C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

starter solenoid Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 04:17 PM
OlrustysGhost
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default starter solenoid Issue

Next problem.. Car starts sometimes with no problem. The other times there is just click. I am assuming that the solenoid is wore out. The question would be where is it and how hard would it be to change? Do I have to change starter to fix it ?
Old 03-26-2016, 04:21 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by OlrustysGhost
Next problem.. Car starts sometimes with no problem. The other times there is just click. I am assuming that the solenoid is wore out. The question would be where is it and how hard would it be to change? Do I have to change starter to fix it ?
What year is this car - there's different OE/GM styles and then maybe it's already had a starter replaced so who knows. There's lots to confirm before you just assume solenoid. Year of car matters!! Standard exhaust manifolds or headers? Is this a "hot start" issue or all the time? AT or MT?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-26-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:24 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Might just be a bad or cruddy battery cable.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:29 AM
OlrustysGhost
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Might just be a bad or cruddy battery cable.
It is a Automatic. 1987 stock exhaust
Battery is good, connection is tight. Engine cold or hot, doesn't matter. It may start time after time, and then click. Leave it alone a minute then it will start
Old 03-27-2016, 11:40 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by OlrustysGhost
It is a Automatic. 1987 stock exhaust
Battery is good, connection is tight. Engine cold or hot, doesn't matter. It may start time after time, and then click. Leave it alone a minute then it will start
Connections being "tight" doesn't mean the cables or the connections are good. Do you have the FSM to confirm the related terminations?

'87 if still original would be the older Delco-Remy build, '88 was the first year for the compact 'denso.

If it's an original I'd service it - if it's been replaced previously, it may require a coin toss.

Use these OE/GM #'s as a reference when searching for parts. I'd suggest shopping "local" BUT there are a couple very reliable vendors that can help you with parts.

Name:  '87 STARTER.png
Views: 116
Size:  35.7 KB

Shopping on-line you'll need to know likely that it's a 10MT, CW and 9 tooth pinion I believe.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-27-2016 at 12:45 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To starter solenoid Issue

Quick Reply: starter solenoid Issue