C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

L98 Oil Cooler O-ring

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 03:29 PM
jmartynuska
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L98 Oil Cooler O-ring

I've read a few places on the 'net claiming the o-ring between the block and oil cooler is essentially the same as the o-ring on an oil filter.

I have a lot of oil leaking from the engine's left side onto the exhaust. Previously replaced the oil pressure sensor. I've read about the tendency for the china wall to leak. It does look like I have a leak there, but the engine's left side is very wet, much more than the right side and all around the cooler and temp sensor.

Today I replaced the oil temperature sensor using thread sealant and am in the process of replacing the oil cooler o-ring.

Trying to use an o-ring from a new oil filter, which does fit the housing groove. Reinstalling the cooler, I can not feel the oil cooler engage the studs that keep it from rotating. It seems the oil filter o-ring is taller than the o-ring I removed from the cooler. I don't place much value in using the old o-ring as a sample. The original o-ring sits flush with the top of the housing groove, it seems the oil cooler may be "bottoming" out against the block, probably leaking.

Does anyone have any real world experience using an oil filter o-ring in this application and whether it does indeed work? Do I need to bite the bullet and go to the GM part?

Thanks for reading!

Jeff
Old 02-13-2016, 09:28 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,947 Posts

I got the O-ring off an AC Delco filter that I had lying around waiting for the oil change but that was in a pinch. I had a leak later so I went to GM and got the right gasket. That was about a year ago so.....

What is the reason you don't want to get it from GM? It wasn't expensive
Old 02-13-2016, 09:39 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,263 Likes on 1,447 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
I got the O-ring off an AC Delco filter that I had lying around waiting for the oil change but that was in a pinch. I had a leak later so I went to GM and got the right gasket. That was about a year ago so.....

What is the reason you don't want to get it from GM? It wasn't expensive
i miss jenna.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:01 AM
jmartynuska
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply!

I already had an oil filter in the garage...only reason I haven't gone to GM. If the free o-ring works

Going rate for the GM part is $21.50; in the end sounds like money well spent. I'm guessing no leak since you installed the GM part?
Old 02-15-2016, 12:18 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jmartynuska
Thanks for the reply!

I already had an oil filter in the garage...only reason I haven't gone to GM. If the free o-ring works

Going rate for the GM part is $21.50; in the end sounds like money well spent. I'm guessing no leak since you installed the GM part?
No leaks YET. Are you sure the oil filter O-ring is taller? In either case, I was using an old PF25 filter O-ring so YMMV if you used a PF454 which is the replacement.

Why don't we try this. Reinstall the original O-ring and see whether it fits or not. Then use the oil filter ring and see what gives. It could be something stuck in there or someone put in a 2nd O-ring by mistake.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:19 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
i miss jenna.
Back for a limited time.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:23 PM
hgoodwiniii
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Back for a limited time.
Fram has one that is listed for a Nissan but it fits c4. They include it in the c4 rubber oil pan gasket set; The part number is 72493. I found one for like $8
Old 02-16-2016, 09:28 PM
Bob86ZZ4
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not completely remove the oil warmer? They really don't cool your oil you know. If you have a hot oil problem after removing the oil warmer then put in a proper oil cooler.

Get notified of new replies

To L98 Oil Cooler O-ring

Quick Reply: L98 Oil Cooler O-ring