C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Who's that transmission Guru on here?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 09:22 AM
rsmith4604
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Who's that transmission Guru on here?

I've got a "reverse lock-out" problem on my 1993. The shifter looks nothing like stock shifter in the manual. I got hooked up with a fellow on here last time I tried to figure this problem out, but I lost his email. He knew every thing about shifters and transmissions. I'm ready to tear into it. I got as far as removing the shift pattern insert on the shifter ****. I thought I'd see a nut to remove ****. Nope, there's a 3/8" square, hammered steel end looking back at me. Don't know how it comes out. This shifter doesn't have the set screw in the plastic lift collar for 'reverse lock-out'. And it doesn't have the round rod that connects to the lock out block on the bottom. It has a 1/4" square key stock that has a set screw in it that runs down to the lock out block. That where the problem is. The set screw pushes that 1/4" key stock out against the plastic lift collar and everything lifts the reverse lock out block up. The problem is ....that 1/4" key stock is cracked in half at the weak set screw area and the set screw doesn't grab its threads and push anymore. I need some help. Don't even know to take this shifter apart, yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:02 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

A little hard to follow your post without seeing pics to help paint a better picture of what is going on, but it sounds like you just need a new reverse lockout collar with set screw?

To get the **** off:

-Put the shifter into 4th
-Remove shift pattern insert (you already have)
-Use a combo of needle nose pliars/flat blade screw driver/small crow bar to walk the drive pin out of the shift ****.

It looks like this when it is removed:

Then use a small allen key (I forget the correct size) to loosen the set screw and remove the lockout collar.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:23 AM
rsmith4604
Instructor

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
A little hard to follow your post without seeing pics to help paint a better picture of what is going on, but it sounds like you just need a new reverse lockout collar with set screw?

To get the **** off:

-Put the shifter into 4th
-Remove shift pattern insert (you already have)
-Use a combo of needle nose pliars/flat blade screw driver/small crow bar to walk the drive pin out of the shift ****.

It looks like this when it is removed:

Then use a small allen key (I forget the correct size) to loosen the set screw and remove the lockout collar.
I'll post some pics when I get further into it. Thanks so much. This info will get me closer to the problem. The lift collar has no set screw in it. And I found out, months ago, those lift collars are hard to find.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:59 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by rsmith4604
I'll post some pics when I get further into it. Thanks so much. This info will get me closer to the problem. The lift collar has no set screw in it. And I found out, months ago, those lift collars are hard to find.
Would love to see a pic of your lift collar. The set screw should be in the back, its a tiny hole.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:17 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Lift-ring was an available SPO part recently confirmed by a few. CC has also and maybe others. GM# 10079757

OP - you might want to maybe confirm the information on the transmission tag of yours. Perhaps the transmission has been replaced with the later and since the later is a "crash-thru" for reverse, parts were substituted in the earlier shifter to use and retain the stock appearance.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:10 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Lift-ring was an available SPO part recently confirmed by a few. CC has also and maybe others. GM# 10079757

OP - you might want to maybe confirm the information on the transmission tag of yours. Perhaps the transmission has been replaced with the later and since the later is a "crash-thru" for reverse, parts were substituted in the earlier shifter to use and retain the stock appearance.
I've always been interested to know how the crash thru design worked. Is there a mechanism that locks out reverse once the car is rolling forward at all? Wonder why they switched from the lock out ring design. I was able to get a lockout ring "kit" from the local Chevy dealer parts department, although they had to ship it in from a warehouse several states away. I think it was $15 if I remember right. Thankfully it comes with the small allen set screw.

Last edited by 1985 Corvette; 04-27-2016 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:04 AM
rsmith4604
Instructor

Default I temporary fixed it....

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
Would love to see a pic of your lift collar. The set screw should be in the back, its a tiny hole.
The transmission Guru on this forum is www.ZFDoc.com. I bought the draw bar that lifts the reverse lock out block up when you lift the collar. I looked at my lift collar and it looks like a previous owner filled the set screw hole with epoxy. The collar lifts the outer sleeve that the draw bar goes down through. In the one pic, the pen is pointing to the undercut spot that the set screw in the sleeve locks into the draw bar. The lift collar is set screwed to the sleeve, I guess. Anyways, I had the sleeve and lift collar working but the set screw that went through the sleeve to the draw bar was cracked and blown out. I found a wire coupling the right size and crimped it a little and drove it on to the lift bar, down to the sleeve. It's holding and working, long enough for me to sell the car. I bought a 2007 a month ago and that's my new love. Thanks guys for your help. I love the people on this forum.

The gold colored draw bar showing about 1".....Sleeve with cracked set screw hole just above lift collar.

A new draw bar I have pen pointing at undercut spot for set screw. Wire coupling used to secure draw bar to sleeve guide.

My new baby.....2007

Get notified of new replies

To Who's that transmission Guru on here?

Quick Reply: Who's that transmission Guru on here?