C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Is it possible to legally put long tube headers in CA ? nt.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 03:44 PM
keekster
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible to legally put long tube headers in CA ? nt.

Nt.
Old 09-04-2002, 04:54 PM
ZAD54
Drifting

Default Re: Is it possible to legally put long tube headers in CA ? nt. (keekster)

I think the TPIS headers have provisions for the EGR system so I would say yes, but that would just be a guess. Look at their webpage and see if the long tube headers have a C.A.F.E. number. IF they do you should be good to go. :cheers:

[Modified by ZAD54, 2:54 PM 9/4/2002]
Old 09-04-2002, 05:14 PM
thedevl
Racer

Default Re: Is it possible to legally put long tube headers in CA ? nt. (keekster)

The headers would have to have a C.A.R.B. number attached to them. They also would need documentation of an EO number (executive order). The next issue is that they may have an EO number for specifice vehicles and not yours, still no go if wrong application.
Example: I have a 96 LT4, bought shorties made by hooker. Called the state, got copies of the executive order, list included Impala, Firebird, camaro, etc. All LT1 motors in the list. Although there is a C.A.R.B. number on a plate attached to the headers, I can not use them because they are not approved for a 96 LT4 Corvette. Hooker and others do make headers approved for California, but you must make certain the approval is for your specific configuration and model.

Good Luck

THEDEVL (Flynn)
Old 09-04-2002, 05:58 PM
LT4Sam
Pro

Default Re: Is it possible to legally put long tube headers in CA ? nt. (thedevl)

AFIK there are no long tube headers with CARB numbers on them, which is one of the reasons I went with Hooker shorties. The other reason, and the one I think you're really asking about, is that shorties still allow you to retain your cats. There might be a way to make long tubes work with cats by moving them aft a bit, but there probably isn't enough room. I didn't know that the CARB number was no good for LT4's, but I doubt any smog monkey would figure that out in the course of his testing, let alone even acknowledge that there are aftermarket headers installed.

You might want to try the work around I used, shorties with straight pipes and O2 sims for the rear sensors. Come smog time just put your cats back in.

What is a blink-blink kit?

Sam
Old 09-04-2002, 07:34 PM
thedevl
Racer

Default Re: Is it possible to legally put long tube headers in CA ? nt. (LT4Sam)

LT4Sam

I have the Hooker shorties and have not installed them due to the application of the EO not including the LT4. You are probably right in the the smoggers would not know. I have the ceramic coated ones. They look great but I don't have the time right now. I am working in Scotts Valley during the week and am only home on the weekend. Maybe one day...
A blink blink kit staggers the turn signal lights on the rear so that the inside one comes on about half a second before the outside one. It kind of blinks in the direction you are turning. When the emergency flashers are on it is kind of cool to see both inside ones first and then the outside ones with the inside one and then they all go off. It is a minor mod that is reversible in about 30 minutes.

[Modified by thedevl, 3:38 PM 9/4/2002]
Old 09-04-2002, 07:35 PM
ZAD54
Drifting

Default Re: Is it possible to legally put long tube headers in CA ? nt. (thedevl)

Oops! I meant C.A.R.B., is this monday. I'm sure glad no one called me out on that mistake. :crazy:
Old 09-04-2002, 08:42 PM
keekster
Racer

thanks for the responses. How are shortys on performance ?

Old 09-04-2002, 11:27 PM
LT4Sam
Pro

I did the shorties and straight pipes at the same time, so I can't speak to their effectiveness with the cats in the car. Without the cats I noticed a very definite improvement in power, and about 10-15 hp increase as evidenced by my dyno run this morning. I hear that with the cats still installed they make little to no difference at all.

Where can I get a blink blink kit and for how much? Sounds kinda cool. You really working in Scotts Valley? As in 20 mins away from San Jose? All the way from Huntington Beach? Small world if you are, I was born in HB and live next to SV.

Sam
Old 09-05-2002, 12:01 PM
thedevl
Racer

Default Re: Is it possible to legally put long tube headers in CA ? nt. (LT4Sam)

LT4Sam,

Yea, I am working in Scotts Valley for the rest of the year. My company closed its facility in Orange last June and we have the old Watkins Johnson facility in SV that is still open. They are now trying to manufacture equipment in about 1/10 the space we had in Orange. Dumb decisions all around. Anyway, I am under contract till the end of December, at which time I will become unemployed and go back to Orange looking for work.
I will look when I get home this weekend to see where I got the blink blink kit. It was some guy in Texas I think. I'll have to look.

Later
THEDEVL (Flynn)
Old 09-06-2002, 05:29 PM
VetBoy89
Burning Brakes

Where can I get a blink blink kit and for how much? Sounds kinda cool...
http://www.ledss.com/blinkvetteinfo.htm

$59.50 :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To Is it possible to legally put long tube headers in CA ? nt.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to legally put long tube headers in CA ? nt.