C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

gas tank pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 11:44 PM
kprowler8
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas tank pressure

my 1986 is getting major pressure build up in the gas tank and releasing through the gas cap, has anyone experienced this problem.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:24 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

My 94 releases pressure normal for mine.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:07 AM
89onlyZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Yes, it's probably a clogged vent line. They usually clog where it transitions from metal to rubber and back in front of the drivers side rear wheel.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:08 PM
kprowler8
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by kprowler8
my 1986 is getting major pressure build up in the gas tank and releasing through the gas cap, has anyone experienced this problem.
I'm talking major pressure, it was hissing very loud and I could see heavy fumes coming from the back, at first I thought a fuel line came loose and gas was coming out but it was just fumes
Old 05-31-2016, 09:47 PM
gdl2165
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 83 Posts

Check that vent line quickly, I can recall a couple separate threads over the last couple years where they had this same issue, didn't address it quickly enough, and their gas tanks blew up like a balloon.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:55 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

This thread talks about your problem:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nk-normal.html

I have only seen it when the car is very warm. I usually go directly from home to the nearest gas station when I'm a little low on fuel and I never see it.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:35 AM
exitwound
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Your fuel cap is non vented and there's a pressure relief line running from the tank through the brake pipe bundle on the LH sill all the way to the charcoal can in the front LH corner. When you start up, a solenoid allows the fumes in the can to be passed to the TB to be burnt via the air intake.

Problem is, that this vent pipe in the bundle is just another piece of steel brake pipe and easily blocks stopping any venting of the tank. I removed my whole EVAP system and fitted the tank with a 'roll over' valve that lets the tank breathe, but will shut off if the cars upside down.

Of course, you could easily just fit a vented cap and that will sort your problem out easily.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:11 PM
kprowler8
Heel & Toe

I think I found it, the small section of metal line up front just before the canister coming from the tank is totally stopped up, I have it soaking with penitrating oil to see if it will clear out , it would not even blow out with full air pressure and it is a custom made line and don't see finding a new replacement. I'm hoping that this is it. Thanks for the info
Originally Posted by exitwound
Your fuel cap is non vented and there's a pressure relief line running from the tank through the brake pipe bundle on the LH sill all the way to the charcoal can in the front LH corner. When you start up, a solenoid allows the fumes in the can to be passed to the TB to be burnt via the air intake.

Problem is, that this vent pipe in the bundle is just another piece of steel brake pipe and easily blocks stopping any venting of the tank. I removed my whole EVAP system and fitted the tank with a 'roll over' valve that lets the tank breathe, but will shut off if the cars upside down.

Of course, you could easily just fit a vented cap and that will sort your problem out easily.

Get notified of new replies

To gas tank pressure

Quick Reply: gas tank pressure