C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

3 pink nubs inside '93 lumbar pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 12:54 AM
biodude
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3 pink nubs inside '93 lumbar pump

Hey everyone

I was working on my lumbar support pump diaphram, and noticed a pink nub inside the assembly. Only one of them was undamaged, the other one was in half and the 3rd one was missing. Someone had taken the pump apart before, and put it back together quickly without actually solving the problem.

Anyways, I fixed the diaphragm using a rubber glove and it holds suction, but it seems I'm going to need new nubs. Has anyone ever encountered this/ have a solution? thanks

Old 02-07-2016, 01:13 AM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

I have repaired several bladder pumps (diaphragms), but have not seen the 'nubs' you display. It has been several years since I repaired the pump, but I don't remember the pump housing being large enough to contain those 'nubs'.

I know using a rubber glove as source material to replace the diaphragm has been recommended, but I
have found that using a bicycle inner tube as a source material to be much more durable. Hope the glove solves your problem.

Last edited by don hall; 02-07-2016 at 01:23 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:18 AM
biodude
Advanced

Originally Posted by seabright
I have repaired several bladder pumps, but have not
seen the 'nubs' you display. It has been several years since I repaired the pump, but I don't remember the pump housing being large enough to contain those 'nubs'.

I know using a rubber glove as source material to replace the diaphragm has been recommended, but I
have found that using a bicycle inner tube to be much more durable. Hope the glove solves your problem.
The nubs go into the bottom layer of the assembly, where the tubes lead out from, at least I'm pretty sure. From what I can see, they point downward into the tubes,the little lip on the plastic suggests this- though I could be totally wrong here. I'm going to bed, but will post more pictures tomorrow of it taken apart
Old 02-07-2016, 01:33 AM
don hall
Safety Car

Originally Posted by biodude
The nubs go into the bottom layer of the assembly......
OK.... I am not familiar with the bottom layer of the pump assembly. Replacing the diaphragms only required access to the pump housing, so the nubs are new to me.

You might contact Corvette salvage yards, or eBay, for replacement pumps. I would imagine the nubs would only be sold as part of the pump assembly, and not as individual components.

Last edited by don hall; 02-07-2016 at 01:35 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:49 PM
biodude
Advanced

I wound up gluing the one that was in half back together, and put it back in. Both sides seem to be working fine now, I'm going to cnc mill out new nubs for the lumbar controls since im missing a bunch of them. We'll see how long things hold up
Old 02-07-2016, 10:53 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

They look like the glue tips from when I was a kid.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:16 AM
don hall
Safety Car

I don't recognize the assembly in the photo. The bladder controls are positioned on top of the console. The pump motor and tubing are located under the seat.
Where is this unit located that you present in the photo?

These are the lumbar bladder components as displayed by Corvette parts stores for the years 1984-1993:

Last edited by don hall; 02-08-2016 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:24 AM
biodude
Advanced

I don't recognize the assembly in the photo. The bladder controls are positioned on top of the console. The pump motor and tubing are located under the seat.
Where is this unit located that you present in the photo?

These are the lumbar bladder components as displayed by Corvette parts stores for the years 1984-1993:

The pictures I posted are from the pump diaphragm located in the pump motor assembly under the seat.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:39 AM
don hall
Safety Car

This is the bladder air pump:

I'm not familiar with the assembly/motor circled in your photo. Notice the air tubes attached to 'my' air pump
photo. No air tubes are attached to the assembly in the circled photo.

Last edited by don hall; 02-08-2016 at 12:41 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:51 AM
don hall
Safety Car

This is a better photo of 'your' bladder pump. The tubes are clearly shown. My pump repair experience was on my '93, the same year as yours, but my pump was located directly under the seat, not where yours is circled:

Last edited by don hall; 02-08-2016 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:51 AM
biodude
Advanced

This is the bladder air pump:

I'm not familiar with the assembly/motor circled in your photo. Notice the air tubes attached to 'my' air pump
photo. No air tubes are attached to the assembly in the circled photo.
The picture I posted wasn't the best/kinda dark but there were tubes. Your pic is was what I was showing. When you take those 4 long screws out to replace the diaphragm with a rubber glove/ inner tube, there is another section that has a screw in the center. Under that is where the tubes attach, and in each tube is a little pink rubber tip. I doubt you can buy them without buying the whole assembly though.

I managed to fix the one that was broken, though I was looking for a replacement without having to buy the entire pump.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:57 AM
don hall
Safety Car

...I managed to fix the one that was broken, though I was looking for a replacement without having to buy the entire pump.
Nice fix..... my apologies for confusing the issue
Old 02-08-2016, 01:08 AM
biodude
Advanced

Nice fix..... my apologies for confusing the issue
Ah its all good, I should have been a little more clear in the first post
Hoping my fix will last a while!
Old 02-08-2016, 01:28 AM
don hall
Safety Car

If the passenger seat pump diaphragm has not been replaced, it is over-due. You might apply some preventive maintenance, and replace that diaphragm now.

I suggested using a bicycle/scooter inner tube (not a tube from a ten-speed) only due to the durability (thickness) factor of the inner tube over a rubber glove. No need to purchase new, as I'm sure any bike shop will give you a punctured tube for free.

Don't know how you fashioned the replacement diaphragm, unless you have a punch set to cut discs.
Sets are available from about $10 - $20 from multiple stores. Or, you might just find one to cut the 1 ½" circle (?) needed for the diaphragm.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:16 AM
biodude
Advanced

If the passenger seat pump diaphragm has not been replaced, it is over-due. You might apply some preventive maintenance, and replace that diaphragm now.

I suggested using a bicycle/scooter inner tube (not a tube from a ten-speed) only due to the durability (thickness) factor of the inner tube over a rubber glove. No need to purchase new, as I'm sure any bike shop will give you a punctured tube for free.

Don't know how you fashioned the replacement diaphragm, unless you have a punch set to cut discs.
Sets are available from about $10 - $20 from multiple stores. Or, you might just find one to cut the 1 ½" circle (?) needed for the diaphragm.
I replaced both diaphragms using a thick rubber glove that I cut apart

Get notified of new replies

To 3 pink nubs inside '93 lumbar pump

Quick Reply: 3 pink nubs inside '93 lumbar pump