C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1994 DIC question, A Thank You and a Rant

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 08:34 PM
TheWhiteHat
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1994 DIC question, A Thank You and a Rant

Hi All,
As I said in an earlier post I just bought my first Vette at the tender age of 52 and I am trying to get it fully operational and fixed properly.

Thank You

I can't adequately thank every person who posted a thread about an issue and how to fix it! I have learned more and been able to fix things I never would have thought I could. That is only due to the posters who have posted to this forum! I thank God for finding this forum. It has allowed me to have a priceless knowledge base that I could never had learned all on my own in the years I have left! So Thanks to all of you!!

Question

I am currently working on the DIC. I have been struggling for over an hour trying to figure out how to change the warning bulbs. I think I know the answer,and I am hoping it is not that I am a moron. However I was beginning to think I was and I want to be sure I am not. When replacing the Warning Light Bulbs on the DIC you do so via the front, Correct? You remove the metal plate and the screen to access and replace the bulbs? You do not do it from the rear.

The reason I ask this question will probably be abudantly clear when you see the pictures below.

There was no metal Bracket on this when I removed it from the car. Where did it go?

Evidently he lost the Bracket so this was his solution???????

Rant

Now how am I supposed to get this off? I don't normally hate anyone but whoever had this car before me........I am beginning to have a very strong dislike for!
I mean I have found more things that have been either halfway done or just simply hidden. Bulbs removed, sensors unplugged.

A bracket broke, no problem just use a sheet metal screw too screw it into the console. Lose a screw, no problem just grab a sheet metal screw and screw it into the door panel. I mean it goes on and on...

If you can't afford to fix it correctly then you can't afford the car! Don't buy it!!!

Even worse if you just won't fix it correctly then you do not deserve a car like a Corvette please don't buy one!!

I have thought about simply selling the car and trying again but I simply can't knowingly stick someone else as I was and also I am now personally invested in the old girl. I need to show her some TLC after she was abused for so long! I know there is no fool like an old fool.

Thanks again!

Old 06-26-2016, 12:28 PM
gdl2165
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 83 Posts

I've never done it myself but I think the bulbs actually come out the back. Batee sells a kit to replace all the DIC bulbs and all but two of them are mounted in the sockets that twist out of the back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bulb-Kit-90-...VWCq26&vxp=mtr
The following users liked this post:
TheWhiteHat (07-02-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 01:14 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

OP - As mentioned all except the 2 that back-lite the actual DIC buttons are removed by a "twist" of the gray socket and removing. Why the adhesive? Somewhat unexplained but it's what you've got to deal with I wouldn't be very concerned if the PC was correct and it was bulbed correctly. You might compare the FILM to the FSM for proper placement of the bulb/socket as compared to options on the car and also the script on the filter/lens.

You could note bulb position when removing and holding the DIC up to a light source. The filter/lens varies year to year. There should be a label on your housing. What is the part number on the label?

Do you have the FSM for the car?

Not all of the socket provisions will be populated.

DIC filter/lens is shown in 8C-4 of the FSM. Compare that image to yours and bulb/socket to only those applicable to your options.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 06-26-2016 at 01:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TheWhiteHat (07-02-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To 1994 DIC question, A Thank You and a Rant

Quick Reply: 1994 DIC question, A Thank You and a Rant