C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Headlight motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 06:22 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Headlight motor

Hi everyone,

I'm having an issue with the drivers side headlight. The lights opens and closes but after closing the motor continues to run for several seconds and the light assembly judders in place accompanied by a loud thumping. What's even more odd, if I only turn on the park light so that headlight neither pop up or illuminate, when I turn them off the headlight motor runs on the drivers side only even though the assembly is closed and it makes the noise/judder.

Any ideas? It seems almost as if there is a limit switch out of adjustment that is allowing the motor to run beyond when the light is closed. At the same time, I can't explain why it tries to close the light even when it was never opened in the first place.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:01 AM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

So far, knock on wood, I have no experience with my Corvette's lights.

I do however have lots of experience with my son's 2001 Trans Am's pop up headlights.

What you describe is similar to what happens to his car the lights will close but the motor keeps running. Turn them back on and only one pops up.

I'm sure GM uses a similar design across the board. In their infinite wisdom, instead of using metal gears in the headlight motors they used nylon gears.

The gears wear and eventually fail. Sounds like it's time for a headlight motor.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:04 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

What year if it is a newer one it is 6 bucks worth of pucks. Many threads on this and a video on youtube for the fix.

It is doing what most will do at some point easy cheap fix. I bought the gears with the pucks off ebay just needed the pucks like most. If you can find it get the gasket.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 05-02-2016 at 07:08 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:21 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Antfarmer, it's a 94. It's done it only twice, the original time that made me go WTF was that and a second time when I was pressing buttons and turning ***** trying to find the culprit.

The electric part of the motor seems just fine so I'd prefer to repair over replace the whole unit. I'll try to find some YouTube videos this evening. Thanks for the headsup.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:40 AM
jsmn4vu
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

As mentioned, it's a "normal failure." Mine did exactly the same thing. Inside a plastic gear are three little plastic pucks which disintegrate. $6 and an hour's work, and everything is back to normal.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:24 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by jmgtp
Antfarmer, it's a 94. It's done it only twice, the original time that made me go WTF was that and a second time when I was pressing buttons and turning ***** trying to find the culprit.

The electric part of the motor seems just fine so I'd prefer to repair over replace the whole unit. I'll try to find some YouTube videos this evening. Thanks for the headsup.
Mine is a 94 too. The pucks or bushings can be bought at some local parts stores in the help section too they are used in some window regulators too. Do both sides it will not be far behind.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 05-02-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:06 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

The mentioned YouTube video:

Old 05-03-2016, 07:50 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
The mentioned YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPj1kJm4AnU
I found this same video last night. My car has the exact symptoms. Great video, is it a forum member?

I ordered two sets of pins on the thought that I would preemptively replace the passenger side. In the video he has the more comprehensive kit, but it seems in my case that the pins are the likely culprit.

The pin kit doesn't come with grease which is the one downside. Does anyone know what type of grease is used and friendly on the plastic? Would be nice to freshen that up while in there.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:13 AM
mhobtr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Has anyone replaced the pucks without removing the entire headlight assembly?

Looks like it might be possible to drive out the pin then remove the gear cover assembly while the motor is still in place.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:23 AM
jsmn4vu
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mhobtr
Looks like it might be possible to drive out the pin then remove the gear cover assembly while the motor is still in place.
It does look that way. I seem to recall reading that while it can be done, it's actually easier to remove the assembly from the car to do it.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:28 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by mhobtr

Just take out the whole assembly.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight motor

Quick Reply: Headlight motor