C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Bad Timken Bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 06:22 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Bad Timken Bearings?

Has anyone else had any issues with Timken bearings?

3 years ago in March, I replaced all of the bearings on my '91 Z07 because I was taking it back to the track after years of semi-retirement. Bought new sets from an online vendor and installed them on the car.

Now, 3 years later and <5k miles the rear bearings are toast. I have nearly 2" of play in the rear. I've done 3 track weekends at CotA, and a few SCCA parking lot autocrosses in that time. Never been off track or hit anything...the fronts are solid.

Just wondering if Timken had a lot that went out that had some issues...I've still got one of each box with the best used bearings that were on the car in case I needed one at a track weekend, so it has the label and all the bar codes.

I've sent a note to Timken to ask them...this is the 3rd set I've put on the car since 1991...and by far the least durable for rear bearings.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:35 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by 1991Z07
Has anyone else had any issues with Timken bearings?

3 years ago in March, I replaced all of the bearings on my '91 Z07 because I was taking it back to the track after years of semi-retirement. Bought new sets from an online vendor and installed them on the car.

Now, 3 years later and <5k miles the rear bearings are toast. I have nearly 2" of play in the rear. I've done 3 track weekends at CotA, and a few SCCA parking lot autocrosses in that time. Never been off track or hit anything...the fronts are solid.

Just wondering if Timken had a lot that went out that had some issues...I've still got one of each box with the best used bearings that were on the car in case I needed one at a track weekend, so it has the label and all the bar codes.

I've sent a note to Timken to ask them...this is the 3rd set I've put on the car since 1991...and by far the least durable for rear bearings.
Wow this is unusual, Timken are one of the best brand I know a lot on here rave about them.

My original delco bearings were replaced a year ago, they had done 175,000 miles. And I track my vette often..
They were starting to make a rumble noise but no play, I found some new old stock AC Delco wheel bearings.

Note you have to torque the spindle nut to around 180 foot pounds, check them.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:48 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Wow this is unusual, Timken are one of the best brand I know a lot on here rave about them.

My original delco bearings were replaced a year ago, they had done 175,000 miles. And I track my vette often..
They were starting to make a rumble noise but no play, I found some new old stock AC Delco wheel bearings.

Note you have to torque the spindle nut to around 180 foot pounds, check them.
Everything was put back together torqued to specs...

Yeah, it's unusual for sure...I wouldn't think it was a lot run issue except that BOTH of them went at the same time while the fronts are fine. I've had 1 go and replaced them all just because I don't want the hassle of working through them all at different times...I figure if 1 goes they all are ready to go at any time.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:06 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Everything was put back together torqued to specs...

Yeah, it's unusual for sure...I wouldn't think it was a lot run issue except that BOTH of them went at the same time while the fronts are fine. I've had 1 go and replaced them all just because I don't want the hassle of working through them all at different times...I figure if 1 goes they all are ready to go at any time.
I think it may be time to go to another brand ''SKF'' are quite good also, its getting bad with so much being made in China.
You just cannot be sure that you are getting a quality USA made item, price may be a give away. However there are sellers that pick up cheap junk, then sell it as premium at a premium price.

Good luck with your next wheel bearings, I have had my vette for over 20 years and the originals did 175,000 miles till I noticed the tell tale noises .

She Aint no trailer queen and has done countless laps during track days, even god forbid rough dirt tracks and went the distance...

Last edited by gerardvg; 06-20-2016 at 02:09 AM.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:16 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

CACC parts (Cheap Azz Chinese Crap)
Old 06-20-2016, 02:49 AM
odxr
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I buy alot of parts from Rock auto.They usually have a choice between no name stuff and name brand parts.Whats frustrating is when you pay up for name brand parts and when you open up the box the part says made in some not USA country.I just got a window regulator for a 2000 Toyota Camry from them.Website wouldnt say what brand it was-it was the cheapest pick for a cheap customer.Part says it was made in the USA.Some NOS AC Delco or GM parts in dusty boxes would probably be the best pick on this application.Or try another name brand like SKF.As the c4's get older its probably going to be harder to get 1st quality parts for them.I was working at a shop in 1987 and changed a rear wheel bearing on a 85 vette and the shop had to buy it from the dealer=at $275.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:41 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
CACC parts (Cheap Azz Chinese Crap)
It actually says "Made in America" right on the box...
Old 06-20-2016, 09:56 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

It is my understanding that most of the USA Timken plants have moved over seas to China/Taiwan/Mexico. They may still have a few assembly plants but I bet most of the bearings are chinese sourced now, regardless of brand.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:25 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Just like nuts and bolts, AC Delco parts and others, Timkin bearings probably are subject to counterfeiting.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:58 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
Just like nuts and bolts, AC Delco parts and others, Timkin bearings probably are subject to counterfeiting.
I'll buy into the "counterfeiting" thing for sure.

It actually says "Made in America" right on the box...
You didn't mention "THE SOURCE" - anything other than a "local" purchase with known/trusted parts vendor should be considered very suspect to "counterfeiting".
Old 06-20-2016, 12:44 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I'll buy into the "counterfeiting" thing for sure. I suppose it's possible...

You didn't mention "THE SOURCE" - anything other than a "local" purchase with known/trusted parts vendor should be considered very suspect to "counterfeiting".
I ordered them from Parts Authority...

Strange thing is the fronts show that as the "vendor" on the Timken barcode label on the box for the fronts.

For the rears, it shows a number instead of a vendor name...

Still waiting for Timken to get back to me.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:59 AM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
It is my understanding that most of the USA Timken plants have moved over seas to China/Taiwan/Mexico. They may still have a few assembly plants but I bet most of the bearings are chinese sourced now, regardless of brand.
This is unfortunately correct , I talked to a SKF rep . He says there are only a few manufactures for bearings ,and they all buy from each other .
Old 06-22-2016, 08:01 AM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What shape are your U-joints in ? Play between the caps and pins . They hold the wheel
Old 06-22-2016, 11:04 AM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
The "local trusted vendors" around here have mostly gone to fulfilling orders for name brand parts with white box parts warranted for the same term. Even the last GM part I bought (for a premium) at the dealer came in an AC Delco box but had a Dorman part inside!
Old 06-22-2016, 12:55 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Rob31
What shape are your U-joints in ? Play between the caps and pins . They hold the wheel
Brand new Spicer's put on at the same time...no problems.

The rear stub axle seals were leaking...so I pulled the rear end and refreshed everything while I had it out.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:15 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

..... I have nearly 2" of play in the rear......
Wow. They must be really close to coming apart.

When I could feel any play I replaced mine, but usually it was probably less than 1/4".

My '96 originals failed at 40k miles.

As for brands/prices/sources, I have done quite a few of them.

On my white '94 I bought the first set from a local parts store ($180 each). They failed in under 20k miles. Then I bought the cheapest I could find ($39 ea) Precision bearings and they held up for more than 25k miles and were still good when I sold the car.

The next set I bought was a Precision brand close out from Rock Auto ($26 each). The came in National boxes and both the boxes and parts were stamped "Made In USA".

The next set I bought was a no name ($23 ea). L&S Automotive Products close out. These appeared to be old stock and were Moog bearings that were also made in USA.

I think you take your chances now with anything you buy. Even the name brands are buying Chinese stuff and some of the no name or lesser brands are using better quality parts. You just don't know.

I am sure I will get flamed for buying cheap, but when it is only an hour or two job to change them out if needed, I thought I would take a chance on it. So far it has worked out pretty well.

Good luck.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:17 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

How many miles on them before you took it to the track

around here the autocrossers buy the cheap stuff, only they break them in beforehand.

Get notified of new replies

To Bad Timken Bearings?

Old 06-23-2016, 10:52 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
How many miles on them before you took it to the track

around here the autocrossers buy the cheap stuff, only they break them in beforehand.
I ran them around the road for a few hundred miles before taking it to the track. The car had been in storage for a few years before then...and I wanted to make sure I wouldn't have any issues.

What is strange is that just the rears went, both of them and as bad as each other when I replaced ALL of them at the same time.

Timken is confused about this as well...I talked to them the other day.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:45 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

....What is strange is that just the rears went, both of them and as bad as each other when I replaced ALL of them at the same time....
I have never had a C4 with a front wheel bearing bad (cross my fingers for continued luck), but I have had 4 or 5 C4's that the rear ones failed. I suspect that the rear bearings are not designed strong enough if you do much aggressive cornering.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:20 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by QCVette
I have never had a C4 with a front wheel bearing bad (cross my fingers for continued luck), but I have had 4 or 5 C4's that the rear ones failed. I suspect that the rear bearings are not designed strong enough if you do much aggressive cornering.
The rear bearings are also subject to a lot more rotational stress and 300+ lb./ft. of torque.

Quick Reply: Bad Timken Bearings?