C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 Rough ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 12:01 AM
Tibiron1
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 Rough ride

My 91 C4 rides rough, the control switch to change the performance of the ride doesn't work, cause it doesn't have the original shocks, Im trying to find out what is the best shock I can put on, and will this eliviate the problem with the rough ride, or is it something else I can change to get a smoother ride

Last edited by Tibiron1; 03-04-2016 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:49 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Tires and tire pressure
Old 03-04-2016, 04:09 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

What exactly is the question? Are you trying to return it to stock? If so, you need the FX3 shocks and actuators. After which, change the bushings to rubber. This will ensure your switch works again.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:46 PM
Tibiron1
Cruising

Originally Posted by aklim
What exactly is the question? Are you trying to return it to stock? If so, you need the FX3 shocks and actuators. After which, change the bushings to rubber. This will ensure your switch works again.
I wanted to know if there is some after market shocks I could get, that would work, if not I will buy the ones that originally came with the car...let me know what you think
Old 03-04-2016, 03:56 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tibiron1
I wanted to know if there is some after market shocks I could get, that would work, if not I will buy the ones that originally came with the car...let me know what you think
"Work" is a very difficult word to define. You can get aftermarket shocks that will "work" in that they fit and it can drive. I don't think you can get aftermarket ones that "work" in that the FX3 system will operate with it.

Bought my 91 back in 05 and removed the shocks that "work", basically cheap junk, bought new actuators, replaced the "Service Ride Control" bulb and put Bilsteins in the car. Now I have the Selective Ride Control. It gives me a softer ride when I set to touring and harsher in the other modes.

Funny you should ask. My right shock (Bilstein and NOT AC Delco) is leaking. I called Bilstein and they told me to send it home for fixing. If you buy it from GM, you get the AC Delco warranty. Buy it from Bilstein, you get lifetime. Was about to package it when I decided to check the driver side. It was reasonably dry and maybe a little damp, at worst. Called Bilstein and they weren't interested in speculating what may or may not be wrong with the "Good" shock. Told me to send both back for service and that would give a more even ride.

Tried to compress both shocks. The leaking one was very stiff and the good one did compress with proper tension. Either way, both are getting serviced at their expense.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:45 PM
Tibiron1
Cruising

Wow I really appreciate you answering my question, I only been a active member for 2 days and have gotten some great help, thanks a lot...is there a certain model number I should ask for when I order the Bilstein? and I know they are expensive, can you give me a figure on what I'm about to spend
Old 03-04-2016, 06:32 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

I have kyb's on my 87 and they ride great. But Im comparing this to my z51 86 that rode HORRIBLE. So Im not sure if its the softer suspension on my 87 convertible that makes it ride so well or if the kyb shocks have anything to do with it or not. My 87 handles great whatever the deal is.
The following users liked this post:
Tibiron1 (03-04-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 06:44 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

A C4 is not luxury car for the soft tushies. If your looking for a ride like Grandmas Buick then sell it and move on. That being said.... Worn or old shocks WILL ride like crap. 40-50K on a set is considered a full life ready for replacement. (Many opinions here) A cheap set of KYB's or other inexpensive brands will seem like the best ride ever when compared to worn out units. So don't think that the good more expensive shocks will not be comfortable or only for the track. NOT SO.

C4 shock selections are limited these days and finding the OEM replacements for your model that adjust from the console are made of unobtainium. The Bilstein Sport is your best bet for all around driving performance on the street and hwy. If your short on cash then the KYB's are easy to find at great price. They do have horrible hwy performance IMHO.

Mismatched tires and TP can also cause for a rough ride. But that depends on what your butt-o-meter tells you. I'm one that wants to feel the road and drive the car. So my 86 and 04 have Bilstein Sports. And the wive has no problem with quality of the ride in either car.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:14 PM
Tibiron1
Cruising

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
A C4 is not luxury car for the soft tushies. If your looking for a ride like Grandmas Buick then sell it and move on. That being said.... Worn or old shocks WILL ride like crap. 40-50K on a set is considered a full life ready for replacement. (Many opinions here) A cheap set of KYB's or other inexpensive brands will seem like the best ride ever when compared to worn out units. So don't think that the good more expensive shocks will not be comfortable or only for the track. NOT SO.

C4 shock selections are limited these days and finding the OEM replacements for your model that adjust from the console are made of unobtainium. The Bilstein Sport is your best bet for all around driving performance on the street and hwy. If your short on cash then the KYB's are easy to find at great price. They do have horrible hwy performance IMHO.

Mismatched tires and TP can also cause for a rough ride. But that depends on what your butt-o-meter tells you. I'm one that wants to feel the road and drive the car. So my 86 and 04 have Bilstein Sports. And the wive has no problem with quality of the ride in either car.

Thanks a lot really appreciate the help, I think I'm gonna go with the Bilstein Sports, this forum is great!!
Old 03-04-2016, 10:53 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Wow I really appreciate you answering my question, I only been a active member for 2 days and have gotten some great help, thanks a lot...is there a certain model number I should ask for when I order the Bilstein? and I know they are expensive, can you give me a figure on what I'm about to spend
Shox.com: 0113. Bilstein Sport shocks 1989 - 1991 Selective Ride, adjustable, set of 4 BA5-7000 BA5-7001 781.00

eshocks.com: about $216 per. They list it under ZR1
Old 03-04-2016, 10:58 PM
aklim
Team Owner

The FX3 shocks will allow you to switch between modes. When you want it stiffer, you can. Also they can be revalved if you don't like them. Further, in my case, I had a leaking one after 10 years and Bilstein is willing to rebuild both the leaking one and the non leaking one just so I can get a more even ride.

How so? I just got them listed on 2 sites. Why would anyone buy the OEM ones from AC Delco? Those come with GM warranty. Aftermarket Bilstein ones made for the car come with lifetime warranty. Even against wear and tear
The following users liked this post:
JrRifleCoach (03-05-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 11:04 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Thanks a lot really appreciate the help, I think I'm gonna go with the Bilstein Sports, this forum is great!!
So what are you doing with your FX3 stuff since you can't make it work with any of the non FX3 shocks?

If the PO, aka (usually) worthless scumbag that screwed up the car removed them, get the sport shocks. Those are covered by lifetime warranty. If you still have them and they are working, I'd get the FX3 ones. They cost more but you can decide on a softer ride over bumpy crap or if you are pushing it, stiffer ride.

If you decide to go with the cheaper Bilsteins, I'd sell the FX3 parts and make some money to cover the cost of new shocks. Besides, it's not like others cannot use them. I bought a few extra just in case when I found the PO removed the actuators so he could cheap out on the crap shocks.

Last edited by aklim; 03-04-2016 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:44 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by aklim
The FX3 shocks will allow you to switch between modes. When you want it stiffer, you can. Also they can be revalved if you don't like them. Further, in my case, I had a leaking one after 10 years and Bilstein is willing to rebuild both the leaking one and the non leaking one just so I can get a more even ride.
Sorry, I heard that the FX3's were no longer available and the rebuild was like 500 per corner!
Bad info source...My bad
Old 03-05-2016, 12:26 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Sorry, I heard that the FX3's were no longer available and the rebuild was like 500 per corner!
Bad info source...My bad
I suspect it is true IF you went to GM. HERE is their list of services

Like I said, GM gives maybe a 1 year (IIRC) warranty. That is the difference between buying from one of their factory suppliers aftermarket (lifetime) vs buying through GM

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Rough ride

Quick Reply: C4 Rough ride