C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Gas pedal mount

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 04:46 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Gas pedal mount

I began today to install an aluminum gas pedal mount for my 1993 Ruby, which I use for track days. As you know, the stock mount is plastic, and does not hold up well under the stress of heel and toe shifting.

Upon removing the stock pedal assembly (shown in photos below), I notice that it has an angled piece attached to the outside of the mount. The right side of the angle faces against the mount, with two bolt holes. The section perpendicular to the mount fits against the bottom center of the pedal lever (below the pivot pin) and acts as a stop, possibly to prevent excess pull on the throttle cable.

My aftermarket aluminum mount has no such stop.

Is the lack of a stop a problem? Is the throttle cable protected from excess pull on the opposite end?

Or might my extra cable travel translate into higher / better throttle performance?

Advice / info will be much appreciated.

Last edited by emptnest; 02-06-2016 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:39 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

You won't get any better throttle opening that is for sure. I don't think it will be a problem. Mine hits the floor so that stops it. I keep a spare stock assembly with me when I'm at the track or at an auto-x.

FYI, looking to do Track Night in America on June the 8th at PIRC. Doing the Great Lakes Muscle Car Challenge at PIRC the weekend before that as well.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:17 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

I have an aluminum pedal mount and the pedal hits the carpet before the throttle body gets completely open (and hits the stop).
Old 02-07-2016, 09:12 AM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 93Rubie
You won't get any better throttle opening that is for sure. I don't think it will be a problem. Mine hits the floor so that stops it. I keep a spare stock assembly with me when I'm at the track or at an auto-x.

FYI, looking to do Track Night in America on June the 8th at PIRC. Doing the Great Lakes Muscle Car Challenge at PIRC the weekend before that as well.
Hey Rubie. I always appreciate your advice.

Since my replacement effort is preventive, I will save my stock unit as a spare. Hopefully, with the upgraded mount, I'll never need to change it, but the best way to ensure that is to be prepared....

My first event this year will be PDE at PIRC on Sat April 16.

I might see you at Track Nite June 8. Still considering that one. Do they run different skill groups? I ran with them once last year on the first night that the new track was opened. If they ran groups, I was downgraded to novice. It was a zoo.

A combination of heavy rain, green track, and untrained rookies made for a night when the goal was simply to stay in one piece. I think there were 35 cars on track together, and at least 7 of them went off track over 3 sessions. Every session was interrupted. Some guy in a a new Viper did a 360 right in front of me in the south straight at the new paddock. That straight has a dip in it, and there was a stream of water flowing over it. He bounced both the front and rear of that Viper off the wall. I doubt that he drove it home.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:13 AM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
I have an aluminum pedal mount and the pedal hits the carpet before the throttle body gets completely open (and hits the stop).
Thanks. That seems to be the norm. I will stop fretting over it.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:21 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Mine broke at an autox 150 miles away before it became a trailer car. I had to operate the throttle by using the cable by hand and it hurt after a while. I now carry a spare.

Last edited by kimmer; 02-07-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:04 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

who supplied the aftermarket aluminum pedal mount?
Old 02-07-2016, 07:16 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by emptnest
Hey Rubie. I always appreciate your advice.

Since my replacement effort is preventive, I will save my stock unit as a spare. Hopefully, with the upgraded mount, I'll never need to change it, but the best way to ensure that is to be prepared....

My first event this year will be PDE at PIRC on Sat April 16.

I might see you at Track Nite June 8. Still considering that one. Do they run different skill groups? I ran with them once last year on the first night that the new track was opened. If they ran groups, I was downgraded to novice. It was a zoo.

A combination of heavy rain, green track, and untrained rookies made for a night when the goal was simply to stay in one piece. I think there were 35 cars on track together, and at least 7 of them went off track over 3 sessions. Every session was interrupted. Some guy in a a new Viper did a 360 right in front of me in the south straight at the new paddock. That straight has a dip in it, and there was a stream of water flowing over it. He bounced both the front and rear of that Viper off the wall. I doubt that he drove it home.
Yes, Track Night in America runs different level groups. I did novice since I had not been on that track before. By the end of the night my buddies (much more experience) where saying I needed to run advanced run group. So I expect to be in that one or intermediate at worst. I won't run Novice again...too many idiots.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:57 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mtwoolford
who supplied the aftermarket aluminum pedal mount?

They are hard to find. Someone use to sell them here on the forum but he disappeared a few years ago.

I bought my mount used from a fellow forum member who crashed, totaled, and parted out his C4 track car. He even included a spare stock pedal assembly. Thanks Shrek!
The following users liked this post:
Shrek (02-08-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 08:05 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kimmer
Mine broke at an autox 150 miles away before it became a trailer car. I had to operate the throttle by using the cable by hand and it hurt after a while. I now carry a spare.
Ouch. A breakdown at the track is no fun. My Opti crapped out on the first morning of a 2 day track weekend in Nov. Bummer. But at least I trailer mine, so once I loaded up, I was able to drive home in comfort.

Can't even imagine driving 150 miles with hand controlled throttle cable. That's improvising.

Last edited by emptnest; 02-07-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:14 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

installation went well. Pedal does not bottom out on the floor, and throttle travel is unchanged. It's all good.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:14 AM
Shrek
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by emptnest
They are hard to find. Someone use to sell them here on the forum but he disappeared a few years ago.
Mike Bohannan (vettmike) was the original designer.
Mike passed away several years ago and i've not seen another mount offered since then.

Here's the original thread

Get notified of new replies

To Gas pedal mount

Quick Reply: Gas pedal mount