C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Losing coolant up near the passenger side of the engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 08:42 AM
Bendeco
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Losing coolant up near the passenger side of the engine

Found a small amount of coolant on the floor below the passenger side near the firewall. Could it just be a hose or is that where the heater is.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:46 AM
jimmers
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bendeco
Found a small amount of coolant on the floor below the passenger side near the firewall. Could it just be a hose or is that where the heater is.
The heater core is under the passenger side dash. Is the carpet wet inside? Does the windshield fog up? Those are obvious signs the heater core is leaking.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:52 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmers
The heater core is under the passenger side dash. Is the carpet wet inside? Does the windshield fog up? Those are obvious signs the heater core is leaking.
- what year car are we talking about?
Old 04-26-2016, 12:07 PM
Bendeco
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
- what year car are we talking about?
It is leaking on the ground just between the passenger tire and the passenger door. It could be just a leaking at a clamp or something. I'm a crappy mechanic. I will do a little more investigating.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:37 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

It?s the heater valve ,I bet.probably leaked when you turn the car off.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:11 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by xrav22
It?s the heater valve ,I bet.probably leaked when you turn the car off.
good chance

And or the heater core hoses at firewall
Old 04-26-2016, 03:52 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Here's a little trick that 'might' work for you. After driving, wait a short time and take a look around the area you think it's leaking with a black light. Some antifreeze will light up under a black light. Might make it help stand out where it's coming from.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:59 PM
colter
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 58 Posts

Put coolant dye in the system, run it, then get out the UV light.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:51 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

As colter said - put some dye in the cooling system, drive the car a bit and look for the leak with a black light (preferably when it's dark out) - or pressurize the system with a pressure tester and look for / listen for the leak. You may get lucky and find a loose clamp or a deteriorated hose.

If the leak is on the ground / garage floor, and the pass compartment carpet up by the pass side footwell isn't wet - you are probably not looking at a heater core....
Old 04-29-2016, 12:38 AM
Bluezman
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Misery Loves Company

I hope you can get an answer on this. I have the exact same issue.

I've looked everywhere and can't find the leak. As far as I can tell, it isn't the heater core and none of the clamps have any antifreeze around them. I've checked every fitting I can find and every hose. Nothing is wet at all. But sure enough, I'll clean the antifreeze off the floor of the garage and in the morning, there's a small puddle.

It can't be from driving it because I can't drive my car right now. I topped off the coolant and noticed the leak the following day. It steadily drips on the passenger side behind the tire until the reservoir is about empty. Then it stops. I'll fill it again and it starts leaking again.

I though it was leaking out of the heater core at first because that is where the drip is. But I've removed the wheel-well and the small side panel (where the washer fluid tank is) and discovered that the drip seems to be running along the frame somehow from somewhere else.

I'm perplexed. I hope someone has ideas about this or the OP finds the problem because I'm getting nowhere with it. Sorry to hijack this thread but I almost feel liberated that someone else has the same problem.

Oh, by the way, my car is a 1990 convertible.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:51 AM
jsmn4vu
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluezman
It can't be from driving it because I can't drive my car right now. I topped off the coolant and noticed the leak the following day. It steadily drips on the passenger side behind the tire until the reservoir is about empty. Then it stops. I'll fill it again and it starts leaking again.
If the car is not being driven, and the reservoir is emptying but the radiator/block isn't, you've got a leaky reservoir.
The following users liked this post:
Bluezman (04-29-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 08:17 AM
darklordftt
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine was leaking from there, as the plastic box had separated from the brass fill cap/neck. Had to purchase a new one. I could see it pooling on the rim of the overflow box and leaving a residue.

My old thread on the topic with pics

Last edited by darklordftt; 04-29-2016 at 08:25 AM.
Bluezman (04-29-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 08:53 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

First, are you sure it's coolant? I've found the drain tubes over the years can get clogged up causing water to backup which always seems to affect the passenger side more then drivers. One tube is behind the battery and one on the passenger side both near the window intake vents. They are fairly easy to fine, but passenger side is a lot bigger then people expect, so easy to miss what you're looking at.

This thread show pictures of the tubes.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...be-length.html
Old 04-29-2016, 11:46 AM
Bluezman
Racer

Thanks for so much help. I hope the OP is reading these.

I'm sure it isn't the drain tubes because (this probably doesn't make a lot of sense) I have kept filling the tank with green antifreeze. The puddle is always green... And smells like pancakes with maple syrup. Not the worst smell in my garage, by the way!

But I digress.

Although some of you are thinking that this is obvious, I hadn't thought of checking for a leaky reservoir. I'll pull it and check tonight after work.

It would be a relief it that was it (no pun intended there).

The back story to this was that I had never noticed a leak before where the puddle shows up now, but I was always topping off the tank. My lower radiator hose was seeping and I thought that was where my coolant was going back when the Vette was road worthy. So I recently replaced the upper and lower hoses and filled the tank. That's when it started leaking on the passenger side. I guess tunnel vision made me think that the hoses or clamps were causing the leak since I had "touched" them while changing everything. It makes sense now that I think of it for the tank to have a leak. Its probably been that way for a long time.

...In fact, wouldn't a leak there cause lower boiling temps of the coolant? I mean, if so it would also explain another problem on my list...

This might turn out to be a great day after all!
Old 04-29-2016, 01:26 PM
darklordftt
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluezman
...Although some of you are thinking that this is obvious, I hadn't thought of checking for a leaky reservoir. I'll pull it and check tonight after work.
I would just open the hood and let the car run until you see something leak/drip 1st, before pulling anything off.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:21 PM
Bluezman
Racer

I think you're right. Running the car is something that has only been an option for a few days. I just recently put things back together so it would start. I'll check that first and go from there.

I guess hoping that it will heal itself isn't really going anywhere.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:03 PM
JamesThatGuyy
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to guess and say it's your coolant resevoir. Mine recently starting leaking where the metal opening sticks out of the plastic container (leaking between them and out).

If it is, copper sealant is a good temporary fix until you get a new one. A new resevoir will run you somewhere around $100.

For me it looked like it was running out of the hose that feeds from the radiator. Run your car and stand there for a little bit (leave the cap on so it will build pressure). If it is as bad as mine was, it will leak without the cap.
Bluezman (04-29-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Losing coolant up near the passenger side of the engine

Quick Reply: Losing coolant up near the passenger side of the engine