C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Ball Joints/Bushing Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 08:44 PM
jimmers
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Ball Joints/Bushing Replacement

Hey everyone. I'm going to be replacing my front ball joints and bushings, but have a few questions. I've read the Moog Ball joints are the way to go, but are a tight fit. Are the ACDELCO ones easier to install?
As far as removing the lower control arms, my FSM says I need to use a leaf spring compressor and adapters. Is there another way to do it? I've never tackled any suspension work before, but it seems fairly easy from reading the FSM. Once I'm done, do I need an alignment?
Thanks!
Old 04-29-2016, 08:51 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

You don't need compressor to take it apart. You will need a tool to separate ball joint from knuckle. Jack stands and a floor jack will do to take it apart. Lower ball joint is pressed into lower control arm so it has to be very tight fit or it can can out while driving. That would be a bad day. I doubt there is much difference from brand to brand. If you take front spring loose from cross member you may need spring compressor to re-install spring. The full weight of car will need to be on front end before attempting to tighten spring retaining brackets to cross member. Spring compressor is designed to take arch out of center of spring. You will want to at least have alignment checked. Because of wear in old parts and manufacturer's tolerances of new parts alignment could change a little.

Last edited by Kevova; 04-29-2016 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:29 AM
jimmers
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Kevova
If you take front spring loose from cross member you may need spring compressor to re-install spring. The full weight of car will need to be on front end before attempting to tighten spring retaining brackets to cross member. Spring compressor is designed to take arch out of center of spring.
Thanks for the reply. According to the FSM I need to compress the spring to remove the lower control arm. Maybe I don't understand you correctly. Is there a way to do this without the tool?

Old 04-29-2016, 09:47 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

With car on jack stands and a floor jack under lower ball joint since you're replacing it. With weight on jack separate ball joint from knuckle then lower jack control arm. Spring pressure will release from control arm as it is lowered. I would leave grease fitting off balljoint until after it is re-attached to knuckle during re-assembly.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:50 AM
jimmers
Safety Car

With car on jack stands and a floor jack under lower ball joint since you're replacing it. With weight on jack separate ball joint from knuckle then lower jack control arm. Spring pressure will release from control arm as it is lowered. I would leave grease fitting off balljoint until after it is re-attached to knuckle during re-assembly.
I need to remove the control arm to replace the bushings, not just the ball joint.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:47 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Once spring pressure is off control arm, bolts can be removed. At this moment my vette is sitting with control arms loosely installed to be completed tomorrow. I however did cheat a little, the rear control arm bolts requires motor mount brackets to be removed to get bolts out. I chose to cut bolts instead and installed new oem bolts facing opposite direction. When re-installing arm sliding rear bushing in to frame first install something to hold it then slide front in place. I'm sure there is a U tube video out there.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:10 PM
sluggballz
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 121 Posts

Once spring pressure is off control arm, bolts can be removed. At this moment my vette is sitting with control arms loosely installed to be completed tomorrow. I however did cheat a little, the rear control arm bolts requires motor mount brackets to be removed to get bolts out. I chose to cut bolts instead and installed new oem bolts facing opposite direction. When re-installing arm sliding rear bushing in to frame first install something to hold it then slide front in place. I'm sure there is a U tube video out there.
I agree with Kevova, I ended up cutting and replacing the rear lower control arm bolts. One thing I did do when reinstalling the lower arms was to take a pry bar and , from left to right, pry the opening for the bolt/pivot housing ( both front and back )open a little. The poly bushings are a little thicker than stock and wouldn't go in for me otherwise. As long as the car is up high enough, when the tension comes off of the lower c/a , the c/a will drop down below the lowest point of the spring, then you can unbolt and take the control arms out. Good luck! It sure is a fun job.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:53 PM
jimmers
Safety Car

Thanks. I was confused from the previous post, but this makes sense.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:55 PM
jimmers
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sluggballz
I agree with Kevova, I ended up cutting and replacing the rear lower control arm bolts. One thing I did do when reinstalling the lower arms was to take a pry bar and , from left to right, pry the opening for the bolt/pivot housing ( both front and back )open a little. The poly bushings are a little thicker than stock and wouldn't go in for me otherwise. As long as the car is up high enough, when the tension comes off of the lower c/a , the c/a will drop down below the lowest point of the spring, then you can unbolt and take the control arms out. Good luck! It sure is a fun job.
Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Ball Joints/Bushing Replacement

Quick Reply: Ball Joints/Bushing Replacement