C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Car Horn Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 03:59 PM
MrHappy66
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Horn Troubleshooting

So I recently bought an '89 coupe and I noticed the horn doesn't work. I press the button and nothing happens. I don't hear a relay click but maybe i'm deaf. So I continued my troubleshooting but I can't figure out why the horn button don't work. I tried the fuse panel on the passenger side of the car, checked the LCD and Theft fuses and they were still good.

Last night, I checked up on the horns themselves, unplugged the wires and reconnected them. I got back inside the car and once I pulled the key out of the ignition and stepped out, the factory alarm system went off(never happened before) and I didn't know how to disarm. Thankfully it stopped but supposedly when you leave the car, the horns are supposed to toot to let you know the car is armed right? because my vette doesn't.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:35 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by MrHappy66
So I recently bought an '89 coupe and I noticed the horn doesn't work. I press the button and nothing happens. I don't hear a relay click but maybe i'm deaf. So I continued my troubleshooting but I can't figure out why the horn button don't work. I tried the fuse panel on the passenger side of the car, checked the LCD and Theft fuses and they were still good.

Last night, I checked up on the horns themselves, unplugged the wires and reconnected them. I got back inside the car and once I pulled the key out of the ignition and stepped out, the factory alarm system went off(never happened before) and I didn't know how to disarm. Thankfully it stopped but supposedly when you leave the car, the horns are supposed to toot to let you know the car is armed right? because my vette doesn't.
Horns>> High & Low note. Be careful. Many Horns have GM part numbers. that are actually cheap Universal Horns.
un-plug your Horns run 12V to them Directly. if the horns are working. connect a volt meter on the horn connector. get a Co-partner to press the horn. check for 12V
the plastic twist lock inside the steering wheel gets brittle in age and splits. if so simply drill another half moon hole. to re-lock.

Last edited by THE 383 admiral; 02-24-2016 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:44 PM
MrHappy66
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know for sure the horns work. They kept blowing for 5 minutes last night. By any chance, could the relay have broken, fuse have blown, or the membrane in the steering column wear out??

How a far inside the steering column is that plastic piece?

Last edited by MrHappy66; 02-24-2016 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:50 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

I know for sure the horns work. They kept blowing for 5 minutes last night. By any chance, could the relay have broken, fuse have blown, or the membrane in the steering column wear out??

the plastic lock is just behind the wheel
Old 02-24-2016, 04:52 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

the plastic lock is just behind the wheel.

PS. touch the red lead to the lock plate.

Last edited by THE 383 admiral; 02-24-2016 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:57 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

MrHappy66. I have a 88. I pressed the horn button one morning going to work and no sound came out. Horn worked with the alarm. I pulled the steering wheel off and found the big spring that works the telescopic had rust built up on both ends. I sanded both ends to remove the rust and the horn worked. Never would have believed this could happen. The spring has a bend in it for the horn contact.

Last edited by HAD2HAV2; 02-24-2016 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:52 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by THE 383 admiral
the plastic lock is just behind the wheel.

PS. touch the red lead to the lock plate.
this picture is worth a 1000 words. thank you for supplying it.

that white plastic connector hAd a slot/notch in it and a turn and twist spring loaded metal contact horn wire connector.

the slot/notch on mine broke and the spring-loaded turn and twist horn wire connector would no longer stay connected. it would pop out.

anyways, that white plastic connector, behind the steering wheel is what you need.

i cant remember (sorry) if its part of the turn signal cancellation cam or what.

they were still available nos when i fixed mine in early 2012

btw. mine is a 93

Last edited by dizwiz24; 02-27-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:51 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

The part is a horn cancel cam. this one pictured is for a tilt column.
The telescopic colum has a different style horn cancel cam.

http://www.steeringcolumnservices.co...l-cam-tilt.php

Last edited by THE 383 admiral; 02-27-2016 at 01:05 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Car Horn Troubleshooting

Quick Reply: Car Horn Troubleshooting