C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 05:52 PM
krukker76
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 Corvette

So, I let this guy sit in my vette and he pulled the automatic gear shifter from park to drive, without depressing the button. Just previous I added some generic automatic transmission fluid. I shifted it back into gear after having a heart attack, and when I drove away I heard a ticking sound and now my tranny is slipping in low gears and making a ticking sound. I took a quart out to see if maybe I overfilled it, but it reads accurate on the stick. What do you think the chances are that he ruined my tranny. Maybe I put the wrong transmission fluid in? Is that possible? Help!

Last edited by krukker76; 05-05-2016 at 12:11 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:07 PM
krukker76
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should have said Transmission problem, i'm a dummy.

It seems to only do it once it gets warm. Maybe its clogged?
Old 05-03-2016, 07:26 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by krukker76
It seems to only do it once it gets warm. Maybe its clogged?
Something is really wrong Herr. The brake lock should also have prevented shifting without the button. The same button protects from bumping into reverse at 70mph. You need to use destroy 3fluid or better and the tyranny should be fine. My guess is it had a problem before I would get it fixed properly
Old 05-04-2016, 02:00 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by krukker76
So, I let this guy sit in my vette and he pulled the automatic gear shifter from park to drive, without depressing the button. Just previous I added some generic automatic transmission fluid. I shifted it back into gear after having a heart attack, and when I drove away I heard a ticking sound and now my tranny is slipping in low gears and making a ticking sound. I think it is burning oil too. I took a quart out to see if maybe I overfilled it, but it reads accurate on the stick. What do you think the chances are that he ruined my tranny. Maybe I put the wrong transmission fluid in? Is that possible? Help!
Hi

Nothing wrong with going from park to drive, was the ignition on ?
The shifter is usually locked out from anything but P unless the ignition switch is on. Via the steering column, the lock out.

What color is the trans fluid? it should be bright red if its brown the trans is toast, moving the shifter while parked ignition on or off wont be a problem.

The only trans fluid you should use is Dextron 11 or dextron 111
The fluid container will say for ford or GM, perhaps try changing the fluid but there will be some left in the torque converter.

Good luck .... these turbo700R4's are not cheap to rebuild.

Last edited by gerardvg; 05-04-2016 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:55 AM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Sorry for spelling was on my tablet at work in the dark, dextron 3 is what I have been using and my tranny has been strong
Old 05-04-2016, 06:33 AM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

I doubt what your buddy did with the shifter would have damaged the transmission's innards. May have damaged the shifter but not the transmission itself.

You said you added fluid just before the incident. Is there a leak somewhere?

What does 'you think it is burning oil' have to do with the rest of your post?

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 Corvette

Quick Reply: 1985 Corvette