C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

want insulation plug wire wrap

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 09:54 PM
bob arrowsmith
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default want insulation plug wire wrap

I have been experiencing a miss for some time now on my 96 so i finally went out to look at my plug wires, i was not able to thread the new Taylor wire through the original route on the drivers side so i side stepped on the out side of the original route , i could not squeeze all 4 wires through, i discovered a badly melted wire, so now i want to go the original wires with the original insulation wrap like the factory, so they will fit through the original location,, where can i get the exact wires with the wrap on them, i have looked but think i want to stick with some ones personal experience these taylors were supposed to be original length but were to long so i made due, my bad. ,,,,thanks

Last edited by bob arrowsmith; 07-02-2016 at 05:56 AM.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:43 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Unsure where you're referring to so here's my situation and what I ended up doing. I had the Chevy garage do mine last year mainly because I was afraid the plugs were still the originals and didn't want to damage the heads if they were stuck as I wasn't in a position to deal with that.
I had some straightening up to do (which was done after the picture was taken) of the wires. I found that the old wires had burnt onto the air tube over the manifolds so wanted to resolve that. I added some heat wrap to those air tubes and got some heat sleeves to put on the bottom of the plug wires. The sleeves were designed with metal rings in the bottom, which didn't fit over the boots and I didn't want to remove the boots so I cut the rings instead.
It seems to work pretty good and I'm happy with what I ended up with.

Hope that helps.
Attached Images  
Old 07-02-2016, 07:30 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Are those wire dividers metal?
Old 07-02-2016, 07:32 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

You mentioned "wrap". Are you actually wanting the conduit that some of the wires may have on them likely near the opti? Do you maybe still have your old original wires so you can more accurately determine length?
Old 07-02-2016, 09:21 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Moroso makes plug heat sleeves. You will take a boot off to install them. Since wires are too long I would install them while shortening wires.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:13 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
Are those wire dividers metal?
Yes they are. They're 2 piece with a set screw to hold the halves together.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:18 AM
bob arrowsmith
Racer

Originally Posted by hcbph
Yes they are. They're 2 piece with a set screw to hold the halves together.
i still have the old wires with 85000 miles on them , i kept for back up. yes i mean the wrap close to the opti,,,
Old 07-02-2016, 10:31 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bob arrowsmith
i still have the old wires with 85000 miles on them , i kept for back up. yes i mean the wrap close to the opti,,,
They should have just "split corrugated" conduit on them. That should be a fairly easy find locally I'd think and even in a higher heat specification likely not a problem. You could likely find an ID that's a snug fit and there's braided product if you actually had the boots removed while assembling the wires from scratch.

A GOOGLE search for "corrugated wire conduit" should get you many results and locally there should be many sources.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:52 AM
bob arrowsmith
Racer

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
They should have just "split corrugated" conduit on them. That should be a fairly easy find locally I'd think and even in a higher heat specification likely not a problem. You could likely find an ID that's a snug fit and there's braided product if you actually had the boots removed while assembling the wires from scratch.

A GOOGLE search for "corrugated wire conduit" should get you many results and locally there should be many sources.
thank wvzr, i have looked at the corrugated but that will be too thick, i need the kind that came with the orignal plugs which were wrapped very tightly around the wires in the opti area allowing the plugs to go through the very tight space that the factory allowed it to go through i tried uncurling them from the old wires but do to age they will just snap so chose to leave them on.

Last edited by bob arrowsmith; 07-02-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:31 PM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by bob arrowsmith
thank wvzr, i have looked at the corrugated but that will be too thick, i need the kind that came with the orignal plugs which were wrapped very tightly around the wires in the opti area allowing the plugs to go through the very tight space that the factory allowed it to go through i tried uncurling them from the old wires but do to age they will just snap so chose to leave them on.
There's also a spiral wrap that is used in various areas, but that is more for abrasion resistance than heat. I've never seen it on the shelves, but would think that some electrical tape wrapped around the plug wires in that area would provide the same protection.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:18 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Not the original stuff you're looking for but I had a miss/arc and used this product.

Name:  image-822295660.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  693.0 KB

Name:  image-2843201405.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  523.4 KB
Old 07-02-2016, 06:23 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Here's a thread with an LT4 "display" engine and the conduit I mentioned is used near the distributor cap (right side) and there's a "spiral" sheathing that's used between a couple stand-offs and the spark plugs. On the left side the sheathing is at the cap near where the wires need to tuck behind I believe the idler/tensioner or whatever. There's no accessory drive on the display. I wouldn't think it a difficult find either. I didn't realize that all builds got the sheathing at the left side. Did your old have?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1580716251

There's spiral wrap PTFE product that does up to 268° C

Here's a link to a Parker product that might be of interest.

http://ph.parker.com/us/en/ptfe-spiral-cut-cable-wrap

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-03-2016 at 08:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
A Peter C4 (07-13-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 01:32 PM
bob arrowsmith
Racer

thank you so much for everybodys help, i now can complete this job properly, again this forum is the best.

Get notified of new replies

To want insulation plug wire wrap

Quick Reply: want insulation plug wire wrap