C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fuel Pump went out (Input)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 04:55 AM
Brian Felts
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Pump went out (Input)

Hey all the fuel pump died in my 88 Vette that crap only lasted 28 years Can you give me some input on what is the better pump to get etc. its been years since I had to change one.

Thanks
Brian Felts
Old 02-05-2016, 06:58 AM
jts90vette
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist

I'd go with the AC Delco...........very easy job to do, don't reuse the original strainer. Hardest part of the job is getting the fuel lines lose next to the filler neck. Google it, lots of info on this job is available.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:33 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Easyest pump ever done! Just make sure you use the right submersible hose to connectic it to the pump. Good time to clean the tank. But of course the tank is most likely filled. Lol change the fuel filter while it is off so you do not get a bath. The fuel filter will be harder!
Old 02-05-2016, 07:43 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Get a complete kit from Racetronix and bypass that silly damper with the fuel hose they give you. It comes so complete you don't have to go to the hardware store. All the new bolts and gaskets and most everything you need except the "Liquid Wrench" to get the old screws off.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:46 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Branding isn't maybe as important as it once was. ACD is likely just rebranded product as many others. You need to decide if you're going to retain the dampener that connects the pump to the tree or replace it with hose.

If hose, you might want to be sure to use "fuel submersible" product. It generally comes with a price but a friend told me he purchased a "cut to length" of 6" recently. I've no idea. He's not local.

The fuel strainer certainly needs a change also. With as wide a throat as the C4 tank has there's no reason to not maybe inspect and clean maybe making sure the baffle/deflector is secured visually. I wouldn't try a physical confirmation. Visibly should do.

Buy local always. Maybe use some "price matching" leverage or warranty comparisons. There's likely "lifetime" for no fees.

Keep fuel in the tank after replacement and maybe this one will be long lived also.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:02 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Had good luck with Delhpi and Carter electric pumps (course they could both be made by Cheng shing who knows anymore probably the same as NAPA )
Old 02-05-2016, 08:03 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Branding isn't maybe as important as it once was. ACD is likely just rebranded product as many others. You need to decide if you're going to retain the dampener that connects the pump to the tree or replace it with hose.

Buy local always. Maybe use some "price matching" leverage or warranty comparisons. There's likely "lifetime" for no fees.

Keep fuel in the tank after replacement and maybe this one will be long lived also.
Just because they really are rebranded doesn't mean the spec follows. Same factory but could be different inside but looks the same.

Unless local offers the same item for less money, why?

Doesn't matter either empty or full. Same difference
Old 02-05-2016, 08:35 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by aklim
Just because they really are rebranded doesn't mean the spec follows. Same factory but could be different inside but looks the same.

Unless local offers the same item for less money, why?

Doesn't matter either empty or full. Same difference
I didn't argue or mention SPECS - an OE "unmodified" install I believe your suggestion is "overkill" - likely not as well warrantied either.

Always LOCAL - WHY? - If you don't get it you just "DON"T GET IT".

I never mentioned empty or full. WTF?

If you didn't understand "KEEP FUEL IN TANK" I'm sure you didn't get it. The "fuel pump" is intended to pump fuel not AIR, the fuel is a coolant and lubricant.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:32 AM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Get a complete kit from Racetronix and bypass that silly damper with the fuel hose they give you. It comes so complete you don't have to go to the hardware store. All the new bolts and gaskets and most everything you need except the "Liquid Wrench" to get the old screws off.
Totally agree on Racetronix. I think I bought the 225gph unit. Take your shop vac and clean up the area real good before you start removing and screws on top. I found lots of leaves, tiny rocks, and road dust.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:52 AM
Red 91
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Overkillexpertitus? if you dont buget 15000 to 20000 then you need to get your injectors cleaned.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:08 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

It takes very little effort to find design specifications for nearly every brand sold by "reputable" resellers. There's likely more of the Racetronix counterfeit product out there than maybe any other. Very likely maybe. They might even change vendors from time to time just attempting to maybe become a bit more profitable.

I'd really rather chance a local purchase and then if it was a "performance" based purchase see that it actually performs as advertised. Clean B+ voltage to the pump might eliminate all of the issues one might think exists with "off the shelf" local buys.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:26 PM
RWDsmoke
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

The Racetronix pump wiring kits are a good thing too. I thought my pump had failed and found that the in tank wiring was failing. Caused an intermittent no start. Now key on my pump sounds more like an indy car instead of the diesel truck sound it had before.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:20 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I didn't argue or mention SPECS - an OE "unmodified" install I believe your suggestion is "overkill" - likely not as well warrantied either.

Always LOCAL - WHY? - If you don't get it you just "DON"T GET IT".

I never mentioned empty or full. WTF?

If you didn't understand "KEEP FUEL IN TANK" I'm sure you didn't get it. The "fuel pump" is intended to pump fuel not AIR, the fuel is a coolant and lubricant.
In every way, shape or form, I agree. One great thing about the kit that I suggested. Even without the wiring modification it doesn't require that you run back and forth to the hardware store. SS bolts, gasket, fuel resistant hose and it even gets rid of the pulsator. THAT was the main reason my friend went back in. Got pump, ordered the gasket (it was wrong, BTW and parts house fault), re-used the dampner and it leaked. I just did it all one day in the garage with simple tools and no running back and forth.

You are correct. I don't get it. I buy a product and whomever has the best price for that item (no substitutes or prostitutes), I get. If you can't compete, it isn't my problem to prop you up. Sink or swim.

No you didn't. I'm saying that the only reason to fill up fuel is that you are on empty.

OMG! That old wife's tale is still going on. In and of itself, it makes perfect sense. At least till you look at the larger picture. So please, help me, as your phrase goes "get it".

1. If the fuel ends, the engine dies in seconds and the pump stop
2. Something generating enough heat like you suggest that needs coolant and lubrication would be something I would NOT want in a tank with fuel fumes.
3. If it passes heat to the tank, it could burn up and take me and the tank with it.

But hey, don't take my word for it. Tom400CFI has done a test with a fuel pump outside of the tank for over 8 minutes and no failure. Video
. If you can run the pump for more than 8 minutes with no fuel, you probably hooked up your pump to the battery.

Entire thread is HERE.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:25 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by HAD2HAV2
Totally agree on Racetronix. I think I bought the 225gph unit. Take your shop vac and clean up the area real good before you start removing and screws on top. I found lots of leaves, tiny rocks, and road dust.
Smaller unit is fine for him. Just debating between running the wire kit or not. It is nice to have everything there and not have to make trips to the store for bolts, gaskets, beer. If I came to your house to fix this and you don't have the parts, you go get them while I drink beer.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:32 PM
aklim
Team Owner

It takes very little effort to find design specifications for nearly every brand sold by "reputable" resellers. There's likely more of the Racetronix counterfeit product out there than maybe any other. Very likely maybe. They might even change vendors from time to time just attempting to maybe become a bit more profitable.

I'd really rather chance a local purchase and then if it was a "performance" based purchase see that it actually performs as advertised. Clean B+ voltage to the pump might eliminate all of the issues one might think exists with "off the shelf" local buys.
I'm not sure how may or how bad the situation is. My experience with the local yokek is that they have no clue on what they are selling other than reading the literature and sometimes, not even that. In truth, if you want to compare say Jegs or Summit to the local shop, the local guy usually, not always seems to be clueless. At least that's my experience unless it is a speed shop and that is what they produce. And then their is their attempt to sell you a "local" solution, aka "I have it on hand and it is better than what you wanted". Funny how that recommendation is based on what I have in stock.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:33 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RWDsmoke
The Racetronix pump wiring kits are a good thing too. I thought my pump had failed and found that the in tank wiring was failing. Caused an intermittent no start. Now key on my pump sounds more like an indy car instead of the diesel truck sound it had before.
Maybe you should have put gas instead of diesel?
Old 02-05-2016, 04:51 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Red 91
Overkillexpertitus? if you dont buget 15000 to 20000 then you need to get your injectors cleaned.
Not sure how budget is related to the cleaning of injectors or in this case the fuel pump. Can I assume it is senseless drivel or should I be trying to ask for clarification?

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Pump went out (Input)

Old 02-07-2016, 07:24 AM
Brian Felts
Advanced

I ordered the Racetronix kit yesterday. Thanks to all!
Old 02-07-2016, 09:32 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Brian Felts
I ordered the Racetronix kit yesterday. Thanks to all!
Which one? Either get the SMALL one or BIG one and it will be fine.

If you paid more, cancel it and get it from LPE. If not, be happy either way. Now that you saved time running around, you can go to the liquor store and get a six pack of your favorite beverage as long as you don't smoke while working.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:58 AM
Brian Felts
Advanced

I got the big one directly from Racetronix and it was only $115.00 shipped. I was real happy with that, don't have any real mods but I figured it would keep me from needing a bigger on in the future.

Thanks again!!

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump went out (Input)