C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 A/C Repair/Parts Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 12:02 PM
CorvetteSubVet
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 A/C Repair/Parts Question

First time on this forum, so I hope I can provide enough information. I may have posted before in the wrong thread.

I had to covert from R-12 to R134a due to a leak that discharged my system. After converting over, everything was working fine especially after I fixed the leak. The summer hit and I was low on R-134a. Replacing it I saw exactly where a new leak was coming from. It was the fitting on the HP side hose (evaporator hose?). It was at location 10 of the #11 hose.

I thought I could replace the Schroeder value and fix the leak, but it seems like the Schroeder value on this line is not replaceable. The valve is replaceable on the accumulator since as part of the conversion I got one with an R-134a fitting. Unfortunately the new adapter on the HP side was a pass through and does not have a value inside to stop the pressure.

After some research it seems like that hose (GM part # 10077229) is discontinued and no longer available. I have tried looking for that part online at most corvette part shops with no luck.

For anyone with experience in part hunting or older repairs, what suggestions do you have to help stop this leak and still have the ability to take HP readings on the AC system? I definitely can’t go without AC.

Last edited by CorvetteSubVet; 06-27-2016 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:34 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

New cap and mylog sealer will work and save you time and money comes in red and blue.

One post is enough welcome to the forum.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 06-27-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:57 PM
NavAir
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
New cap and mylog sealer will work and save you time and money comes in red and blue.

One post is enough welcome to the forum.
I'll second the Nylog sealant. The stuff looks and handles like snot (really), but it will seal almost any leaking valve that you can cap.

https://www.amazon.com/Refrigeration...keywords=nylog

Steve
Old 06-29-2016, 08:47 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

I agree with antfarmer and corvettesubvet - try the sealer first. However - if that doesn't work - you have several options.

Option #1 - try some of the places that part out old C4's - They may have that hose available. I seem t remember Vette-2- Vette as being one place...

Option #2 - pull the hose out - and take it to a place that does auto A/C work. There are repair fittings that have ferrules that can be installed onto the good section of line - and will allow you to "splice in" a new section of line - one with a High Pressure Port included. This won't be super cheap but it should work. I've seem the repair couplings used on several vehicles - all with good results.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 A/C Repair/Parts Question

Quick Reply: C4 A/C Repair/Parts Question