix it right. You can buy a new mast fairly cheap!
Old 02-05-2016, 07:44 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

the length of the antenna is tuned for optimal reception. w/ antfarmer - if broken, fix it right -
Old 02-05-2016, 04:27 PM
jose7740
Racer

I just don't like the look of the fully extended antenna, maybe will install a manual one or install a toggle switch to raise it as much as I like, there is nothing wrong with the antenna right now by the way.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:17 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by jose7740
I just don't like the look of the fully extended antenna, maybe will install a manual one or install a toggle switch to raise it as much as I like, there is nothing wrong with the antenna right now by the way.
The antenna is there for sound not looks. It goes down when parked and not sure how it could bother you when driveing. Eye's on the road.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:24 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

I just don't like the look of the fully extended antenna. Maybe will install a manual one or install a toggle switch to raise it as much as I like. There is nothing wrong with the antenna right now by the way.
I agree with you 1000%! In my area, there's no problem with poor reception if I don't have my antenna up all the way. Reception is just fine with my antenna up about a foot. If I'm playing CD's, I leave the antenna down. If I'm traveling in an area with poor reception, I put my antenna up higher. And when I park the car, I usually leave my antenna right where it is. No up-down-up-down-up-down ad nauseum to wear out my antenna motor! If I've parked the car, then decided to lower my antenna, I just flip the switch and the antenna goes down. The ignition does not need to be on. It's all my choice!

A simple switch on the orange wire at the antenna relay does the job.
Switch off - The antenna stops and stays where it is.
Switch on - It's just like original: automatic up - down.
I put my switch in the console recess, so it's handy.

It only requires one wire from the antenna relay to the switch. The other side of the switch would go to the orange wire for the console "glove box" lamp. Both the orange "glove box" and the orange antenna wires go to the CTSY/CLK fuse. Seal off the other cut wire at the antenna relay so you don't get a short. Use good solder and insulation procedures to assure reliability!

Last edited by Hot Rod Roy; 02-06-2016 at 03:00 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:30 PM
jose7740
Racer

Yes, that will be my next project as soon as the snow is gone.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:13 PM
jose7740
Racer

I did this morning the switch install and it works good, I hear a clicking or ticking noise when I turn the ignition key on, not sure if it matters.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:54 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

I did this morning the switch install and it works good, I hear a clicking or ticking noise when I turn the ignition key on, not sure if it matters.
Good job
Old 02-14-2016, 01:09 AM
jose7740
Racer

Thank you
Old 02-14-2016, 06:25 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
I agree with you 1000%! In my area, there's no problem with poor reception if I don't have my antenna up all the way. Reception is just fine with my antenna up about a foot. If I'm playing CD's, I leave the antenna down. If I'm traveling in an area with poor reception, I put my antenna up higher. And when I park the car, I usually leave my antenna right where it is. No up-down-up-down-up-down ad nauseum to wear out my antenna motor! If I've parked the car, then decided to lower my antenna, I just flip the switch and the antenna goes down. The ignition does not need to be on. It's all my choice!

A simple switch on the orange wire at the antenna relay does the job.
Switch off - The antenna stops and stays where it is.
Switch on - It's just like original: automatic up - down.
I put my switch in the console recess, so it's handy.

It only requires one wire from the antenna relay to the switch. The other side of the switch would go to the orange wire for the console "glove box" lamp. Both the orange "glove box" and the orange antenna wires go to the CTSY/CLK fuse. Seal off the other cut wire at the antenna relay so you don't get a short. Use good solder and insulation procedures to assure reliability!

I just unplugged mine since I don't listen to the radio just mp3's.

But when the weather warms up I'm going to rig a switch up like that or let the android unit control it.

Get notified of new replies

To Antenna

Quick Reply: Antenna