C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Strange AC issue on my 96 after stereo work

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 06:42 PM
Red88Vert
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Strange AC issue on my 96 after stereo work

I've searched hi and low and can't find this situation in any of the threads.

After doing some stereo work on my 96, I find that my AUTO settings don't work on my climate controller. I can get everything to work just fine manually setting buttons, but the Auto setting will not control the AC. Also, whatever I set it to.....60, 65, 72, etc, resets to 75 temp and 0 fan speed after I turn the car off and on. I checked both AC fuses and they are fine.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-28-2016, 06:49 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

It is self testing. Look on youtube to see how. Sounds like your radio install had something to do with it.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:51 PM
Red88Vert
Instructor

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
It is self testing. Look on youtube to see how. Sounds like your radio install had something to do with it.
I ran the diagnostic mode and there are no codes. It's like the auto function doesn't have any power, and it can't keep the setting. I did have the battery disconnected for a few hours.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:48 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

You may have to pull the head unit and check the plug, maybe you pulled on the wires and got one lose.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:15 PM
Red88Vert
Instructor

Originally Posted by We Gone
You may have to pull the head unit and check the plug, maybe you pulled on the wires and got one lose.
Yep. That's next on the list.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:51 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

I'm guessing (because there's no wiring schematic avaliable) but it sounds like battery voltage is no longer avaliable to the control head. Typically this is an orange wire. Ignition will be red. I could see where somone might cut into a battery feed at the hvac control head instead of the radio harness. Anyway that's where I would start .....

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 05-29-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:14 PM
Red88Vert
Instructor

Originally Posted by Amotoxracer
I'm guessing (because there's no wiring schematic avaliable) but it sounds like battery voltage is no longer avaliable to the control head. Typically this is an orange wire. Ignition will be red. I could see where somone might cut into a battery feed at the hvac control head instead of the radio harness. Anyway that's where I would start .....
Yep, except the bumbling stereo shop is me Not saying that I haven't made some mistakes over the last 30 years of installs, but it's pretty straight forward, and I'm really **** about stuff.

The only thing that I did before this occurred was to tap on a battery fuse block in front of the battery. I just added a ring connector on top of the one that runs off of the battery. The bolt goes all the way through the block, and it's a simple tap. At least the system rocks!

The wacky part is that all of the other functions on the controller work fine, but the auto button, and the setting won't hold the last setting after key off. I seem to think that it may be another fuse, but I just haven't had a chance to check every mini fuse yet. Trying to put the interior back together after the speaker and amp install.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:25 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Red88Vert
Yep, except the bumbling stereo shop is me Not saying that I haven't made some mistakes over the last 30 years of installs, but it's pretty straight forward, and I'm really **** about stuff.

The only thing that I did before this occurred was to tap on a battery fuse block in front of the battery. I just added a ring connector on top of the one that runs off of the battery. The bolt goes all the way through the block, and it's a simple tap. At least the system rocks!

The wacky part is that all of the other functions on the controller work fine, but the auto button, and the setting won't hold the last setting after key off. I seem to think that it may be another fuse, but I just haven't had a chance to check every mini fuse yet. Trying to put the interior back together after the speaker and amp install.
If you have a test light it should be to determine ... honestly I would trade the auto function for badass sound anyway.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:11 AM
Red88Vert
Instructor

Originally Posted by Amotoxracer
If you have a test light it should be to determine ... honestly I would trade the auto function for badass sound anyway.
It does sound pretty dang good!

Get notified of new replies

To Strange AC issue on my 96 after stereo work

Quick Reply: Strange AC issue on my 96 after stereo work